• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Magnetic tool for moving Tropica soil

Fairdunnin

Hello group,

I have seen and read about people using a magnetic tool to removed/move unwanted Tropica soil that lands on sand substrate.
I have google searched and I can't seem to find any such tools.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
James

How about a neodymium magnet? The higher the N-rating, the stronger the force. The highest rating is N52, and a small one should cost around £10. Beyond that you would require a waterproof electromagnet.
Hi Simon, are these neodymium magnets aquarium safe?

Hi Simon, are these neodymium magnets aquarium safe?
Probably... I doubt that they can cause fish to swim backwards, fluorescent lights to come on when they are off, or electromagnets in filter pumps to flow in reverse. Just keep them away from contact with electronics, and be especially careful if you have a pacemaker because things like that could possibly go haywire into terminator overdrive mode.

Last edited:
Probably... I doubt that they can cause fish to swim backwards, fluorescent lights to come on when they are off, or electromagnets in filter pumps to flow in reverse. Just keep them away from contact with electronics, and be especially careful if you have a pacemaker because things like that could possibly go haywire into terminator overdrive mode.

And don't eat them!

Hi Simon and thanks for the response.

However let me rephrase my question. Will this type of magnet, or any kind of magnet, react in any way with the water and release any kind of harmful substances, taking into account the ferts that are used?

I understand that the contact time will be, minimal, for just a few minutes, however I am clueless with regard to chemistry and just want to play it safe.

For example, will this Amazon product ASIN B075XK449M , be safe to use?

Apologies for my ignorance and for hijacking James' thread .

Thanks,
Marios

I use one like that. I think the only issue isn't with the tank but is actually not drying it, water staying inside the shaft and rusting

Hello, after using this kind of tool (which works pretty good) to pick the aquasoil, and spending time to remove each piece on the sand, I gave up... and the winners are... the amano shrimps... 👏

It’s always the shrimps and I was so gonna get one of these handy little gadgets.

But after adding a rambunctious candy stripe pleco ….suddenly the Amano’s seem like angels. 🤬

Apparently you can get used to messy sand. 😏

I have seen and read about people using a magnetic tool to removed/move unwanted Tropica soil that lands on sand substrate.
Hi @ Fairdunnin,

Presumably, this means that Tropica soil contains a ferromagnetic material. Any idea what it is? Iron, nickel, cobalt? Note: I am not suggesting that anything in Tropica soil is itself magnetic - simply that it is attracted to magnets. Or, putting it another way - why would an aquarium soil contain bits of metal?

JPC

Last edited:
Back