• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fec's 90cm opti-white "Sticks n Stones" 9 months on

Re: Fec's 90cm opti-white "Sticks n Stones"

saintly said:
I'm with everyone on this. points from each person.

The gravel is great, however, like Graeme says it should be reserved for around rocks and nooks and crannies. This is where it forms naturally in rivers etc.

The stem's could of been placed in the rear corners, or in a addition, add more to the left corner and then trim like George has mentioned. You can take the cuttings from the middle left and place those in the back left.

This has masses of potential. :thumbup:

Hi Mark,

I couldn't agree more mate......TBO this is exactly what I wanted to happen......the finest heads in the business coming together with ideas, suggestions, etc. All the ideas can only improve my overal scape so I'm taking everything on board :thumbup:
Thanks also for the kind words.....if this scape turns out half as good as yours I'll be a happy man!! :thumbup: :D

Ok......after some thinking about the background plants and taking on board info from the holy trinity.....(George, Graeme and Saintly) :lol: :loll: I have started to look for some inspiration and I think I've found some on the new Tropica website. Natures Reflection, one of Dan Crawfords and Goerge's master pieces uses a plant called Aponogeton crispus 'Red' I really like the texture of the leaves and the red earthy tones of the plant which should complement the scape in both texture and colour. Here's the idea.......The left hand side of the tank currently has Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv' which is getting very lost so I'm thinking of removing this and replacing it with the trimmings of Rotala sp. green, this will then bring Goerge's idea in of extending the Rotala into the far left corner. Then to break the transitions up a bit I'm thinking of planting Aponogeton crispus 'Red' infront of the Rotala in the left corner leading to the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and so on into the Eleocharis parvula. My thinking behind this is the Aponogeton crispus 'Red' can contrast and break up the Rotala while still adding something to the overall look and balance of the scape.

Would really like to know your thoughts on this? :?: :thumbup:

As fr the right hand side still thinking................. :crazy:

B7fec said:
..I'm thinking of planting Aponogeton crispus 'Red' infront of the Rotala in the left corner
A. crispus 'Red' is a beautiful plant but it does grow very large, in terms of height and broad leaves. By placing it in front of anything you run the risk of blocking anything from view placed behind it. Instead you could place the crispus behind the Rotala, perhaps?

George Farmer said:
B7fec said:
..I'm thinking of planting Aponogeton crispus 'Red' infront of the Rotala in the left corner
A. crispus 'Red' is a beautiful plant but it does grow very large, in terms of height and broad leaves. By placing it in front of anything you run the risk of blocking anything from view placed behind it. Instead you could place the crispus behind the Rotala, perhaps?

Cheers for that George.....in which case I'll shelve that plant as I'm very keen on extending the Rotala in both sides of the tank, giving the whole setup uniformity. In the scape you've shown me on the previous page what is the red plant in the mid ground on the right hand side? Is it a crypt?

Can anyone tell me what this red plant is in the mid ground tight to the glass on the right hand side?

v-shape.jpg
[/quote]

Cool thanks guys, I have been looking and thinking maybe going for Cryptocoryne undulate infront of the rotala? Still liking the Aponogeton crispus 'Red' maybe for the other corner behind the rotala? instead of all the Cypres and Repens I have there at the moment? Whats the thoughts on that?

B7fec said:
Whats the thoughts on that?

My thoughts are go for what you think will look best... ;)

There's sometimes a delicate balance with sticking to what you have and making the most of it, and creating new design ideas with new plants and layout. In this case I prefer your plan to the current layout.

Think about how the colours, textures and forms will interact with one another and affect the composition as a whole, especially once the plants have grown-in. If you're not experienced with the plants then this will take some imagination, and possible trial and error.

No one has come up with a killer 'scape in terms of perfect plant choice and layout on their first attempt, IMO - yet, but the standards are getting better all the time as more info is available on places like this. You're certainly heading in the right direction, as did members like Andy Hart (UKAPS Featured Scape).

One last piece of practical advice; if you're uprooting plants and messing with the substrate etc. then perform at least one 50% water change directly afterwards. This will minimise the potential of nuisance algae caused by tiny ammonia spikes.

Thanks for the words and info George.......I can certainly see now where improvements can be made I simply need to choose what is in my opinion going to look best and on what side. Having absolutely no algae in the tank what so ever I will take on the advice about a 50% WC after the planting to keep that algae at bay!

Off now to order some plants!! :D

Oh and really should think about doing some work....... :(

Thanks for all the help!!

come on Ben,any updates ?.
you really are slacking mate :lol: .

nelson said:
come on Ben,any updates ?.
you really are slacking mate :lol: .

I'm still here mate.....just waiting for the tank to recover from my very harsh trim! :wideyed: TBH I'm really happy with how this setup is maturing so may get some updated pics up late tomorrow. About a week or so ago I trimmed the Rotala right back to under 4" or so to get it to bush out, as well as trimming the moss and the Hygrophila pinnatifida. All has come back thicker and more compact with around 2 inches of growth since the trim. I have also added some Aponogeton crispus 'Red' and some crypts from my other setup, Wentti ''Tropica','Green' and Undulata, all of which have settled in well! :thumbup:

Ok......just for you Neil! ;)

A quick photo update.....not the best sorry as was rushing but at least you can all see the progress :thumbup:
As I said above I have added some Crypts, various ones, some Aponogeton crispus 'Red' and also have now spread the rotala right across the back which I'm liking a lot......however really want it to grow in now and fill the space above, I hate waiting!! I have also crushed some Dragon stone and used it as a more authentic gravel. :D

Full tank shot @ 5 weeks or so.......
IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

The Dragon stone crushed gravel
IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

Comments welcome!! Cheers Ben :thumbup:

It's absolutely beautiful, keep up the great work! I personally don't much like the gourami but at least he's a great home to live in.

The proper gravel grading is really great, I'd be tempted to see if I can get some landscape rock shards for the more common landscape rock.

:woot: stunning.
i'm lost for words :D .

Looks great! :D

Thats a really good idea about crushing some dragon stone to get the matching gravel that would come out of it. I reckon you could even find a grade of gravel size between the size of the sand and the size of the existing gravel just to finish it off and get a super smooth blend.

Nice work :thumbup:

Garuf said:
It's absolutely beautiful, keep up the great work! I personally don't much like the gourami but at least he's a great home to live in.

The proper gravel grading is really great, I'd be tempted to see if I can get some landscape rock shards for the more common landscape rock.

Hi Garuf, Thanks for the comments mate, ATM the Blue Gourami's in there as a temporary measure while I get my other tanks sorted....he's happy at least.

LondonDragon said:
WOW amazing tank :) makes me want to grade the front of my tank also!! Looking really great, congrats :)

Cheers LD!! There's some inspiration from your tanks in this setup! :thumbup:

Back