• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green/brown algae on hard scape

Anthony81

Hi all.
I'm getting and brown/green in colour algae on my rocks,stones and sand, the plants look fine and are growing well. I've tryed to look up what kind it is but I'm not sure what one it is and if it's just because it's and new tank (5 1/2 weeks old).
Can anyone help or spot something I've got wrong please.
Tank juwell lido 120l
Lighting is what comes with the tank which uses twin LED bulbs - juwell LED day 9000k 12w and a Juwell LED nature 6500k 12w ( the LED day in at the back). Lighting is on for 8hrs per day.
Filter is a fluval 307 external.
Pressured Co2 with Co2 art regulator and a Co2 art inline defuser. Co2 come on 2hrs before lights and turns off 1 hr before the lights turn off. I've always got a lime green colour on the bubble.
Currently doing 70% water changes twice a week with a good vacuum over the sand to remove top layer.
Ferts - The 2hr aquarist APT3 complete fertiliser dosing 4ml per day.
Easy-life easycarbo 2ml per day.
Tropical aquarium soil.
ADA La plata sand.
ADA aqua gravel.
plants - Rotala rotundifolia,
Hemianthus micranthemoides,
Eleocharis montevidensis,
Blyxa japonica,
Staurogyne repens,
Cryptocoryne nevelli,
Bucephalandra green velvet
Microsorum pteropus,
Cryptocoryne Parva.

I cant think of any other details I could give.

20220712_185735.jpg
20220712_185729.jpg
20220712_185722.jpg
20220712_185715.jpg
20220712_185657.jpg
20220712_185644.jpg
20220712_185748.jpg

Some nice looking healthy plants, looks like brown diatoms you get in new tanks, patience, i wouldnt tinker like Maq said with only that amount of algea.

Thank you. I don't mind it on the rocks and like you said it looks natural just annoying on the sand but I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and let it run its course.

The sand / substrate will never remain pristine. If it's not algae then bacterial biofilms will be present for sure.

Hi all,
algae in this amount contribute to natural appearance.
I'm a <"patina fan"> as well.
I don't mind it on the rocks and like you said it looks natural just annoying on the sand but I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and let it run its course.
Snails will remove it, <"All hail the nerite snail">. I've not kept Nerites, but <"Ramshorn snails"> (Planorbella duryi) work well

<"Malaysian Trumpet Snails"> (Melanoides tuberculata) will remove it from the sand.

cheers Darrel

The sand / substrate will never remain pristine. If it's not algae then bacterial biofilms will be present for sure.
Oh for sure I didn't ever think it would do I just thought I would check in the tanks early days incase I've got something wrong. This is my second ever planted tank and the one before was carpeted in the foreground so I only had wood and rocks as visible hardscape.

Back