• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emmersed grown Echinodorus Bleheri,when to remove old leaves

Burnleygaz

I`ve been removing the emmersed leaves when the surface area gets about 75% yellow once a week when i do my water change, but i`ve noticed that the next 2-3 days after this is when i`m getting the most new leaves coming thru , would it be better to be a bit more aggressive ?

The plants have been in the tank for around 4 weeks now , im dosing EI for ferts and using excel at the reccomended dose .

Re: Emmersed grown Echinodorus Bleheri,when to remove old le

I tend to wait until I have 2 or 3 new leaves coming through (so I know the plant is growing OK submersed) then remove all the old leaves.

I remove pretty much all the old leaves before planting. Can be heartbreaking when hacking up something like a motherplant, but she will grow back just as strong.

JamesM said:
I remove pretty much all the old leaves before planting. Can be heartbreaking when hacking up something like a motherplant, but she will grow back just as strong.

This is true.. I got some Marbled Echinodorus from a forum user and they were in so much bad state that I took everything out. Now, two months after they are starting to sprout some leaves.. :)

ghostsword said:
Now, two months after they are starting to sprout some leaves.. :)

That leads onto the question I ask myself...
By removing all the leaves does it take longer for the plant to get going?
I figure it can probably take some light in from the emersed leaves to get going.
I wonder?

Matt, if you remove all the leaves, then the plant needs a very good substrate to get nutrients in order to build more leaves, also lots of CO2, as it cannot produce any energy from light.

I was rash and removed the leaves, hence it took me 2 months to get 10cm leaves.. :)

That makes good sense, thanks Luis.
I've also heard that decaying leaves can put a strain on the plant.
So tying that in with your experience and answering the original question... I think maybe optimum initial growth could be obtained by removing the old leaves as when there is any sign of decay on them.

Yes, remove the old or leaves with holes.. The plant seems to spend energy trying to repair what cannot be repaired. Obviously, if all leaves are messed up, I think that it is best to leave a couple and wait for new ones.

This is based on my experience with amazon swords, other plants may behave diferently.

For example, Cryptos have enough energy on the rhyzome to allow for new leaves to pop up quickly enough.

Thanks for the replys , i`ll prune it right back as the plant has a dozen good sized new leaves on it now.

Back