• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How its made - Oliver Knott's NatureSoil

As are most of the clay based substrates. This is exactly what Akadama except Akadama hasn't got the nice roundness that Nature Soil has. As with most things you are paying for the name. A lot of the substates actually come from the same place, the main difference being the packaging.

James

flygja said:
I didn't know it was made in Japan. Check out the last picture in the series, now I know why powder types are more expensive than normal types.

http://www.pbase.com/plantella/naturesoil_production
Colombo's Flora-Base (and many others, like GEX) are also made at the same production plant as Nature Soil, yet Flora-Base (which is Fine) is almost half price...

Wave £100k+ at them and they will make the substrate to your requirements, bag it in whatever design of bag you like and ship x amount over every 6 months. This is what Oliver has done, and I'm guessing he needs a quick return on his investment, hence his prices.

I live in Australia where everywhere is rich red clay based soil. I have often wondered if I could just use a layer of that under some sand or something... I am assuming that the baking process only makes the product pretty and not colour the tank water.

Back