• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gh booster 60 ppm K

mrtank50

Hello to everyone.
I use seachem equilibrium gh as a booster.

There are two issues that bother me about this. I will be glad if you help.

I am completing gh 5 using 1-seachem equilibrium. But when completed to gh 5 it adds 60 ppm of potassium. Is that 60 ppm potassium a high amount? Will it do any harm?
As far as I know, does it have an antoginism effect with high potassium ca-mg-Bor and prevent its intake?

2-After putting the osmosis water into the aquarium during the water change, I should add a mi gh increaser.
Or should I set the gh to 5 in an external osmosis water tank and add it to the aquarium?

Attachments

• GHH.JPG
    GHH.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 234
What about using CaSO4 and MgSO4? You probably are already adding K from your fertilizer.
It's advisable to remineralize the water prior adding it to the tank. This said I add directly CaSo4 in the tank because I really don't have space to store large amounts of water.
If you were to also add some dKH in that case premixing the water is probably a must.

Hello to everyone.
I use seachem equilibrium gh as a booster.

There are two issues that bother me about this. I will be glad if you help.

I am completing gh 5 using 1-seachem equilibrium. But when completed to gh 5 it adds 60 ppm of potassium. Is that 60 ppm potassium a high amount? Will it do any harm?
As far as I know, does it have an antoginism effect with high potassium ca-mg-Bor and prevent its intake?

2-After putting the osmosis water into the aquarium during the water change, I should add a mi gh increaser.
Or should I set the gh to 5 in an external osmosis water tank and add it to the aquarium?

What @Hanuman says. If you already took the plunge into remineralization with dry salts you might as well gain full control and do it cheaper than using Equilibrium. The Ca and Mg parts of Equilibrium is all Calcium Sulphate (CaSO4), and Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO4). Thats the only compounds you need to remineralize for GH - the K, Fe and Mn that Equilibrium also adds, you will (or should) get from your fertilizer regime.

If you're changing 60L you need to add ~6.4g of CaSO4 and ~4.5g of MgSO4 to reach ~5 GH with about the same Ca:Mg ratio as Equilibrium. Just add it to the RO water and stir it up before adding it to the tank - it may be a bit hard to dissolve in the container, but will eventually dissolve in the tank.

The high potassium in isolation won’t necessarily hurt as such, it’s just grossly unnecessary and just adds to your tanks TDS which in turn is not exactly beneficial for your livestock. In the past I’ve had my tanks at 80-100 ppm of potassium coming from my tap water due to the use of Potassium Chloride In our household water softener. It never caused any issues for my easy plants, but I didn’t like it due to the TDS increase, so I switched to 100% RO water.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Thank you very much guys. As usual, your rushed to help.

I will do what you say.

But there is a situation. I don't have calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate on hand. I have calcium chloride and magnesium chloride on hand.
Will it harm the plants if I use them?

When I used Seachem Equbilirum, it gave 60 ppm potassium. And I was giving 8 ppm potassium 3 times a week. This translates to a total of 24 ppm of potassium per week.

Seachem Balance = 60 ppm k

Fertilizer dose = 24 ppm

The total dose of k is 84 ppm. I think that's a high dose.

But there is a situation. I don't have calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate on hand. I have calcium chloride and magnesium chloride on hand.
Will it harm the plants if I use them?
It's adding quite a bit of chloride. I am not qualified to answer on whether it will harm the plants or not at those levels so better let the experts answer on this. Below is the dosing in case you need it.
1651128165614.png

That seems correct (see Dry Dosing column)
Thanks for your help my friend Hanuman. I am using the IFC calculator. It is a very nice and useful program.

But my version doesn't have this gh calculation plugin. When will you activate?

We are looking forward.

The remineralizer calculator is currently being built. So it won't be available immediately but soon.
:D
Sounds like it would be an ideal opportunity to add dipotassium hydrogen phosphate (K2HPO4) to the target and DIY calculators :whistle:

I can't wait for the remineraliser Tab TBH as it will help me hit my KH target.

That seems correct (see Dry Dosing column)
View attachment 187556

Hi @Hanuman (looping in @Zeus.). While technically correct (I suppose), I am wondering about the SO4 column in the MACRO SIDE PPM RESULT PANE. I think it would be more useful to have the total S (Sulphate) broken down instead of (or in addition to) the SO4 column - which in the above case with CaSO4 and MgSO4 would be (19.14 + 9.46) = 28.6 ppm of S. Just a suggestion!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
You mention that you have calcium and magnesium chloride on hand. I use calcium chloride and epsom salt (MgSO4.7H20, which I got at the grocery store for super cheap) and have never had an issue with the chloride. You do have to be careful not to combine the two in a concentrated solution or there will be some precipitation, but calcium chloride dissolves like a dream compared to calcium sulfate. (I have no experience with magnesium chloride.)

I think it would be more useful to have the total S (Sulphate) broken down instead of (or in addition to) the SO4 column - which in the above case with CaSO4 and MgSO4 would be (19.14 + 9.46) = 28.6 ppm of S. Just a suggestion!
Its was decided that seeing that most water company reports quote Sulphate (SO4) we would just show SO4 as we was trying to not show too much data as we didn't want folk to be put off. For the more science tech savvy folk the conversion is easy.
In the back end we have both
1651175587501.png

Hi @Hanuman (looping in @Zeus.). While technically correct (I suppose), I am wondering about the SO4 column in the MACRO SIDE PPM RESULT PANE. I think it would be more useful to have the total S (Sulphate) broken down instead of (or in addition to) the SO4 column - which in the above case with CaSO4 and MgSO4 would be (19.14 + 9.46) = 28.6 ppm of S. Just a suggestion!

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes it is correct. Doesn't mean we can't make errors though, and we have made a few in the past.
Can you elaborate on why it would be more useful so see S? By the way S is Sulfure not Sulfate. SO4 is Sulfate. In my experience most people refer to Sulfate and not really Sulfur but I could be wrong. At the end of the day it does't really matter because you are technically under the constrain of which compound you add and whether it is S or SO4 that is shown you can't do much about it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes it is correct. Doesn't mean we can't make errors though, and we have made a few in the past.
Can you elaborate on why it would be more useful so see S? By the way S is Sulfure not Sulfate. SO4 is Sulfate. In my experience most people refer to Sulfate and not really Sulfur but I could be wrong. At the end of the day it does't really matter because you are technically under the constrain of which compound you add and whether it is S or SO4 that is shown you can't do much about it.
Yes, S is Sulfur in English (or Sulphur if you want to go British English) ... I think Sulfure is French... SO4 is Sulphate, of course... Thanks for catching my error :) In any event, One point is to make it comparable to the S you get in the rotalabutterfly (its nice to see the same numbers... makes transitioning to IFC easier... I guess, but no problem - most can divide by 3... if they know that is the ratio to apply, that is) - also the S part of SO4 is what shows up as TDS - I know it don't quite translate 100% due to the difference in ionic conductivity, but it's much more pertinent than the full SO4 ppm (I think?!) Anyway, Great job on the Calculator!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I think Sulfure is French.
Correct. I'm French, at least 50%.
One point is to make it comparable to the S you get in the rotalabutterfly (its nice to see the same numbers... makes transitioning to IFC easier
Trust issues? 🤪 - Joking. This said, we did help correct 1 or 2 bugs in the Rotalla Butterfly if memory serves me well 😉, so that's that. Fablau which is the engineer behind Rotalla also gave us some input during the creation of the IFC calculator.
also the S part of SO4 is what shows up as TDS - I know it don't quite translate 100% due to the difference in ionic conductivity, but it's much more pertinent than the full SO4 ppm (I think?!)
Problem is you have no idea of what the TDS is composed of so it makes it pretty irrelevant.
Anyway, Great job on the Calculator!
Thank you. The new ReminCalculator is mostly done.

Correct. I'm French, at least 50%.
Je vois, je ne savais pas.
Trust issues? 🤪 - Joking.
Not at all! :lol:
This said, we did help correct 1 or 2 bugs in the Rotalla Butterfly if memory serves me well 😉, so that's that. Fablau which is the engineer behind Rotalla also gave us some input during the creation of the IFC calculator.
Problem is you have no idea of what the TDS is composed of so it makes it pretty irrelevant.
Nah, I am not letting that one slip through :) Knowing what a compound of choice is doing to your TDS is indeed pretty relevant if you're concerned about certain delicate livestock and wish to optimize things a bit. I have been chasing low TDS for a while, while keeping pretty high fertilizer levels, and been trying a lot of different compounds for NPK, Ca and Mg... I know TDS is not the whole story, but knowing what a compound approximately is doing to your TDS is generally a good thing... that said, for most practical hobbyist purposes I don't think we disagree...and information over-load as @Zeus. pointed out is generally a bad thing.
Thank you. The new ReminCalculator is mostly done.
Your welcome! Very cool! 👍

EDITED

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Another vote here for an 'Estimated TDS' column in your forthcoming remin caluclator
Noted and will be in Version 14.3br ;) 🤣. Adding new commercial products is very easy as all we do, just add a line in the back end drag the formulas down and enter some data. As to add 'Estimated TDS' would involved altering the front end, all the code for it and the dreaded conditional formatting and the back end. So it may be a feature we look at in the future. When we get close to release we have to 'draw a line in the sand' and say no new features or we would never release. The New ReminCalculator is a big new feature in itself which between concept and final polish has took many- many hours. Its a by product of 'Covid and Lockdown'

Back