• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water supply report

Marios

Hi all,

Below are the results of the quality control of drinking water regarding the "Chemical Control" (whatever that means) for my local tap water supply that I was able to retrieve from the Government Laboratory of Cyprus. These results concern the 2nd semester of 2020.

pH
7.9​
Conductivity (25°C)
819​
μS/cm
NH4+
0​
Sb
0​
As
0​
B
0​
SO4=
73​
mg/l
Cd
0​
Mn
0​
Pb
0​
Na+
37​
mg/l
Ni
1.2​
μg/l
NO3-
3​
mg/l
NO2-
0​
Total organic carbon (TOC)
0.9​
mg/l
Se
2.1​
μg/l
Hg
0​
F-
0​
Cu
0​
Cl-
47​
mg/l
Cr
2.2​
μg/l

Anyone care to explain what my results say? I am trying to understand if any of the above values play any important role to my tank's water chemistry and dosing regime, which is attached and is based on Clive's E.I. target.

P.S.
1) I am new to this hobby and I am trying to get a better understanding on whatever I can.
2) I have been using the IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator and would like to express my thanks to @Zeus. , @Hanuman and anyone else that contributed to the creation of this amazing calculator.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    77 KB · Views: 156
Hi all
pH
7.9​
Conductivity (25°C)
819​
μS/cm
Cl-
47​
mg/l

Na+
37​
mg/l
It looks pretty good quality, no heavy metals and low nitrate (NO3-) values.

It doesn't give you hardness (dGH or dKH), calcium (Ca++) or (bi)carbonate (HCO3-) values, but the pH and conductivity levels suggest that it is hard water. <"Your location"> would also suggest that dGH is likely to include some magnesium (Mg++) a long with the calcium.

Because sodium (Na+) and chloride (Cl-) are relatively low, you don't have any saline water input.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
and conductivity levels suggest that it is hard water.
Agreed. 819 μs/cm - deducting the contributions from the SO4,Na,Cl, I would venture a guesstimate around 15 KH/GH. I would measure it out with a GH/KH test kit though.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi all

It looks pretty good quality, no heavy metals and low nitrate (NO3-) values.

It doesn't give you hardness (dGH or dKH), calcium (Ca++) or (bi)carbonate (HCO3-) values, but the pH and conductivity levels suggest that it is hard water. <"Your location"> would also suggest that dGH is likely to include some magnesium (Mg++) a long with the calcium.

Because sodium (Na+) and chloride (Cl-) are relatively low, you don't have any saline water input.

cheers Darrel
Many thanks Darrel. You are always willing to help.

Agreed. 819 μs/cm - deducting the contributions from the SO4,Na,Cl, I would venture a guesstimate around 15 KH/GH. I would measure it out with a GH/KH test kit though.

Cheers,
Michael
Hi Michael. Based on my test kits, KH is around 17 and GH around 20-21.

On another note, I am currently using Clive's E.I. target, and using KNO3, KH2PO4 and MgSO4. Based on the IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator, my potassium is 46 % of the suggested dose (i.e. 14 ppm instead of 30 ppm). Should I add any Potassium Sulphate to my mixture to increase K to 30ppm or is it not that necessary? As the tank is fairly new and I am still learning on water chemistry, plant needs and deficiencies, I am not really able to tell if the melting from some plant leaves is a nutrient deficiency, plant adaptation from emersed state or a CO2 distribution issue.
I have recently increased the CO2 injection and based on my readings, the pH reading from ph meter drops from 7.85 to 7.06 and the drop checkers are lime green to yellow in two different positions in the tank, I believe my CO2 to be ok.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    77 KB · Views: 89
Based on your water report and your water already being quite hard I would be very surprised if your water didnt already have enough Potassium (K)in it already to make up the shortfall in 'Clives Regime'.
But Potassium Sulphate is a good cheap salt to use to add some extra K

Back