• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI Dosing and is this deficiency

The_Nature_Scaper

HI all.

I have a 60p tank with co2 injection, a JC&P WRGB light and EI ferts. Its my competition tank for this years IAPLC, my first attempt.
I think I may have some deficiency in my plants (see crinkly leaves in the pic) and would love some advice on whether it is or not. I'm currently dosing EI ferts (macro and Micro alternate days) at 28l.

Do you think I need to up this or is it something else entirely I need to add?

The tanks heavily planted with stems, crypts, carpeting plants and tons of anubias and buce.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
279503438_362566592353836_1717450922667062208_n.jpg

If you are dosing EI you do not have any deficiencies, particularly with the group of plants listed.

But there are bunches of other things that can cause issues that are not fert related at all. Best to list more information about your tank along with a full tank shot. A tank needs to be looked at in it's entirety, and a holistic approach is always best.

The most likely/common deficiency in CO2 injected tanks esp with EI dosing is CO2 related, due to fluctuating [CO2] and/or inadequate flow/turnover. Could do with more tank details and a Full Tank pic - although if planning entering IAPLC then your not suppose too.
Doing a pH profile would help check that you have a stable pH from lights on till CO2 off.

If you are dosing EI you do not have any deficiencies, particularly with the group of plants listed.

But there are bunches of other things that can cause issues that are not fert related at all. Best to list more information about your tank along with a full tank shot. A tank needs to be looked at in it's entirety, and a holistic approach is always best.
Hi Greggz. I cant post a full shot unfortunately, this is a contest tank.

The most likely/common deficiency in CO2 injected tanks esp with EI dosing is CO2 related, due to fluctuating [CO2] and/or inadequate flow/turnover. Could do with more tank details and a Full Tank pic - although if planning entering IAPLC then your not suppose too.
Doing a pH profile would help check that you have a stable pH from lights on till CO2 off.
Hi Zeus. I have an Intaqo controller for the co2 and ferts. An APS 1000EF filter and the co2 diffuser just below the outlet. CO2 comes on 2 hours before lights and off 1 hour before lights go off. Sorry I cant post a picture to help. Also I added a small wavemaker a few days ago to increase circulation.

Last edited:
Sorry I cant post a picture to help.
No Problem we understand ;)

I have an Intaqo controller for the co2
Ph controllers do not get a stable pH - they achieve a high and low [CO2] throughout the CO2 period, which is also prone to pH probe drift as well.

APS 100EF filter
So in theory you should have enough filter output, however your choice of filter output and positioning of output/input and filter media can effect the flow/tank turnover massively. Not to mention your plant biomass. With high plant biomass flow in tank can be massively reduce which in turn creates a CO2 shortage in areas dew to inadequate localised flow.

Reducing the light intensity will also decrease the CO2 demand by the plants which also may help to achieve CO2 stability.

Back