• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Profile Ceratopteris thalictroides

Scientific Name
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Botanical Name
Ceratópteris thalictroídes (L.) Brongn.
Synonyms
Acrostichum thalictroides L., Ceratopteris froesii Brade, Ceratopteris gaudichaudii Brongn., Ceratopteris siliquosa (L.) Copel.
Major Group
Monilophytes
Order
Polypodiales
Family
Pteridaceae
Genus
Ceratopteris
Does anyone know if the tops grow roots when planted in the substrate? I bought this plant online and it came with completely black roots, but the rest of the plant looks fine.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the tops grow roots when planted in the substrate? I bought this plant online and it came with completely black roots, but the rest of the plant looks fine.
One of the stem plants that can be used as a floating plant.
Leave the detached leaf on the surface to encourage root growth.
This can then be planted in the substrate when new roots appear...the older roots normally turn dark which indicates a good time for planting!
Floating plants 3..jpg

hoggie

If a picture paints 1,000 words. I don't grow it in the substrate, tetras and barbs like to spawn in the root mass.

Attachments

• DSCF1090.JPG
    DSCF1090.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF1091.JPG
    DSCF1091.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF1092.JPG
    DSCF1092.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCF3105.JPG
    DSCF3105.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 361
Grew it many many years ago. Water was liquid rock and lighting was tungsten filament 100W lamps. Photo period short due to cost. Grew best floating, broad pale green leaves with many daughter plant lets growing. When planted in substrate, plain gravel, the plant stated to shed its broad leaves and grow with narrow leaves. Submerged growth was poor compared with floating growth but it had to contend with a common plec, not so common back then.

For some reason I cannot grow it submersed, it just rots away. I have no clue why except, of course, that it has access to plenty of CO2 and more light.

I love this plant, it's a solid floating grower with lovely emergent growth. My betta loves it especially, it makes a great underwater ecosystem for the fish and shrimps. Fabulous plant for a quarantine tank I think.

Is the common name for this plant, ' lace fern '. Looks very similar to what I have and it thrives. Although at the moment the leaves seem to be changing their appearance.

If I have this wrong please disregard or delete.

Dirk

Is the common name for this plant, ' lace fern '. Looks very similar to what I have and it thrives. Although at the moment the leaves seem to be changing their appearance.

If I have this wrong please disregard or delete.

Dirk
Water Sprite!

I bought it as lace fern and it looks like in the photo. I also have what is supposed to be wisteria but it doesn't look like the photo at all. Maybe just different names for different countries or incorrectly sold.
Google has it named under several common names, water sprire, lace fern, swamp fern, Indian water fern.
Shows the need to call them by their botanical names.

Dirk

Last edited:
I left mine floating and it faded away. Any tips?
For me, although this plant wants to be a floater it does better when it's planted. Once it detaches from the substrate it eventually goes down hill.
Healthy looking specimen that's got its roots firmly in the ground.
20220911_175443.jpg

20220911_182759.jpg

At the side of it is an unhealthy plant that's become detached from the substrate.
20220911_182042.jpg

20220911_182716.jpg

In an ideal world they stay rooted and reach the surface and get the best of both worlds.

Back