• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My venture into my new 760 ltr planted tank .

Silly question really, but has to be made.

Will too much CO2 have an adverse effect on the plants? As I understand the concentration of CO2 on the tank has no effect on the concentration of O2 on the water.

Could in theory we pump as much CO2 as we can on the tank, irrespective of light or nutrients?

ghostsword said:
Could in theory we pump as much CO2 as we can on the tank, irrespective of light or nutrients?
Yep, it's only the fish and inverts that would suffer, if you don't have any then happy days, crank it up!

Thanks,

I have a small nano that will only have plants, no animals, will see if adding as much CO2 as I can will affect the plants. Probably try with a 150W grow lamp on a 2 gallon tank, see if the water keeps clear and the plants without algae. :)

ceg4048 said:
Folks who complain bitterly about algae and various other plant problems are the same ones who complain about, or are shocked at the cost of CO2. Look out your window at that giant English Oak across the street. It weighs several tons, right. Well, most of those tons were made with CO2.
Just for the record in case that was aimed at me, the reason I switched my CO2 off was my discus were suffering with it despite reducing it. As my main tank is a discus tank that happens to have plants in it meant the priority is the fish and the plants a very distant second. My new tank will be low tech because of both that reason and the fact that it is 30" deep and at my age I don't want to be dressing up as Jacques Cousteau once a week to give the plants a trim. I'm hoping that a sump along with a trickle filter will help to keep constant but low levels of CO2 enough to allow slow but steady growth with low light. No doubt I'll be needing plenty of help :D

@ Colin, that is a big tank, over 70cm deep.. :)

Why don't you just put Crypts, Java Fern and Anubias on it? It would not need lots of light and CO2, and Discus like subdued light anyway, so everyone wins..

Do you have pics of your tank?

Thanks.

No not yet, it's being delivered on Saturday, same volume as Simon's but slightly shorter. I'm using Echinodorus of various types to try and keep it biotypical but there will be a couple of crypts thrown is as we both like them

Yes I'll start a journal over the weekend, no worries. The planned substrate will be quite thick in the planted area, I plan on using root tabs as I do now with the swords, I think I'll need to dose the water a little too but I think this is best discussed away from Simon's thread. I hope the tank will be up and running quite quickly, most of the stuff I need is ready and waiting to be fitted.

Sorry Simon, your thread :)

Colinlp said:
Yes I'll start a journal over the weekend, no worries. The planned substrate will be quite thick in the planted area, I plan on using root tabs as I do now with the swords, I think I'll need to dose the water a little too but I think this is best discussed away from Simon's thread. I hope the tank will be up and running quite quickly, most of the stuff I need is ready and waiting to be fitted.

Sorry Simon, your thread :)

You carry on, I am interested in it all.

Simon

Going away for 4 days so the tank will have to look after its self for a while.
The Hygrophila Rosae Australis is already at the top of the tank and will need a trim on my return.
There is a bit of Diatoms algae here and there but hopefully that will go when the tank matures.

Simon

Colinlp said:
No not yet, it's being delivered on Saturday, same volume as Simon's but slightly shorter. I'm using Echinodorus of various types to try and keep it biotypical but there will be a couple of crypts thrown is as we both like them

Ooh exciting! bet you arent going to sleep much tonight.

Free Internet access in the B&B :thumbup:

So do I reduce the time the lights are on.
Its 6 hours at the moment What do you recommend

Simon

Always Broke said:
So do I reduce the time the lights are on.
Its 6 hours at the moment What do you recommend
Not necessary reduce the time, but you can also reduce the quantity

Yeah, exactly. Intensity kills. Disable more bulb(s) for the time being. High tech tanks never take care of themselves and they never get better without intervention, hence the allure of the non-CO2, low maintenance regime.

Cheers,

Yes it came yesterday dinner time, we're very happy with it, the tank and cabinet are spot on to say the least. The lighting part of the order was wrong though so the delivery lads took those back with them, The Green Machine came to the rescue and they should be delivering towards the end of next week. I'm on my hands and knees at the moment wiring and plumbing but will get a journal started early next week when hopefully most of the initial work should be done.

Back