• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water conditioners

Federal

Hi,
I am looking for an opinions for water conditioners. By members used various of products.
Will be delighted to discus Sera, Tetra, Seachem, Fluval, Tropica, Dajana...

Yes, chlorine remover. What are yours expressions.

I love aquarium co-op channel. Because of him I always maintain a good level of surface agitation. But with dechlorination I use seachem prime primarily because it lasts for ages.

Pick whichever is cheaper in your country/local shop (making sure to work it out by litres treated rather than price per bottle) - all the big brands are going to do the same job.

I used to use Seachem prime, but I am not convinced 5 ml to 200 l work well. Now I use Tetra aqua safe 5 ml to 10 l water. After weekly changing of water and adding Tetra chlorine remover my guppies are getting more colored.

I have used Prime for years. It used to be the most economical one. Now there are so many I'm not sure.

At one point I had some doubts. I was wondering if by locking away ammonia it caused problems with cycling. But I don't think there was evidence for this.

Of course the cheapest dechlorinator by far, and as used by fish keepers for years before modern concentrated convenient things like Prime came along, is/was sodium thiosulphate. You can get this from Ebay £6 for 1Kg !!! or you used to, years ago, get it from "ye olde" photographic shops where is was/is used as a fixer for photographic emulsions. 1Kg will dechlorinate 100,000 L of water with chlorine or about 1/2 to 1/3 that with chloramine.

Of course the cheapest dechlorinator by far, and as used by fish keepers for years before modern concentrated convenient things like Prime came along, is/was sodium thiosulphate. You can get this from Ebay £6 for 1Kg !!! or you used to, years ago, get it from "ye olde" photographic shops where is was/is used as a fixer for photographic emulsions. 1Kg will dechlorinate 100,000 L of water with chlorine or about 1/2 to 1/3 that with chloramine.
And that's exactly what all these dechlorinators brands use and sell 1000x more in liquid form...
Found a stash under the tank which I bought 3 years ago.
IMG_7561.jpg
IMG_7563.jpg

There is not possible to remove chlorine from 200 l with too little dosage. I see the differences when I use Prime and Tetra.
Have used Prime after changing water weekly the result water is getting white. Tetra don not cause it.

Back