• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

a noob hoping I'm posting in the right place?[emoji1787]

Talkingteacups

Hi everyone! I've just started to dip my toe into having a lot of plants in my tank, but it's a genuine minefield and my mind feels like it's going to blow with the amount of info I've read
(I have a 190l tank)

I bought a bundle of plants, mostly stem plants, all classed as easy growers etc, there's a few that are reddish, but my guy in my LFS said theyd still do fine with no c02.

I dont REALLY want to buy c02 just because I just dont have the fund right now. I'm currently dosing TNC complete, and have also used root tabs. I tried to use the dosage calculator but I've not got a clue to be honest lol.

I'm just wondering really what can I do to have a good looking planted tank that doesnt need c02 injection? (fertiliser suggestions/dosage, what I should be doing etc) Thanks so much everyone I'm a big noob

(photos of my tank- it's basically a jungle of plants, I've named it the forest pathway to make myself feel better LMAO)
11b0fc156e9e7f53f182c1c3420efd66.jpg
e9d41aa0cd486ff2ffb592d2f14068de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.
it's basically a jungle of plants, I've named it the forest pathway to make myself feel better
That looks fine, I'd be pleased with that. Some of us have much more <"jungly tanks">.
I dont REALLY want to buy c02 just because I just dont have the fund right now.
<"CO2 isn't a pre-requisite for planted tanks">, many of us are low tech. plant keepers. In terms of plants the <"Tropica Easy"> category are plants that will grow without added CO2. Plants should be available from <"one of our sponsors">. We also have a <"for sale/swap/wanted forum">, accessible once you have made 25 posts.
fertiliser suggestions/dosage, what I should be doing etc) Thanks so much everyone I'm a big noob
<"TNC complete"> is fine as a fertiliser. You can use some fraction of <"Estimative Index"> dosing or you can use plant health (<"degree of greeness">, growth rate, leaf size) as an <"indication of when to feed">.

I've used a floating plant (ideally <"Amazon Frogbit"> (Limnobium laevigatum)) as my <"nutrient "canary"">. Because it is a floating plant it has access to <"~415 ppm atmospheric CO2"> and its growth isn't ever CO2 limited. Have a look at the <"Duckweed Index"> for more details.

Happy reading cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.

That looks fine, I'd be pleased with that. Some of us have much more /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/changing-plants-to-reduce-maintenance.68194/#post-676509']jungly tanks[/URL]">.

/ukaps.org/forum/threads/quick-check-on-new-to-ei-dosing.70497/#post-704816']CO2 isn't a pre-requisite for planted tanks[/URL]">, many of us are low tech. plant keepers. In terms of plants the /tropica.com/en/plants/search/?mode=search&sew=&dif=Easy&pgr=&ori=&use=']Tropica Easy[/URL]"> category are plants that will grow without added CO2. Plants should be available from /www.ukaps.org/forum/#sponsor-forums.45']one of our sponsors[/URL]">. We also have a /www.ukaps.org/forum/forums/for-sale-swap-wanted.23/']for sale/swap/wanted forum[/URL]">, accessible once you have made 25 posts.

/www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/a-bit-of-everything.67196/#post-664862']TNC complete[/URL]"> is fine as a fertiliser. You can use some fraction of /ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-tech-90p-with-old-tropica-aqua-soil.67528/#post-668769']Estimative Index[/URL]"> dosing or you can use plant health (/ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-scientific-background-to-the-leaf-colour-chart.62129/']degree of greeness[/URL]">, growth rate, leaf size) as an /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/which-no3-testing-kit-is-best.42816/page-2#post-458893']indication of when to feed[/URL]">.

I've used a floating plant (ideally /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/c02-issues.70510/#post-704905']Amazon Frogbit[/URL]"> (Limnobium laevigatum)) as my /ukaps.org/forum/threads/losing-battle-with-tank.70247/page-3#post-703509']nutrient "canary"[/URL]">. Because it is a floating plant it has access to /gml.noaa.gov/ccgg/trends/']~415 ppm atmospheric CO2[/URL]"> and its growth isn't ever CO2 limited. Have a look for /ukaps.org/forum/threads/hi-all-need-some-help-for-my-first-aquarium.56256/#post-546910']Duckweed Index[/URL]"> for more details.

Happy reading cheers Darrel
Thank you so much!! this is super helpful. I'll deffo be doing some more reading tonight!

I'm just wondering really what can I do to have a good looking planted tank
I'd say continue doing whatever you're doing now, looks good to me.

I tried to use the dosage calculator but I've not got a clue to be honest
Using calculators can be fun for some of us but it's not essential. For tnc complete just follow the instructions on the bottle, 1ml per 10L of water, 19ml in your case. Add this once or twice a week and like darrel says see how the plants respond.

BTW, I'm also a fan of jungle tanks, welcome to the club. 👍

I think you have made a great start planting your tank, it looks really good!
One of the things you need with low tech/no CO2 tanks is patience as plants grow more slowly than those in high energy setups & there's less trimming to keep things under control.
Love the jungle vibe, I'm another fan but my substrate & hardscape disappeared under the greenery long ago as it's only a small tank! 😄

Hi everyone! I've just started to dip my toe into having a lot of plants in my tank, but it's a genuine minefield and my mind feels like it's going to blow with the amount of info I've read
(I have a 190l tank)

I bought a bundle of plants, mostly stem plants, all classed as easy growers etc, there's a few that are reddish, but my guy in my LFS said theyd still do fine with no c02.

I dont REALLY want to buy c02 just because I just dont have the fund right now. I'm currently dosing TNC complete, and have also used root tabs. I tried to use the dosage calculator but I've not got a clue to be honest lol.

I'm just wondering really what can I do to have a good looking planted tank that doesnt need c02 injection? (fertiliser suggestions/dosage, what I should be doing etc) Thanks so much everyone I'm a big noob

(photos of my tank- it's basically a jungle of plants, I've named it the forest pathway to make myself feel better LMAO)
11b0fc156e9e7f53f182c1c3420efd66.jpg
e9d41aa0cd486ff2ffb592d2f14068de.jpg

Or there is this tutorial below. Don't be misled by the title it's really about starting and maintaining a low-energy planted tank (without CO2 fertilisation).
But looks like you've got off to a good start already, And welcome to UKAPS btw :)

I'd say continue doing whatever you're doing now, looks good to me.

Using calculators can be fun for some of us but it's not essential. For tnc complete just follow the instructions on the bottle, 1ml per 10L of water, 19ml in your case. Add this once or twice a week and like darrel says see how the plants respond.

BTW, I'm also a fan of jungle tanks, welcome to the club.
thank you!! it's been planted like this for about 2 weeks and everything is still looking okay fingers crossed. I really loved the look of the EI dosing technique as it seems more cost effective, but rarely see people use it without c02

Or there is this tutorial below. Don't be misled by the title it's really about starting and maintaining a low-energy planted tank (without CO2 fertilisation).
But looks like you've got off to a good start already, And welcome to UKAPS btw :)

thank you this is really helpful!! I would usually just go with the flow and if things dont go right, I deal with it, but there just SO much more information to try and grasp in planted tanks, way more than just the average aquarium!! I'm just hoping it stays looking good haha

I think you have made a great start planting your tank, it looks really good!
One of the things you need with low tech/no CO2 tanks is patience as plants grow more slowly than those in high energy setups & there's less trimming to keep things under control.
Love the jungle vibe, I'm another fan but my substrate & hardscape disappeared under the greenery long ago as it's only a small tank!
patience is one of my weakest points in life but I have managed to pick alot of fast easy growers just so I can see a little bit happening every now and then haha. If I had the funds I'd deffo go c02 just so I'm not anxiously up the aquarium glass waiting for things to grow, but it's just expensive to start up. So I'm planning to stick with low tech and make it like a challenge for myself!

Hi all,
I really loved the look of the EI dosing technique as it seems more cost effective, but rarely see people use it without c02
Yes, if you don't add CO2 your plants won't have as high a demand for nutrients.

It is because of the <"assembly line aspect of Liebig's limiting nutrient">. Light drives photosynthesis and <"photosynthesis drives the demand for the other nutrients">. If you have:
  • <"high light">,
  • ~30 ppm CO2 and
  • all the other nutrients are non-limiting
Then you can get rapid growth. If you don't add CO2 you will have ~3, rather than 30, ppm CO2 and because of this the demand for the mineral nutrients is lessened.

That is partially why I like a floating plant, it also acts as a <"safety net">. Because floating plants have access to atmospheric CO2 if you have a sudden ammonia spike etc. then the plants <"can respond to this">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Yes, if you don't add CO2 your plants won't have as high a demand for nutrients.

It is because of the <"assembly line aspect of Liebig's limiting nutrient">. Light drives photosynthesis and <"photosynthesis drives the demand for the other nutrients">. If you have:
  • <"high light">,
  • ~30 ppm CO2 and
  • all the other nutrients are non-limiting
Then you can get rapid growth. If you don't add CO2 you will have ~3, rather than 30, ppm CO2 and because of this the demand for the mineral nutrients is lessened.

That is partially why I like a floating plant, it also acts as a <"safety net">. Because floating plants have access to atmospheric CO2 if you have a sudden ammonia spike etc. then the plants <"can respond to this">.

cheers Darrel
That makes alot of sense!! I currently have a few floating plants, Salvinia Natans, one that looks like a brain but of similar texture to the natans, and some red root floaters. Is it best i have my whole water surface covered with floating plants, to ensure that the plants in the water don't get too much light?

Hi all,
That makes alot of sense!! I currently have a few floating plants, Salvinia Natans, one that looks like a brain but of similar texture to the natans, and some red root floaters. Is it best i have my whole water surface covered with floating plants, to ensure that the plants in the water don't get too much light?
Most people have ~ 1/2 to 2/3 coverage (like below), and some people just use them in the start up period. Salvinia, Nile Cabbage (Pistia stratiotes) (I think?, I liked your description, and I can see what you mean) and Phyllanthus fluitans are all good. You may need to rescue the <"Red-root Floater eventually">.

top_view-jpg-41358-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Most people have ~ 1/2 to 2/3 coverage (like below), and some people just use them in the start up period. Salvinia, Nile Cabbage (Pistia stratiotes) (I think?, I liked your description, and I can see what you mean) and Phyllanthus fluitans are all good. You may need to rescue the /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/deficiency-showing-on-floating-plant.69524/#post-693974']Red-root Floater eventually[/URL]">.

top_view-jpg-41358-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel
Thanks so much Darrel! Yes, the red root floaters definitely dont seem to thrive as much as the other two, but I've purchased some amazon frogbit too to go in there.

thanks for the great help!!

Back