• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Harvesting daphnia

alex_l

Hi all,

My nature pond is abundant in clouds of daphnia.

Is there any way to harvest this safely without risking introducing nasties into the aquarium?

Eg, quarantine for a few days? Not sure what difference that would make. Or rinse in aquarium water, etc?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Define nasties please 👍

I take it straight from the pond with a normal net; I rinse this under a tap too. However I am still confident this doesn't stop the introduction of algae spores 😅

I’d just rinse under a tap and Chuck them in if it was me, what are you worried about adding?

Things like planaria and bacterial disease, I guess... but... it's not like I'm harvesting sludge from the bottom... they're in the water column.

Sounds like I'm worrying unduly!

We have daphnia and mosquito larvae in the shallows in the lake we are living on. I have never had the urge to use it as a source for live food as I just don't know what I would drag in in terms of pathogens. Rinsing them off may take care of business, but I am not sure its enough to be honest. What I have thought of is to catch a ton rinse them off and freeze them in plates in small zip lock bags - instead of buying them as I do now ;) Back in the old days when I lived at the pacific coast I would seasonally catch tons of mysis shrimps that I would freeze and feed to my big cichlids all year around - they loved it! (yes, I admit it; I was stealing food from the humpback whales that was feeding a few miles off the coast :) ).

Cheers,
Michael

Net, rinse and add to the tank. I don't think you need to worry unnecessarily. Anything bigger, like dragonfly nymphs, leeches etc, are easy to spot and will be pretty good at getting out of the way. As for microorganisms, they shouldn't be a problem in a healthy well balanced tank. Either way, I should think getting live food from a known source, like your own pond, will be a lot healthier than buying it half dead in a bag from your LFS,

If there are no fish in your pond, there are probably no fish diseases or parasites. The risk would be very small and the benefits of free live food are great. Look out for mosquito larvae too.

If there are no fish in your pond, there are probably no fish diseases or parasites. The risk would be very small and the benefits of free live food are great. Look out for mosquito larvae too.
I have mosquito larvae and some other very strange larvae which resemble miniature pipe fish... some sort of fly but I'd love to know what! There are also what appear to be a few jumbo bloodworm in there. Is a veritable safari!! No fish, just lots of newts :)

Thanks so much all!

Glad I asked... I think my fish will be, too

Things like planaria and bacterial disease, I guess... but... it's not like I'm harvesting sludge from the bottom... they're in the water column.
You'd surely expand the range of bacteria and microorganisms, but isn't it possible that would benefit your aquarium's stability?

Just a note that you may well bring planaria in - I've caught them in a jug of water from my tubs outdoors, so it might serve to check visually at least. I've seen them gliding across the top of the water, presumably holding on to the surface scum. My pond and tubs are teeming with them and may be much shallower than yours, making it easier to inadvertently catch them.

To me, Planaria are part of a healthy tank. I didn’t always think like this though.

I’ve had planaria in every tank I’ve had, probabaly as I have no qualms dipping nets in a cleanish body of water for some live food 👍

To me, Planaria are part of a healthy tank. I didn’t always think like this though.

I’ve had planaria in every tank I’ve had, probabaly as I have no qualms dipping nets in a cleanish body of water for some live food 👍
Pretty much the same for me. But once fish are established they seem to disappear.

That's why I like asking these questions here... for a balanced and evidence based perspective rather than the usual 'you can't do this... can't do that...' you hear elsewhere in the hobby.

Love it! Thanks all

Ugh big no to Planaria for me 🤢
Gross little things that attack shrimp and fry.
A lot of people don't want Planaria, so it makes sharing plants with other hobbyists pretty iffy as well. I'd be pretty upset if I got plants carrying Planaria on them from anyone.

Personally would go to lengths to avoid getting those along if harvesting Daphnia

Last edited:
Ugh big no to Planaria for me 🤢
Gross little things that attack shrimp and fry.
A lot of people don't want Planaria, so it makes sharing plants with other hobbyists pretty iffy as well. I'd be pretty upset if I got plants carrying Planaria on them from anyone.

Personally would go to lengths to avoid getting those along if harvesting Daphia
Right on @Hufsa .... I just feel the thing is just too risky. One thing though, is that "wild caught" Daphnia could serve as a great starter culture that you control and maintain. With proper care you can ensure that over time there won't be anything unwanted in there. The LFS around here where I occasionally buy live food (mainly daphnia) have a big covered outdoor "pond" where they cultivate them so you can be almost 100% sure that you're not dragging in any pathogens or unwanted bugs. Unfortunately they only sell them in the spring, summer and early fall.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi all,

I don't worry too much about Flatworms (Planaria), they are universal in freshwater. I'm guessing that I would always end up with them.

If they worry you, you can get rid of them by trapping or using Panacur (Fenbendazole).

Cheers Darrel

Back