• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pygmy Island - 60P high-tech

Libba

20220806_154307.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason these posts aren’t coming in to my “what’s new” section. Anyone else experiencing the same? Anyway, @Libba beautiful tank!

I do have another question however,at what percentage do you run the Chihiros?

For some reason these posts aren’t coming in to my “what’s new” section. Anyone else experiencing the same? Anyway, @Libba beautiful tank!

I do have another question however,at what percentage do you run the Chihiros?
It gradually ramps up and maxes out at 27%

12 hours total

I wonder if the Bucephalandras would like sitting on limestone? (I admit at once that I'm largely unsuccessful Buce keeper...)

I wonder if the Bucephalandras would like sitting on limestone? (I admit at once that I'm largely unsuccessful Buce keeper...)

Time will tell, I guess. I'd have thought these rocks were mostly clay but I'm not a geologist.

Hi all,
I'd have thought these rocks were mostly clay but I'm not a geologist.
I think the rocks are likely to be limestone, but it isn't a material I've ever owned and I know <"that opinion varies">. I'm not sure it is a problem either way, because I think that the geology in Borneo (Kalimantan), where they grow <"is also limestone">.

I think that some members (@GHNelson ?) have grown Bucephalandra spp. without any problem in hard water?

cheers Darrel

I'd have thought these rocks were mostly clay but I'm not a geologist.
You can drop an acid (common vinegar would do) on any rock and you'll see - if it's effervescing the rock contains carbonates.

Hi all,

I think the rocks are likely to be limestone, but it isn't a material I've ever owned and I know <"that opinion varies">. I'm not sure it is a problem either way, because I think that the geology in Borneo (Kalimantan), where they grow <"is also limestone">.

I think that some members (@GHNelson ?) have grown Bucephalandra spp. without any problem in hard water?

cheers Darrel

I’ve got around a dozen types of Buce all growing fine in KH/GH of 10-11 so I suspect it is not an issue. 😊

Hi all,

cheers Darrel

Hard water is no concern for me, Darrel. My tank water is 3dGH and 1dKH, same as my tap. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on whether those rocks are limestone ;)

Hi all,
I'm obsessed with these Pygmies.
Can you get hold of some <"structural leaf litter">, Magnolia grandiflora, Guava (Psidium spp.) or Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) etc?

It really helps <"with long term maintenance">, have a look at Larry Waybright's (@apistomaster) comments in the linked PlanetCatfish thread. Larry is about as good as it gets in terms of fish maintenance.

The other thing that makes a real difference is a <"Banana or micro-worm"> (Panagrellus spp.) culture. I don't have any Grindal Worms (Enchytraeus buchholzi) at the moment, but the Pygmy Cories have <"carried on spawning"> on a largely Daphnia, <"Bugbites"> and Banana-worm diet.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Can you get hold of some <"structural leaf litter">, Magnolia grandiflora, Guava (Psidium spp.) or Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) etc?

It really helps <"with long term maintenance">, have a look at Larry Waybright's (@apistomaster) comments in the linked PlanetCatfish thread. Larry is about as good as it gets in terms of fish maintenance.

The other thing that makes a real difference is a <"Banana or micro-worm"> (Panagrellus spp.) culture. I don't have any Grindal Worms (Enchytraeus buchholzi) at the moment, but the Pygmy Cories have <"carried on spawning"> on a largely Daphnia, <"Bugbites"> and Banana-worm diet.

cheers Darrel

I'm a bit hesitant to add leaves to the tank because I'm not a fan of tannins. I love the live food suggestion though. I've just ordered a microworm culture to start with and then I'll give daphnia a try after that.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm a bit hesitant to add leaves to the tank because I'm not a fan of tannins.
Some leaves don't add much colour, in the UK the one people usually use is Beech (Fagus sylvatica), but I'm guessing that isn't available to you. Personally <"I like some humic substances"> so I always have a bit of tint.

I'm pretty sure that "Guava" (either Psidium guajava or P. cattleyanum ) won't <"colour the water much">.

cheers Darrel

Back