• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank "Never Ending Journal" Juwel Rio 1

Installed the new Aquamedic 1000 reactor :)

Here how the cabinet now looks:
pict0002br.jpg

Had to turn the CO2 level right to almost nothing in comparison to before, so hopefully my CO2 bottles will last much longer too :)

Looks good matey! :) Didn't see you buy that!

Out of interest, what are/is the plastic looking stacks of stuff in the middle of that pic? Inbetween the Easycarbo and your dry salts?

SteveUK said:
Looks good matey! :) Didn't see you buy that!
Cheers Steve, got that at the last minute together with some plants, had to make the trip worth while for everyone ;)

SteveUK said:
Out of interest, what are/is the plastic looking stacks of stuff in the middle of that pic? Inbetween the Easycarbo and your dry salts?

My dry salts dosing system, until I get the automation back on track. Go back to page 14: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1152&start=130#p19655 this way I only measure stuff once every 3 weeks. hehe ;)

Hi,

Awesome setup you have there!!

Do you mind me asking where in London you get your FE refilled? I'm thinking of getting a 5KG but want to first ensure I have somewhere to refill it, I did a bit of calling around to find someone to do my JBL 500g and nobody was up for it in North/East London area. I'm getting ripped off £16 every 4/5 weeks to swap the JBL around with a full one.

Thanks
Tim

re_kon3 said:
Hi,

Awesome setup you have there!!

Do you mind me asking where in London you get your FE refilled? I'm thinking of getting a 5KG but want to first ensure I have somewhere to refill it, I did a bit of calling around to find someone to do my JBL 500g and nobody was up for it in North/East London area. I'm getting ripped off £16 every 4/5 weeks to swap the JBL around with a full one.

Thanks
Tim

Thanks Tim, the 2Kg you see there was purchased from Dan Crawford, one of the forums members, he has now stopped selling them for a while so the latest I purchased was a 5kg for £25+Del on ebay. JBL are a rip off thats for sure ;)
BTW don't forget to join us at the London Fish Keeping Club, cheers.

LondonDragon said:
Thanks Tim, the 2Kg you see there was purchased from Dan Crawford, one of the forums members, he has now stopped selling them for a while so the latest I purchased was a 5kg for £25+Del on ebay. JBL are a rip off thats for sure ;)
BTW don't forget to join us at the London Fish Keeping Club, cheers.

Cool thanks,

The light just flicked on... :D

It now makes sense, judging by the refill prices floating around for a 2KG, to simply buy another 5KG when this one finishes. Still works out cheaper than refilling a 2KG, which seems to be near impossible anyway.

Cheers

re_kon3 said:
Cool thanks,
The light just flicked on... :D
It now makes sense, judging by the refill prices floating around for a 2KG, to simply buy another 5KG when this one finishes. Still works out cheaper than refilling a 2KG, which seems to be near impossible anyway.
Cheers
They also sell 2Kg for £15+Del, so the choice is yours really, a 5Kg is much taller than a 2Kg all depends if you have the space for a 5Kg or how big is the tank. A 5kg FE on my Rio 125 lasts about 10 months, with the new Aquamedic 1000 Reactor I would expect that to last much longer now.

Just a quick video I took of the tank last night, was the first try with the camera on the new phone I got on Saturday, only after realised the lower water level might have affected the quality, will do another at the weekend.

Thanks for looking :)

Thanks guys, just a quick update.

Since I installed the Aquamedic 1000 CO2 reactor my tank as been a little crazy because I have been trying to adjust it, what I found was that for my bubble rate the reactor did not work will with the Bio Balls in the filter, during the day it would build up a large pocket of CO2 at the top of the reactor. I removed the Bio Balls yesterday and today when I got home from work there was no CO2 pocket at all at the top of the reactor, tonight the plants are pearling like crazy too so it looks like its doing a better job, I will increase the CO2 a little now to see how the reactor behaves.

Some photos:

Full tank shot:
pict0217k.jpg

Close up of the moss at the back and also to get a sense of depth:
pict0201n.jpg

Threadfin Rainbow:
pict0162h.jpg

Again flaring but not in focus the whole body (these guys don't stand still):
pict0180h.jpg

Initially got 5 pairs of threadfins, two die (one CO2 over dose, the other Easy Carbo issue), two weeks ago went back to Living Waters and they are some nice one these so I was going to purchase another 5 pairs, but my bag of fish was taken from the counter :( lucky enough CCTV and a phone call to the customer the store managed to get them back, so last Sunday I went there to pick them up, stunning fish :)

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques always welcomed :)

Nicking a chaps fish! :woot: Is nothing sacred?

Lovely tank, lovely fish, lovely photographs...

Initially got 5 pairs of threadfins, two die (one CO2 over dose, the other Easy Carbo issue), two weeks ago went back to Living Waters and they are some nice one these so I was going to purchase another 5 pairs, but my bag of fish was taken from the counter :( lucky enough CCTV and a phone call to the customer the store managed to get them back, so last Sunday I went there to pick them up, stunning fish

Thats crazy, what a low life. I just dont understand how people can do that.

On the scape, plants look great, very healthy, but i was drawn to the spray bar, i think in my set up im not going to go for the translucent background, but use black as i have always done. The light or translucent background does give the feel of depth, but feel that equipment can be too visible aswell.

Thanks guys, initially we thought the customer picked the bag up by mistake, but then a closer look at the CCTV might not have been as innocent since they didn't purchase any fish, only goodies! oh well!! Got them back in the end :)

The spray bar comes off easy, was just to lazy to take it out, next time will do it, maybe some glassware would help but this tank being a Rio would be a waste of money, maybe when I get a rimless tank I will go for it. ;)

Good to hear removing the bio balls from the reactor has made a difference matey. I can honestly say that this tank is frickin' awesome in the flesh. I had the pleasure of sitting and watching it over the weekend when Paulo very kindly put me up for the night after the LFKC meet up on Saturday :)

Hi

I have 18 threadfin rainbows in my tank and, yesterday i sped 2.5hrs to catch them and I managed only to catch one :). Really need to change them to something shoaling :) Do like they looks like but nothing more :)

:)

SteveUK said:
Good to hear removing the bio balls from the reactor has made a difference matey. I can honestly say that this tank is frickin' awesome in the flesh. I had the pleasure of sitting and watching it over the weekend when Paulo very kindly put me up for the night after the LFKC meet up on Saturday :)
Thanks mate, btw there is another meeting on the 22nd May, this time at my place! The spare bedroom is still available ;) the little ones miss Tio Steve haha

gzylo said:
Hi
I have 18 threadfin rainbows in my tank and, yesterday i sped 2.5hrs to catch them and I managed only to catch one :). Really need to change them to something shoaling :) Do like they looks like but nothing more :)
:)
I am not fussed about shoaling fish, tank is small anyway and they seem to hang around in a group, I also have 18 in the tank now :) beautiful fish, would not change them for anything else.

Don't think I'd be able to make that one mate. That's the weekend right after my birthday (20th) so will probably be staying at my Sisters.

I'll PM you a mug shot to print out so the little'uns don't miss me too much :lol: haha!

SteveUK said:
Don't think I'd be able to make that one mate. That's the weekend right after my birthday (20th) so will probably be staying at my Sisters.
I'll PM you a mug shot to print out so the little'uns don't miss me too much :lol: haha!
No worries mate, there is always one every month ;)

Shot a new video of the tank last night, here how things stand, still not great but its getting there slowly!!

Thanks for looking

Comments and critiques always welcome! :)

The tank looks so natural paulo. I nice amount of pearling to mate :thumbup:

Back