• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

adding plants in the presence of fuzzy hardscape

brhau

Hi all,

I've got some Bucephelandra trimmings coming in the mail today, and the tank I'd like to add them to is in an early phase of maturation. There's lots of white fuzz on the wood where I'd either like to attach the buce plants or at least have them in this area. I don't want to remove the fuzz, I'd rather let the tank sort it out. Is the fuzz/bacteria a threat to these plants? If so, I can either float them or put them in a different tank for now.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
I'm guessing it is a bacterial slime that is living off lignin or something nutritious released by the wood.
If slime covers the leaves or roots of your Bucephalandra plants then this will restrict nutrients, notably oxygen and carbon dioxide, and they could suffer.
Whether the slime damages plant tissue in other ways is not clear. I haven't had such problems with Anubias, but I wouldn't subject new plants to these conditions.
Usually the slime will either fall off as it gets microbially decomposed or shrimp will consume it if you have enough of them.

Just siphon the slime out and place your plants in its place. Equally you could take the wood out give it a good clean (boil it if you can).

Just siphon the slime out and place your plants in its place. Equally you could take the wood out give it a good clean (boil it if you can).
No, I need the slime. I could clean just the portions to attach to, but that won't necessarily stop it from accumulating on the plants eventually.

If the Buce is hard to replace and you dont want to risk their strangulation I would find them some temporary accommodations while you wait out the slime.
Could strap them to some pebbles, or attach a zip tie around the rhizome, another method is stuffing them in a cylinder of biomedia.

It's an important part of the food web in the tank. I want the tank to be mature and active before adding fish.
I don’t see how that can be true though, yes it’s harmless and fish can eat it. But it’s only a Bi-product of the wood you’ve added.
You wouldn’t get it with an Iwagumi setup or wood that’s been used before, and they don’t seem to be at any sort of disadvantage for not not having it.
It also begs the question why you asked if it was a threat to your plants if you now deem it to be so important?

I don’t see how that can be true though, yes it’s harmless and fish can eat it. But it’s only a Bi-product of the wood you’ve added.
You wouldn’t get it with an Iwagumi setup or wood that’s been used before, and they don’t seem to be at any sort of disadvantage for not not having it.
It also begs the question why you asked if it was a threat to your plants if you now deem it to be so important?
It plays a natural role in feeding microfauna, inverts, fungi, etc. all of which I want in my tank. I don't think this volume of it will last forever, but I also don't to remove it as a resource as the tank matures.

The lack of biofilm might not be a disadvantage to the plants in an Iwagumi setup, but that setup wouldn't work for the fish I'm adding, which live in peat swamps. The reason I'm asking is that I've never planted around it. So, for example, if a new cutting is adapting to a new tank, maybe it's not good for it to be a substrate for this biofilm? I see it accumulate on the roots of some (but not all) of the floating plants, but these are usually the ones that aren't doing well to begin with.

It plays a natural role in feeding microfauna, inverts, fungi, etc. all of which I want in my tank. I don't think this volume of it will last forever, but I also don't to remove it as a resource as the tank matures.

The lack of biofilm might not be a disadvantage to the plants in an Iwagumi setup, but that setup wouldn't work for the fish I'm adding, which live in peat swamps. The reason I'm asking is that I've never planted around it. So, for example, if a new cutting is adapting to a new tank, maybe it's not good for it to be a substrate for this biofilm? I see it accumulate on the roots of some (but not all) of the floating plants, but these are usually the ones that aren't doing well to begin with.
It all certainly sounds like you’ve made your mind up mate.
And as you say, once it’s run it’s course you can add your plants. I think you’re actual question was answered already. It may smother the plants of oxygen or Co2 maybe even limit photosynthesis.
If you feel it’s got more benefit to have in the tank over the plants (right now).
Then stick with what you’re doing
Good luck with everything else.

Thanks. i didn't mean to say it's important for every tank. It's important for the environment I'm trying to create in my tanks. I don't know plants very well, though, so I'm happy to get advice from people with more expertise on those.

Cheers

Thanks. i didn't mean to say it's important for every tank. It's important for the environment I'm trying to create in my tanks. I don't know plants very well, though, so I'm happy to get advice from people with more expertise on those.

Cheers
Don’t be daft mate, it’s all healthy debate here and none of us no everything.

If you have a plan for your tank stick with it. Sometimes patience and letting nature run its course is the best fix.

I think there was a video from MJ Aquascaping on YouTube that talks about how the bacterial fuzz on driftwood affecting his plants adversely. Tried to find it with no luck though :/

Not sure how true this is, but the general consensus seems to be that the fuzz is harmless and will go away on its own.

If you are worried, you can always add shrimps that would eat them / wait until they disappear before you add any plants.

I would avoid planting in the slime, you really want to provide the best possible condition to your plants, moving from tank to tank or changing from emersed to submersed is already stressful enough.

I’d try and remove the slime. I agree with you in regards to biofilm but the stuff you get off of fresh spider wood is pretty nasty and chokes stuff. A siphon will do it and Your tank will still develop a layer of proper biofilm on all surfaces.

Back