• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mattyc's 160L opti-white ''tranquil hills''(update 19-05-10)

mattyc

hello guys i have biten the bullet and takem ny cichlids to my LFS so i am going to plant my now blank 3ft canvas.

specs are,

light: Arcadia 900mm luminair
Filter 1: TeraTec EX1200 1200l/h set up for mechanical filteration
Filter 2: Aqua one Aqurist 500 500l/h ste up for bio filteration
Heater: External 300w
Tank: 160L opti-white
Co2: diy FE setup
Ferts: not decided
Substraight: am thinking power sand and aqua soil because it works realy well
Hardscape: TGM blue stone (lots of it)
Livestock: amano shrimp (if i can find some), otos, and some other fish (not decided yet)

i am thinking Iwagumi style, i have been looking at amanos tanks.

like this,
hakkaiseki_02.jpg

more to follow soon, the name has come from the fish that were in th tank that were verry aggressive, so i am going for a verry peacfull tank now.

Re: Mattyc's 160L opti-white

the empty tank.
IMG_3921.jpg

Plastic protection for the bottom of the tank.
IMG_3922.jpg

protection in place.
IMG_3923.jpg

small rocks.
IMG_3924_1.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

they were breeding and splashing water all over the floor which was destroying the floor. i just couldnt deal with them and i fancied another planted tank. (the Mrs(boss) went nuts about the water on the floor too)

here are the larger rocks,
IMG_3926.jpg

and a firt try at a lay out
IMG_3930.jpg

2nd try at a layout
IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

some goodies turned up,

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

the mess that is my fish cabinet only because i have my 20L in there with water in to keep the filters going
IMG_3938.jpg

i have got some more gear following a trip to TGM who were a pleasure to talk to as always. i will let the pics do the talking
Aqua Soil and power sand, also my blue stone.
IMG_3939.jpg

Pwer sand going in.
IMG_3940.jpg

AS going in
IMG_3942.jpg

Rocks layout 1, i wasnt too kean on this i just didnt seen to work verry well so i tryes for about 3 hours to get it looking good.
IMG_3943.jpg

I came up with this, i think it works realy well and it follows the amano rules for a Iwagumi
http://www.aquajournal.net/na/iwagumi/index.html

IMG_3944.jpg

some of the plants i will be using also from TGM.
IMG_3946.jpg

crazy HC, TGM just keep growing these pots on they are all huge!
IMG_3947.jpg

Re: Mattyc's 160L opti-white ''tranquil hills''

You've got loads of rocks, you should be trying to use more of it to build your hardscape. At the moment, the rocks are just to separated and don't look integrated. The aquajournal article uses huge rocks that are placed close to each other to support each other. Also, the smallest rock will probably be buried by the HC once it carpets fully. You have to keep this in mind and make sure all rocks look good even though 1-2cm of it is buried.

Hope you don't mind my comments, its just that I see loads of potential in your scape.

i like the last layout the best :D

although i would not use the second biggest stone as its not a very good shape and a bit distracting. i dont think you have any others to fill the gap looking through the pics. there is never enough is there :twisted:

i try to create triangles which it looks like you already have.

thanks samc that is the layout i have gone for.
i have tryed all the other stones i have (which i spent over £60 on) and this was the best layout that i could make with them, i have tryed to move that 2nd largest stone a little to try and make it work a little better. it is amazing the diffrens plants make to the look of a tank. i will post a pic when i take one, there are also some new to tropica plants in the tank which i belive i am the first to buy in the uk it is called Pogostemon erectum.

it is a stem and is more like Pogostemon stellatus it is slow growing and quite low demanding, a pic of the plants i have used up to now.

my selection is based on fine leaf plants because i want to try and follow through the leaf shape of the hair grass.

the hc is being used as a sort of moutain meadow.

IMG_3948.jpg

the tank has now been planted, i am just waiting for some Balyxia to fill in around the main center rock and towards the back of the tank.
and the mandatory pick,
IMG_3950.jpg

and some of the new plant,
IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

ok i have got another quick update. i have receved some blyxia from laimyzaz for the rear of the tank, i was surprised how much i had been sent. the plants thanks to laimyzaz
IMG_3954.jpg

i gave then a clean up and sort out after the postman had shoved them into my letterbox and planted them in the tank
IMG_3955.jpg

i have a few more stems on their way from amy4342 which are going to bulk out the ones that are in there now

thanks Steve i am getting more of the same blyxa, i was concidering adding somethig else but i didnt want to make it look messy and keep with my narow leaf plant theam. it did look a little sill before and i am much happier with it now the blyxa has gone in. i am looking forward to getting some livestock in the tank but i am going to make sure the plants have had chance and the amonia has dropped.

quick update, this is the tank a few days ago after a large water change. i will put a new one up when i find time to take it.

cheers again for looking
IMG_3962.jpg

just a quick update, i have had a lot of melt from the hc so i removed the bad bits and replanted the remaining plants. the blyxa has melted a little prob due to the transportation of the plants, there is a load of nice new growth on all of the plants and the hair grass is starting to spread and fill out.

i have also added some fish to the tank, i have 3 ottos (i lost 1 this morning but it was looking a little sick:( ) 12 amano shrimp, some cherry shrimp, and 25 Boraras maculatus. i am thinking of adding some more fish the Boraras maculatus are looking a little lost with all the space has anyone got any reccomendations? (i was looking at eletric blue rams but i am not sure they wont eat all the shrimp)

Back