• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much Akadama ?

Barbarosa

Seedling
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of setting up a 48"(length) x 24" (high) x 26"(deep) planted aquarium and after a lot of research and reading it's fairly obvious that the best subsrate from both a growth and cost perpective will be Akadama :D

My question is how much will I need for my aquarium and how deep should the substrate be ? I'm not planning on using anything else for the base.

I have also found out that a dealer who claims to provide the cheapest Akadama on ebay is actually based not far from me :thumbup:

Hi
I have a 7x2x2 ft tank. I used 8 x14 ltr bags of it with a depth of about 2 " at the front and 4 to 5" at the rear.
Great Substrate . Washing it before hand is time consuming but the results are worth it.
So I would say 4 or 5 bags of it . Used Irish Peat moss under it.
DSCF0027Medium.jpg

DSCF0037Medium-1.jpg

Cool thanks for the response, I think I'll try with 5 to start with and see how I go.

Damn sight cheaper than any of the other commercial substrates I've seen !

Whats the deal with the "this stuff is said to be skyrocketing in price next year" stuff all about???

Also whats the purpose for putting peat moss under it?

cheers, chris

Cool. Need to do as much research as I can over the next few months as I'm going to be starting my first seriously planted tank :)

Not sure how much of what I've got (if anything) will come over from my current one though lol

Cheers buddy

Back