• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropical soil few years old

PARAGUAY

The tropical soil in the 55g as been in quite a long time and must be spent of nutrients and having a change around plant wise. I can add a small amount of root tablets and cover with smooth gravel or sand ,that my idea, any thoughts?

Will be adding tabs and l always use liquid fertiliser so that won't change. Removal of plants and clean as left it not that deep ,so may add more tropical soil or smooth gravel which l have plenty of

Well l covered the soil with Pets at Home sand, now lhave a. BGA outbreak , l been removing syphoning daily ,did a few W/C daily daily,checked cleaned filter ,although it was not bad, small diatom breakout too. Never usually have BGA ,the soil covers a bottom layer of JBL lava substrate so can't think it's anything sinister.,

Well l covered the soil with Pets at Home sand, now lhave a. BGA outbreak , l been removing syphoning daily ,did a few W/C daily daily,checked cleaned filter ,although it was not bad, small diatom breakout too. Never usually have BGA ,the soil covers a bottom layer of JBL lava substrate so can't think it's anything sinister.,
If you can't get it under control this stuff works well...

If you can't get it under control this stuff works well...

Thanks for the info. I ended up taking it down ,the old aquasoil was quite deep on larva rock and with a hefty covering of sand l think l mistakenly compacted too much. As I looked at the tank l wasn't happy and syphoning,W/C daily didn't help. In hindsight just adding root capsules slow release would have been best bet as said by @Tim Harrison

Back