• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Standard size 90 cm or 1 m tank?

Malarky

I am looking at aquiring a new open top tank, I can accomodate 100 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm but I am thinking of going with a standard size 90 x 40 cm because of the bigger lighting range at that size. Is that a sensible trade off? My preference is for the lighting to be supported by the tank ends rather than hanging from the ceiling or a bracket. Any thoughts?

I think Twinstar SA series fits aquariums from 90-100cm, it has adjustable arms. It will still provide excellent coverage on a 100cm tank. I'd say go metric ;)

My 100cm tank was lit by a 90cm light easily, the metal arms extend fine to sit on the sides. I also prefer my 100cm tank compared to the 90cm, that extra bit of length looks great and makes the whole proportion more pleasing.

I’d go 100cm too, the extra volume will really help. There is so much lighting available and if you’re after good lighting, a good portion of those lights are pendant 👍

He gave a reason why in his original post....due to the wider range of lighting available.
100cm is not out of the ordinary at all in the metric world - I'd be surprised that majority of similarly sized lights wouldn't fit. The benefit of a larger tank is obvious, however.

100cm is not out of the ordinary at all in the metric world - I'd be surprised that majority of similarly sized lights wouldn't fit. The benefit of a larger tank is obvious, however.

It just seems that most lights are 60/75/90 etc etc, I guess since they're adjustable it doesn't matter too much as long as they're strong enough to reach the edges?

Back