• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Deep Rooted' - Andyh's 35l Nano

andyh said:
The fish are fab they are fully grown at about 15mm, the shoal well and the red is so deep!

I have brigittae too and always find the depth of the colour mesmerising. Some of mine also have a very slight greeny\silver irridescence to them as well.

Do you find that they lose their colour after a water change?

If I change my water quickly they lose their colour for a couple of days.
If I fill up slowly (really slowly... 50 litres into a 160 litre tank over about 3 hours) then they are OK.

I have a feeling it is because my tank has different parameters to my tap (tank 3KH, tap 8KH) so would be curious to have your opinion\experiences.

a1Matt said:
andyh said:
The fish are fab they are fully grown at about 15mm, the shoal well and the red is so deep!

I have brigittae too and always find the depth of the colour mesmerising. Some of mine also have a very slight greeny\silver irridescence to them as well.

Do you find that they lose their colour after a water change?

If I change my water quickly they lose their colour for a couple of days.
If I fill up slowly (really slowly... 50 litres into a 160 litre tank over about 3 hours) then they are OK.

I have a feeling it is because my tank has different parameters to my tap (tank 3KH, tap 8KH) so would be curious to have your opinion\experiences.

Hey Matt,

They are great fish, funnily enough i commented about the green iridescence earlier in this thread.
I find it interesting with regards to your comments about the fish, i have not experienced this really, i perform 1-2 water changes per week and haven't noticed the fish loosing colour. However i will watch the next few times.

I think you probably right in the fact that fish are adjusting to the new water conditions. I will keep a closer eye on mine. o_O

Did you notice the moss you sent me features on the top of the stump! :thumbup:

bogwood said:
The CO2 circulation is most impressive, good video, with nice supporting music. :thumbup:
The fissendens in particular looks excellent. Incidentally the piece you kindly gave me is growing very well.
Cheers, the fissidens is growing really well. You will have to come and see it soon!

andyh said:
They are great fish, funnily enough i commented about the green iridescence earlier in this thread.
I find it interesting with regards to your comments about the fish, i have not experienced this really, i perform 1-2 water changes per week and haven't noticed the fish loosing colour. However i will watch the next few times.

I think you probably right in the fact that fish are adjusting to the new water conditions. I will keep a closer eye on mine. o_O

Did you notice the moss you sent me features on the top of the stump! :thumbup:

I have read the whole thread so I should have remembered that you mentioned the green iridescence :oops: :rolleyes:

That is good news that you do not get a dramatic loss of colour. It means that I have room for improvement in what I do :thumbup:

I noticed the moss and I am glad it is growing well for you 8)

flygja said:
Top scape mate! This plus the kitchen tank makes for a very nice combo.

Thanks, Yes i enjoy both my setup for different reasons, they both have such appeal. :thumbup:

Here is a fairly decent pic of one of my B. Brigittae, its one of my better pics. They are very hard to get a photo of as they are small and fast! This fish is about 12mm long.

web.jpg

The bubbles are from my CO2 just b4 anybody asks.

How are you finding the inline diffuser? i've watched the videos and they look like the best diffuser on the market from your posts.

Garuf said:
How are you finding the inline diffuser? i've watched the videos and they look like the best diffuser on the market from your posts.

Garuf

I have the UP Atomizer, inlines on both my tanks and they are excellent. Couple of things to consider though:

1. You have to have your CO2 operating pressure at 1.6-1.7bar. Which in most cases aint a problem.
2. You have to not mind the mist effect when the CO2 is running. Its is very fine and if you stand back 1m+ from the tank you struggle to see it.
3. As the inline is more effective, i have noticed a drop in the amount of CO2 being used. Should be able to quantify soon.
4. I have experienced the problem with hose nuts on one of mine. Where they simply do get grip/locate properly. This is easily rectified and much better if you use a pair of Jubilee clips.
IMG_5126.jpg

Hope this helps.

Andyh

Hey

Just a little update to my journal, just had a really good prune of the plants and cleaned the tank from top to bottom.

My Routine: (for those interested) :geek:
Dosing Daily; ADA Step 1, Easy Carbo & Brighty K
Once per week/water change; PO4 and ADA Green Gain.
Lights 8 hours, CO2 on for 6 hours comes on 2 hrs b4 lights. (co2 turns drop checker almost yellow by end of CO2 period)

Complete tank
web.jpg

HC carpet coming along nicely, just pruned it flat again.
web.jpg

Microsorium Ferns, really start to look better, been a slow grower but worth it. Cant wait till it dominates the tank a little more :geek:
web.jpg

The Anubias barteri var. nana 'Bonsai'/petite, is growing well despite much feedback that its a slow grower, couple of new leaves every week.
web.jpg

Still one of my favourite plants, my Fissidens is growing really well, the shrimps love it, the yellow bit on the shrimp is all its eggs!
web.jpg

A seriously underrated fish the B.Brigittae, their colours are simply stunning! Possibly my most favourite shoaling fish!
web.jpg

My only real challenge is Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis (Grass type plant), certain parts have BBA which i have pruned out this evening. I suspect that this is down to flow/CO2. May just increase easy carbo for a couple of weeks to see if that nails it.
web.jpg

Thanks for looking, as always i have posted far to many pics! o_O :thumbup:

Andyh

Looking at your filter pipe layout I'd say you're probably getting loads of deflection from the stump, just alter the outlet about and see how it affects the flow. You'll find that "sweet spot" that everyone craves.

Garuf said:
Looking at your filter pipe layout I'd say you're probably getting loads of deflection from the stump, just alter the outlet about and see how it affects the flow. You'll find that "sweet spot" that everyone craves.

Hey Garuf

The photo doesnt show it well but the filter return is not blowing on the stump, its actually aimed at the middle front of the tank, which sends the co2 down to the HC and creates a nice circular flow. Was thinking about adding a eheim wide return instead of the normal one:
AEH4004700.jpg

I have this on my other tank to create more flow. As adding a Koralia nano in here would be to much? What do you reckon? o_O

Try the fish tail, I personally hate koralias they're just far far to obtrusive in anything smaller than a 90cm tank And even they they stick out like a plastic diver. I think it' really is just a matter of tweaking your outlet, you should have more than enough flow for the set. Try the outlet on the opposite side of the tank, sometimes changing the direction of the flow can work miracles, especially in small wood dominated scapes.

Garuf said:
Try the fish tail, I personally hate koralias they're just far far to obtrusive in anything smaller than a 90cm tank And even they they stick out like a plastic diver. I think it' really is just a matter of tweaking your outlet, you should have more than enough flow for the set. Try the outlet on the opposite side of the tank, sometimes changing the direction of the flow can work miracles, especially in small wood dominated scapes.

I will have a tinker once i get my fishtail, think i got one somewhere. Thanks for your advice! :thumbup:

I just got my JBL e1500 for my new tank today and it comes with a very tidy looking jet like that fishtail, I'm actually embarassingly eager to try it out compared to lily pipes!
I'm going to have a wander to the science workshops with a lily pipe and the jet piper and see if they can make me a copy of it in glass. :lol:

Jase

You are so right Jase, this tank is 20 inches long so really its quite small!

I put the full picture in to show how small it was!

Thanks for you kind words!

andyh said:
web.jpg

Microsorium Ferns, really start to look better, been a slow grower but worth it. Cant wait till it dominates the tank a little more :geek:

hi andy,
it doesn't look to me like you will be having to wait much longer :)

Back