• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

750L 30" deep Discus tank

Yes. Ive lost 2 little ones over the last 8 months due to this. But I rehomed the bigger discus last month and now the little ones are slowly improving.

He would chase them around and guard the beefheart, in the end I had to break up beefheart and put it in several places and then put 1 bigger piece in the middle of the tank so the adult could eat by himself ! gosh... cichlids!!

Hi, just a simple question; did you screw the plug sockets into the back of the unit or are they glued on (no more nails) or somthing else. In my last cabinet i used screws on which i hooked on my sockets (they were multi sockets on extension leads). Just wondering if there was a better way.

I used screws, I prefer the security they give, I never seem to trust anything that comes out of a tube that is supposed to replace something out of a box. You can move them at any time in the future too without any further damage which is always good if you mess up as much as me :lol:

mlgt said:
He would chase them around and guard the beefheart, in the end I had to break up beefheart and put it in several places and then put 1 bigger piece in the middle of the tank so the adult could eat by himself ! gosh... cichlids!!
Having exactly the same problem and doing exactly the same things. Very reassuring to hear I'm not alone with that, Im hoping that the larger tank will help with this very thing

The bigger tank especially at the size you are doing is perfect for them to spread the agression and territory.

I fear by the time I am ready to move an buy a new tank possibly the weaker one will have died and leaving the 2 remaining. However its a matter of time (unless they are not a pair) untill they turn on each other.

Either way I dont have a spare tank to put them anywhere besides my CRS tank, which is a no go for now as I wouldnt want them to eat them (expensive snack)

So I have to put up for the time being. I will also put in a RO unit for the new set up as well.

Colinlp said:
El Duderino said:
I have just ordered a tank from Aquariums Ltd, they seem very helpful on the phone. I was just wondering what you thought of the quality of their work in both the tank and the cabinet. It is going to be 10 weeks before I get mine and I am really looking forward to it. It is a 60" x 24" x 24" for my goldfish.

Cheers

Neil
I can't fault the quality of the work at all, you'll be well pleased with it when it arrives. I'm not 100% sure the office is quite as reliable as the workshop as they messed my accessory order up but it didn't amount to any problems so at the end of the day no harm done but make sure your order acknowledgement is correct, mine wasn't and it never got fixed despite numerous emails and telephone conversations. I would buy from them again without hesitation now I have seen their work :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply, I have checked the confirmation and it is all ok. I have not ordered any accessories so I am sure they can get the tank and cabinet correct.

We filled the tank up to test the sump, I was really worried that the pump would push water back into the tank faster than the tank and sump could feed the pump (a Newjet 3000 ordered from the fish tank supplier). I shouldn't have worried though as it all seemed effortless and I think it would handle twice the flow it has with no problems. The noise however was horrendous, the sound of the water crashing down the weir and then the sound of the water entering the sump then the pump itself sounded like a 1976 Japanese moped. This needed sorting before we even thought about running it as my wife was all for beating me around the head with a large stick!

I made a Durso pipe for the weir

IMG_0312.jpg

This was still noisy but a heck of a lot quieter than the bare weir. Next after some research I extended the return pipe into the sump so that it was just under the surface at its lowest working level. This significantly reduced the noise. After the best part of half a day messing around with the Durso pipe it eventually silenced, I'm not totally sure what I did to achieve this as I was only retrying stuff I'd already been through; anyway it's fine now and my wife has put the stick down. The pump no mater what I tried would not shut up so a new one was ordered, an Eheim Compact+ 3000. When this arrived and fitted the noise was greatly reduced but there was still a loud hum when you stood at the side of the cabinet. Unfortunately this pointed directly at our bedroom door but it was a lot better than the old one. Eventually I stopped this by adjusting the position of the power wire of all things, it seems that was vibrating against the cabinet and the cabinet was amplifying the noise. Finally the noise levels were more than acceptable!

One of the things I wanted to fit more than anything else was some way of automating the water changes as mentioned before. The sump overflow had already been fitted and tested and a HMA filter for providing clean water for the tank purchased and fitted just above the sump. I had also pre fitted a cold water supply to the back of the cabinet. In order to turn the water on and off on a timer I purchased a washing machine solenoid from ebay for a few pence and fitted that to a in line tap. When the solenoid is connected to a plug fitted in a timer it opens and shuts reliably, it's a bit Heath Robinson but it works

IMG_0313.jpg

The water flow is regulated to about 1/2 a litre per minute through the HMA filter. This at the moment at least doesn't drop the tank temperature by more than 0.2C during the change, that will need monitoring when winter creeps up on us. The timer is now set for 10 hours during the night to make use of the cheaper electricity to heat the cooler water.

Temperature control caused a bit of a problem surprisingly. I bought an ATC 300 external controller from TGM in Wrexham, on fitting with the sender in the tank it seemed to work perfectly. Just after fitting that I started fitting the T5 lighting, when one set had been fitted we decided to go out for a curry rather than cook as it had been a long day. Now for whatever reason I left the lights on when we went out. When we came back we noticed the temperature had dropped a startling 15C. It turned out that when the lighting was switched on the temperature controlled reading dropped by 15C hence switching on the heaters and overheating the water. I called TGM and they had no idea and called both ATC and Arcadia and eventually offered to exchange or refund or whatever else was needed to sort something out. Again it turns out that EMI from the T5 tubes was causing the problem and moving the Temperature sender to the sump cured the problem; strange eh?

Finally the tank was drained and planted, refilled then after a week some livestock added along with a healthy dose of gunk from our existing filters into the sump. 2 weeks down the line this is how it looks

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

All this is now in quarantine awaiting the day I can move in the Discus

I have been using one of those Solenoid valves. Works a treat. I am still having a few noise issues with my Duros Pipes but getting there slowly. Biggest problem is I am turning over around 15000 ltr per hour which is a lot of water going down them. I also had problems with my stat and the T5 lights. Could not stop it even moving the prob to the sump. At the moment its running on the stats in the heaters.

Tank is looking good. Bet you can't wait for the discus to go in.

Simon

15000/h gosh!!!!! I don't think you could ever shut that much up. The washing machine solenoids are great aren't they, looks at the duty cycle they are designed for and the cost, I think the only bargain I've had so far LOL. I have all my T5 controllers mounted just above the sump and still no problems, the probe from the tubes is about 5'. Mind it's a lowish light 2 x 80W and 4 x 24W T5 I don't have any idea how a higher wattage would affect a greater distance.

Yeah I'm a little impatient to move the discus now but they have a minor bacterial infection of the eyes at the moment so that move is on hold until its cleared 100% It's on the mend now so hopefully it won't be too long. I'm really looking forward to the plants filling out the back of the tank. If the the given sizes are accurate then the background plants should grow within a couple of inches of the top. I'm a little, no very unsure as to how much ferts I should be dosing here to get a balanced set up, any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Back