• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tumble dryes water to make ferts ?

eminor

Hello, can i use tumble dryer water to make my macro/micro solution ? thx

Hello, can i use tumble dryer water to make my macro/micro solution ? thx
Do you mean the water that’s collected from the condenser? I’ve sometimes wondered the same thing, but whenever I sniff ours it smells of fresh washing, so I can’t help but think it has some remnants of the deodorisers from the washing detergent in it.

It’s an impure distillate and as such there will be a risk that compounds present may react with with the trace elements and cause unwanted precipitation, there’s also an increased chance of having mold formation due to where the water collects in the dryer, this water is not fit for human consumption so I would avoid adding this into a tank with fauna present. Fine for watering the garden with though!

:)

This topic came up about water collection from a dehumidifier. The consensus was that it’s not a good idea. Shame really as I chuck litres of it down the sink.

Hi all,
This topic came up about water collection from a dehumidifier. The consensus was that it’s not a good idea. Shame really as I chuck litres of it down the sink.
I definitely wouldn't use tumble dryer water, but I'd be interested in the conductivity of the water from the dehumidifier.

Cheers Darrel

but I'd be interested in the conductivity of the water from the dehumidifier.
Ta da... 29ppm.
20221204_173232.jpg

Oh, and I just bought some Neocaridina Davidi "Blue Velvet" from a local breeder that were selectively breed in his dehumidifier water. So, while it can pose risks if you don't know what's in it, it can definitely be used for our purposes in some cases.

Hi all,
However, If it would be me I would just buy a jug of distilled water with zero TDS
Same for me, DI water. After that rainwater.

Collected some the last time it rained, was about 10 microS (~6 ppm TDS) straight from the sky, but up to about 60 microS out of the water butt and after <"it had warmed up">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
You probably can... However, If it would be me I would just buy a jug of distilled water with zero TDS. I don't know how much that would be in France but around here its like 1 USD for a US Gallon .... or 1 EURO for 4 Liters.

Cheers
Michael

Distilled Water. £9.99 for 5ltrs in the UK. 😳
Though it’s not like you use a lot for ferts!

Distilled Water. £9.99 for 5ltrs in the UK. 😳

Ouch! well, my local grocery stores charges $0.99 - $1.59 for a gallon (3.78 L). It measures 0-1 TDS with my pen). However, you can also buy technical grade distilled water which will cost you $20 or more for half a gallon with an even higher level of purification. I believe that's overkill for any practical hobby purpose.

Cheers,
Michael

Ouch! well, my local grocery stores charges $0.99 - $1.59 for a gallon (3.78 L). It measures 0-1 TDS with my pen). However, you can also buy technical grade distilled water which will cost you $20 or more for half a gallon with an even higher level of purification. I believe that's overkill for any practical hobby purpose.

Cheers,
Michael

Need to find a local grocery store huh!! Either that or move to your house. 😂

Ouch, yeah that is a crazy price for Distilled Water. It's $0.99CAD(£0.60) for 4L at Walmart here and I live in a small town. It measures 0ppm TDS consistently.

Ouch, yeah that is a crazy price for Distilled Water. It's $0.99CAD(£0.60) for 4L at Walmart here and I live in a small town. It measures 0ppm TDS consistently.
It might be that distilled water is not in demand in Europe, or not enough in demand rather, to drive prices down compared to North America 🤷‍♂️ ... its hard not to find distilled water here - for instance in the water isle at almost every grocery store... Of course, it plays into us North American's somewhat crazy obsession with regular (bottled) water which usually are not much better than regular tap water and generates a terrible amount of waste from plastic containers etc., which is also not a European thing as far as I understand.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
It was suggested that it may contain heavy metals?
I agree but I sort of doubt heavy metals would make it... however, in general, collecting "waste water" condensed from a household appliance for use in our tanks - be it directly or indirectly - is just one of those "ideas" we shouldn't advice anyone to entertain given the unknowns... There are plenty of other ways to conserve resources, save money etc. :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi all,
It was suggested that it may contain heavy metals?
I suppose there is a possibility of contamination with copper (Cu) and or aluminium (Al), I'm not convinced either of them is a real issue. If the conductivity value is low you don't have much in the way of ions.
however, in general, collecting "waste water" condensed from a household appliance for use in our tanks - be it directly or indirectly - is just one of those "ideas" we shouldn't advice anyone to entertain given the unknowns..
I'd agree with that, it would definitely be, very much, my weapon of last resort.

cheers Darrel

Back