• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Tank (ish)

ArronM

Hey,

So I’m going to purchase this kit; Strideways Sado 45P Aquarium Kit

Thoughts and opinions please :) I’m wanting to also co2 inject this tank and create a carpet for the tank, it will be a shrimp / chilli rasboras tank.
Will this tank work for what I want?

Also can anyone recommend a co2 setup for this tank?

Yes that will work just fine mate. As for CO2 you have CO2 Art as a forum sponsor and a wealth of knowledge on hand with them.

You could run one of their regulators off whichever Co2 bottle you choose and just use a little in tank diffuser.

A tank that size a decent size bottle will lay you a fair while.

Yes that will work just fine mate. As for CO2 you have CO2 Art as a forum sponsor and a wealth of knowledge on hand with them.

You could run one of their regulators off whichever Co2 bottle you choose and just use a little in tank diffuser.

A tank that size a decent size bottle will lay you a fair while.

I’ve been looking at there stuff, also the disposable setups from tropica but after some research they don’t seen to be worth the penny,

I’ve been looking at there stuff, also the disposable setups from tropica but after some research they don’t seen to be worth the penny,
It’s worthwhile investing in a proper setup as it will last a long time and you can always run a second tank off it.

Yes buddy I’ll be using a small internal filter, this one is in line Oase BioCompact 50

Unless you can advice more in an internal or sponge or hang on filter?
Internal or hang filters aren’t my area of knowledge, I’ve used both and couldn’t stand them. I’m a huge advocate for canister and glass pipes.

Anything by Oase is going to work well, same for sicce or Eheim. Just go with what will offer the best surface agitation, you’ll need gas exchange more so now you’re looking at Co2 injection.

Internal or hang filters aren’t my area of knowledge, I’ve used both and couldn’t stand them. I’m a huge advocate for canister and glass pipes.

Anything by Oase is going to work well, same for sicce or Eheim. Just go with what will offer the best surface agitation, you’ll need gas exchange more so now you’re looking at Co2 injection.
My issue for this tank is going to be that it’s not going to have room for a canister filter to go under it. I had a canister FX Filter on my 240L community tank that was fantastic.

My issue for this tank is going to be that it’s not going to have room for a canister filter to go under it. I had a canister FX Filter on my 240L community tank that was fantastic.
Yeah that’s fair enough, you can only work with you have.
There are tiny canister filters out there, you’ll find one on Juris’ channel. A gent on here also made one.
I’ve nothing against internal filters, they do the job just as well as any other providing it’s used in the right tank.
Oase do an internal corner one that can house a heater too, I’ve used this in the past and just built the scape around it (leaving room to get it in and out).
Rockwork or wood can easily hide it with the flow jetting out over the top.

I liked that filter because you can have a steam of flow or have it spray like a spray bar.

The smallest they have is 50, I’m sure you can get smaller, like a 25 or something.

The smallest they have is 50, I’m sure you can get smaller, like a 25 or something.

These don’t look bad at all, I may go for one and see how it goes. Still debating on co2 as I can get a 2KG fire extinguishers for £10 looks new but unsure if it’s in date does that matter for using it for an aquarium?

Then I could by thr co2 art kit that’s about £160.

These don’t look bad at all, I may go for one and see how it goes. Still debating on co2 as I can get a 2KG fire extinguishers for £10 looks new but unsure if it’s in date does that matter for using it for an aquarium?

Then I could by thr co2 art kit that’s about £160.
I’ve never used a fire extinguisher but I’m fairly sure they’re safe. They’re just not fit for the intended purpose.
You’d also be installing a regulator which in theory would make it safer?

I’ve never used a fire extinguisher but I’m fairly sure they’re safe. They’re just not fit for the intended purpose.
You’d also be installing a regulator which in theory would make it safer?

What bottle would you advice otherwise bud?

Yes buddy I’ll be using a small internal filter, this one is in line Oase BioCompact 50

Unless you can advice more in an internal or sponge or hang on filter?
I bought that myself about 3 weeks ago and had to put a sponge filter in it that was already in use from another tank alongide until it got properly filled with the beneficial bacteria. I got lots of problems with nitrite/nitrate and even on one occasion got a green ammonia reading.
I did daily, even twice daily, water changes to try and resolve the issue. The sponge filter is only small but large enough to work the tank it was in so I was really miffed about the situation. The Oase filters clogged up very quickly every time and cleaning them was easier said than done.
There are 2 sections the filter. One has a normal sponge and the next has a finer sponge with activated carbon. The carbon bits were just getting absolutely gummed up in no time and although there were replacements in the purchased package, it seems a bit off if you have to change the carbon each time. I didn't of course as I washed them in tank water. Another thing is that one of the suckers has a mounting hole directly over the carbon filter section and every time I tried to slip the medium back into the filter body it pushed the sucker off.
I also increased the airflow through the sponge filter by joing the unused pipes from 3 outlets with normal Y junction joiners. That worked and the water readings quickly got back to normal. However I don't want the sponge in the tank for longer than I need, and I lost faith in the Oase.
In the end I just went online and bought an external filter. So much easier and even has a UV light. The change in the water was almost immediate. Although I didn't even think that the water clarity was in any way impaired, when I got the external filter running it was as if I had just had fresh new and completely transparent water, almost as if the fish were floating in the air.
Oh, The tank was fully cycled before this situation happened.
It's an Oase tank 50cm wide that has around 14 green neon tetras whcih I think are far better than the run of the mill Neon Tetras being brighter and smaller, then there's a single Santa Maria Endler, the other 3 having jumped out of the tank, and a pair of Scarlett Badis with a troop of 4 King Kong shrimp.
All of them are doing nicely together though the Badis tend to hide in a tunnel area in the wood behind the lower Anubia.
You can see them all happily going about their business from this link: TheBridesMother - Twitch

I have CO2 for the tank as it's heavily planted. I used to do it the cheap way by using 2 x 2ltr coke bottles with citric acid in 1 of them and bicarb in the other. You'll have seen them going cheap on fleabay. They did a pretty good job but just looked $hite.
Not wanting to buy the ones that the professionals use at way over £100 each, I opted for these and they are really good, really easy to use and smart looking as well. My 2nd arrives last Wednesday. They only took a couple of weeks to arrive as well.

I always used to buy ista 2L bottles. They’re not cheap and I couldn’t find a place to refill. I don’t mind spending the money so it want an issue for me.

Plenty of other on here will advise where to buy bottles.

As for the above. Not to knock @Lynnzer but if you buy cheap you buy twice and a co2 regulator is 100% something I would not skimp out on, you could end up suffocating your tank, and for the safety of yourself too should it fail and unload a bottle of co2 into your face. Ouch !!

I’m not sure what filter he’s talking about either. The oase one I linked you too, does come with sponges, just take one out and replace with media. Then replace the smaller one with floss.

It's the BioCompact I bought. And hey... from Horizon. This is my all-time favourite place.
I think the BioCompact was just a bit smaller than I needed though but I still stand with the problems I stated.
My tank had been sponge filtered since the original aquascape. The filter was previously fully used for around 6 weeks in a 60ltr tank so I didn't need to do a fishless cycle.
I just added fish and away I went. I had that sponge filter in the tank until I put the Oase in when I replaced it with a smaller one albeit another that was fully utilised in another tank.
It was then that the water parameters started to go wrong. I'm not blaming the Oase for that as I found that increasing the airflow through the sponge filter brought things back to normal. However, I do stand by the fact that the filter gummed up very quickly even though it was being thoroughly filtered prior to its use. The activated charcoal was worse. It just completely gummed and shut off water flow. The suction cup is also a fact. It just pops out when you slide the filter medium holders back into the body. I've had to superglue it into place.

I totally agree in the "buy it cheap, buy it twice" philosophy.
I had no problems with the guages on the old two bottle setup for the CO2 generators. They were of good quality. It's just that having two big coke bottles on the desktop was a bit of a no-no.
The new ones from the link I pointed to are superb. Excellent quality, easy to refill, and inexpensive. Not cheap. Just inexpensive by comparison.
I have 2 of them running now.
The two tanks to the right that are aquacaped use them with superb results

Attachments

• IMG_20220516_131035.jpg
    IMG_20220516_131035.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20220516_131050.jpg
    IMG_20220516_131050.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 124
So I’m going to purchase this kit; Strideways Sado 45P Aquarium Kit
Also can anyone recommend a co2 setup for this tank?
About 30L total volume water for you so you could go with disposable CO2 bottles supplied for MiG welding in either 600g (Clarke CO2 Gas Cylinder (600g) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart) or 850g (Co2 Gas Cylinder (Disposable)) formats - I've used both successfully. On my 40L tank the 600g bottle lasts 3 or 4 months. These will need either an adaptor to convert the output to something the CO2 art regulator/solenoid/needle_valve system can handle, or you can homebrew with a regulator designed for disposable bottles (The Welders Warehouse - Gas Regulator for Throwaway Gas Cylinders with 2 Gauges) which is what I do. Then you also have to sort solenoid (on/off timing) and needle valve yourself, which is pretty straightforward.

Right guys and girls,
I did go for this tank. Strideways Sado 45P Aquarium Kit

With all your help and input I’ve decided to go for a full all in one kit from co2 art. Investment at its finest.

But before I go and buy the co2 kit I’m now wanting advice on what filter and heater to go for for this tank.
I can’t go external as where it will be placed so I am looked at going internal for this one it will have shrimp and chilli rasboras in so I’d want it as stable as possible after my fishless cycle I will be using aqua soil rocks and wood, my aim is to make the scape without plants and then cycle the tank to get it stable ready for shrimp to go into so yeah I need an internal filter for this. I am however going to upgrade my Roma 90 to an external at some point after this :)

Right guys and girls,
I did go for this tank. Strideways Sado 45P Aquarium Kit

With all your help and input I’ve decided to go for a full all in one kit from co2 art. Investment at its finest.

But before I go and buy the co2 kit I’m now wanting advice on what filter and heater to go for for this tank.
I can’t go external as where it will be placed so I am looked at going internal for this one it will have shrimp and chilli rasboras in so I’d want it as stable as possible after my fishless cycle I will be using aqua soil rocks and wood, my aim is to make the scape without plants and then cycle the tank to get it stable ready for shrimp to go into so yeah I need an internal filter for this. I am however going to upgrade my Roma 90 to an external at some point after this :)

Is a HOB filter not an option - generally a lot easier to maintain than internals. The new Oase BioStyle units look nice and slick - I have an 180 on back order, but the smaller 75 might be suitable for this tank:

I know there will be people that disagree with me, but for me personally 32 litres is too small for fish, particularly for an active fish like Chilli's. As a shrimp tank, it's perfect though.

Back