• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Week aqua users

Ahhh, and you gave them a 'heart' icon in response . . . bless šŸ˜ šŸ¤£
one got to reward the rewardable.

EDIT: You should offer yourself up to be a Beta tester!!
Lol, right, better yet I should get paid for doing everyoneā€™s job, including the combined job of all users who donā€™t harrass Week Aqua enough.

Lol, Iā€™m not Biff.
Letā€™s see if you figure that one out.šŸ¤£

Come on man - I'm a child of the 80's!

doc-brown-back-to-the-future.gif

@Hanuman just read through this and wanted to say a big thank you for your community service on behalf of myself and other Week Aqua users. Also, here are some pics for other users that may be helpful on how I worked around the appā€™s crumminess. Basically I created a low light setting called ā€œMorn,ā€ a ramp/intermediate light level setting where levels are set to 30%, and then edited the standard red setting as my main lighting setting.

Attachments

• C7BA7B18-402F-4C57-904F-F79089CAB90F.png
    C7BA7B18-402F-4C57-904F-F79089CAB90F.png
    618.4 KB · Views: 143
  • F661EE8A-A158-4DAC-8D00-A08E901C0BEE.png
    F661EE8A-A158-4DAC-8D00-A08E901C0BEE.png
    599.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 516FAAF6-A231-41DA-AF88-0717309DB002.png
    516FAAF6-A231-41DA-AF88-0717309DB002.png
    595.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 284E259C-4106-469C-9B03-DEE9CE1C59FB.png
    284E259C-4106-469C-9B03-DEE9CE1C59FB.png
    600.8 KB · Views: 137
Well the T90 Proā€™s arrived:

2988A398-C97F-49DD-B576-68AF2AD531CA.jpeg

Had a little play manually holding it over a tank whilst using the colour sliders. Pretty impressed with the colour rendition from a brief play. The build quality is good - though these came with a black cable, so I'm going to have to swap that out for a clear one! (It's an OCD thing!)

The spread is surprisingly wide, presumably due to the glass ā€˜lensā€™, but it appears to hit 600mm diameter at about 300-400mm height (from the tank surface). Iā€™m going to have to fashion some shades so I can hang them a fair bit higher.

Now I just need to decide whether I go with two or three over the new 1500, and look forward to some shimmer! I suspect I'll rig these up on some sort of track attached to the ceiling, so I can move them about, or add the third light if I need it.

Have there been any improvements to the app as of yet? @Hanuman
lol - No. As expected, these people were just BSing me I guess. In the meantime I received 2 or 3 updates from Chihiros...
This said since I set the light I have had no need to enter the app again so it's working fine so far.

This was a wild read but extremely informative. It was mentioned UNS and ADA use the same boards as Week, but aside from the obvious bad customer service and app, what are the big definite differences between the performance of Week lights vs ADA/UNS?

Kinda diving head first into understanding lighting so my background knowledge will be lacking.

This was a wild read but extremely informative. It was mentioned UNS and ADA use the same boards as Week, but aside from the obvious bad customer service and app, what are the big definite differences between the performance of Week lights vs ADA/UNS?

Kinda diving head first into understanding lighting so my background knowledge will be lacking.

I think the fact that the ADA and UNS versions have absolutely no output intensity, colour channel mix, ramping or time scheduling controls makes that a non-starter for a lot of folks, over Chihiros and Week Aqua units.

Not my area of expertise but a notable difference for ADA lights are that they come with one preset intensity and thats how youre supposed to run it. It may be possible to run a third party dimmer on such a light but i would check if that voids the warranty.
I suppose it makes sense in the context of their whole system that does away with all the choices, but for me personally I would not go for a non adjustable light, especially at such a price.

Edit: Wooki beat me to it ;)

I think the fact that the ADA and UNS versions have absolutely no output intensity, colour channel mix, ramping or time scheduling controls makes that a non-starter for a lot of folks, over Chihiros and Week Aqua units.
I totally understand the appeal of "We chose for you and we know whats best" for some, but indeed having the customizability casts a wider net, especially at that price.

Would be EXTREMELY curious if there is a way to find out which boards in particular are shared across ADA and WEEK models. Probably sure if we asked directly, theyd not be so inclined to disclose that information.

I totally understand the appeal of "We chose for you and we know whats best" for some, but indeed having the customizability casts a wider net, especially at that price.

Would be EXTREMELY curious if there is a way to find out which boards in particular are shared across ADA and WEEK models. Probably sure if we asked directly, theyd not be so inclined to disclose that information.

Not really sure we need to know, they all come out of the same OEM factory, so I canā€™t imagine theyā€™d go out of their way to try and find alternative combination RGB LEDā€™s or other components - theyā€™d buy them in bulk and use them across all products - and itā€™s the LEDā€™s which are arguably the important bit.

The LED boards themselves may differ but are very simple affairs anyway, and the ADA and UNS units will just use components at selected values, to generate a fixed voltage and current to each RGB channel for the brands chosen colour output.

The clever bit will arguably be in the blue tooth controllers to give user controllable power output to each LED channel, but the ADA and UNS units donā€™t have those anyway.

It was mentioned UNS and ADA use the same boards as Week
Not sure about that, but a possibility. I would suspect that ADA makes customs boards for their needs. This said, the board itself is really not where the money goes. It's probably the cheapest component of the whole light. Anyone with some electronic background can make a board and have them printed for pennies. All you need are the gerber files.
but aside from the obvious bad customer service and app, what are the big definite differences between the performance of Week lights vs ADA/UNS?
In one word, price.
WeekAqua costs around 200-300 USD. ADA is in the 1000 USD realm šŸ¤Æ - I am pretty sure the ADA price incorporates some hefty profit margin and overhead fees but they also probably use better quality LED chips, components and power supply. The PSU that comes with WeekAqua is pretty light and is usually a telltale sign of poor quality. Good quality PSU include higher quality components, like better capacitors, transformers or chokes. These 3 components alone will add considerable weight to the PSU.
Chihiros used to have lower quality PSU in the past and they got so many complaints due to them failing that they changed their PSU to some more reputable brand like GVE and incidentally, they are heavier.

Last edited:
Not really sure we need to know, they all come out of the same OEM factory, so I canā€™t imagine theyā€™d go out of their way to try and find alternative combination RGB LEDā€™s or other components - theyā€™d buy them in bulk and use them across all products - and itā€™s the LEDā€™s which are arguably the important bit.

The LED boards themselves may differ but are very simple affairs anyway, and the ADA and UNS units will just use components at selected values, to generate a fixed voltage and current to each RGB channel for the brands chosen colour output.

The clever bit will arguably be in the blue tooth controllers to give user controllable power output to each LED channel, but the ADA and UNS units donā€™t have those anyway.
Not sure about that, but a possibility. I would suspect that ADA makes customs boards for their needs. This said, the board itself is really not where the money goes. It's probably the cheapest component of the whole light. Anyone with some electronic background can make a board and have them printed for pennies. All you need are the gerber files.

In one word, price.
WeekAqua costs around 200-300 USD. ADA is in the 1000 USD realm šŸ¤Æ - I am pretty sure the ADA price incorporates some hefty profit margin and overhead fees but they also probably use better quality LED chips, components and power supply. The PSU that comes with WeekAqua is pretty light and is usually a telltale sign of poor quality. Good quality PSU include higher quality components, like better capacitors, transformers or chokes. These 3 components alone will add considerable weight to the PSU.
Chihiros used to have lower quality PSU in the past and they got so many complaints due to them failing that they changed their PSU to some more reputable brand like GVE and incidentally, they are heavier.
Oh wow, ok so there is MUCH more into this than I originally thought. Glad to understand that they arent necessarily just "substitutable". Appreciate the insight here, it is indeed unfortunate that Week does not spend that last extra effort to ensure a better app, because im pretty sure alot of people would jump onboard. Not entirely sure what the logic going on there is.

Back