• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120p Shadowy Natural Mess

Djoko Sauza

20220327_202313.jpg

stunning! whats the light?
Thanks, it is a Chihiros WRGB2 90cm with a custom made wooden shade.
Beautiful! Light and shadow done to perfection!
Thank you, it is looking quite cool at the moment. You can blame nature for the beauty, I just try to provide good conditions for the plants and let them do mostly what they want. It always ends up looking decent even if in the beggining I was not happy with the hardscape and planting.
I can assure you though that the Eleocharis under the Nymphaea doesn't share your enthusiasm about shadow!

A strong light, what percentage do you run it at?
I'm running it full blast for 7 hours now that everything is grown in (95-80-100 RGB).

It was running at around 20% for a start up that lasted a very long time. Somehow all my plants were melting (including floaters which should rule out co2 issues?) so I took it really slow. I suspect some sort of bacterial or fungal infection. Really nasty stuff, plants melting from the roots up. I read an account of someone having a similar issue not long ago, has someone had this occur to them before?
When that got under control I slowly increased intensity to full while keeping an eye out for algae that luckily never showed up.

For the record I'm using straight RO water filtered through alder cones, delicious rooibos tea and peat granules; temperature is set at 26°C.

Fertilization is NPK 14:1:8 with most N coming from Urea. Very sporadically adding a pinch of calcium and magnesium if I suspect deficiencies there.

Hi Señor Sauza,
could you show off a little bit more of the wooden shade and how it is made and attached? :)
tnx in advance
1687299254617.jpeg

Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked in in a while. It's a very cheap DIY, basically a box with 4 L-shaped brackets. The construction hangs on the lamp, which may seem a bit counterintuitive but it works.

I mitered the corners and used glue instead of hardware, and then sanded the edges to a thick round shape (sanding worked because it's pine wood, if using harder wood you'd better use a router).

Back