• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MTV-Kribs

I might have panicked too soon. I was doing a water change and checking through the moss that was in the breeder net, before putting it back in the main tank, when I spotted some movement. I've only been able to find one fry but hopefully it means there will be more in the future.
Polish_20211224_180008169.jpg

Polish_20211224_182131980.jpg

Long time no update.

There have been a few successes and a few failures since my last post.
I'll try to summarise with pictures as they're supposedly worth a thousand words.

I'm please with how the rescape went. I nearly changed the name of the journal to tree ents bath time after @Wolf6 spotted a figure in the hardscape on the right of the tank. It's not as complete as I wanted as things become rushed but I can add more in time.
IMG_20220324_180311.jpg

The reason for the rush was these new additions as well as some venezuelanus. I'm overstocked but it won't be long term as a big tank is planned for the future and these are 3 months old so still small.
Polish_20220308_205216231.jpg

Rainbow breeding is where the success and failure has come in. I painstakingly picked eggs every day for a week until I had 20 fertilised eggs. 18 successfully hatched out. After a week I moved them from an in tank breeder net to a hang on breeder box and this is where the problem occured. For some reason I lost them all within a couple of hours. I think it was the slightly larger fry in there but can't be sure.
On the flip side, the success. 8 or so eggs must have been laid in plants in my holding tank and now I have 8 fry growing on. I'm trialling growing them out with moina so that they have a constant food source and I don't have to hatch out brine shrimp.
Unfortunately my male rainbow jumped out and I didn't find him until it was too late. So I'm hoping that I get a male from the fish I've bred.
Here are some pics of the fry at various stages. I think the smallest is a couple of days and the largest is about 2 months.
IMG_20220320_070250.jpg

Hi all,
On the flip side, the success. 8 or so eggs must have been laid in plants in my holding tank and now I have 8 fry growing on. I'm trialling growing them out with moina so that they have a constant food source and I don't have to hatch out brine shrimp.
Unfortunately my male rainbow jumped out and I didn't find him until it was too late. So I'm hoping that I get a male from the fish I've bred.
Bad luck, you would be statistically pretty unlucky not to get a male out of eight fry. Assuming there aren't any biases between sexes it is 2^8 (1/2 * 1/2 etc) to give you a 1 / 256 chance of getting all females (or all males).
The reason for the rush was these new additions
They look really good. Are they <"Corydoras (Ln. 9) duplicareus?">

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Bad luck, you would be statistically pretty unlucky not to get a male out of eight fry. Assuming there aren't any biases between sexes it is 2^8 (1/2 * 1/2 etc) to give you a 1 / 256 chance of getting all females (or all males).
It's still early days but there appears to be one with the markings of a male from the batch of eight. I also have two fry from an earlier spawn, one of which also has the markings of a male. It'll be nice to watch the fin extensions grow in.
They look really good. Are they <"Corydoras (Ln. 9) duplicareus?">
They are indeed. A guy about an hour from me breeds lots of corydoras. It was amazing to see all the species he's working with and his breeding setups.

Hi all,

Tell me more, I'm all ears now.

cheers Darrel
It was wall to wall corydoras. I'm no cory aficionado but I do like to breed fish and his setup was something to aspire to. He had approximately 20 tanks split between his kitchen and living room all housing various species. He had a tank in his hallway housing some eques. All were filtered by air driven sponge's. There was a very thin layer of sand in all of the tanks. There was also shrimp in all his tanks. He said they weren't an addition he'd made purposefully but I've read there are a lot of benefits of keeping shrimp with fry so it's something I've started doing. He uses RO and remineralises to a tds of 60ppm. I don't think he mentioned other values. Other than when we were talking about breeding eques, which I've read is hard and he confirmed it. From memory you need to simulate the dry season like with most corries but eques need extremes to trigger them. So you need to stop doing water changes, increase temperature, let nitrates become very high and then in his words it becomes very nerve wracking but you need to keep it like that for several months before doing a large cool water change.
One of the species he's working on at the moment is C. oiapoquensis, which will be very tempting when they are available.
He's based near Malmesbury so probably not too far from you, should you be tempted :lol:

It looks amazing! 😍

And you can hardly even see the ents now and the "huge ahhh growth" :lol:
Thanks, I was trying to create a autumnal forest floor with the crypts representing the autumn leaves. All the time I was planting it I was thinking about that ent :lol:

I also though of a comment you made somewhere about corydoras barbells. The venezuelanus have the equivalent of a handlebar mustache. When they swim through the water it trails along. Brilliant to watch. The duplicareus on the other hand are complete 🤬. They tuck their barbells in when they swim. The first few times they did it I thought their barbells had totally eroded and I panicked.

One thing that has worked well are these plant holders for the riparium plants. I made them from some stiff wire I had. They create a spring clip, so clipping it to the tank makes the holder grip the plant and when in place you don't really see them. So far they seem really secure and have the benefit of being able to move plants around easily.
How has these wire holders held up? Im thinking of getting some of this wire myself, but I thought I would check in with you first

They look like quite large eggs for a small fish. Is that the case or is it just the photo making it appear that way?
Compared to the size of the fish at the time the eggs were quite large, probably 1-2mm. The fry are quite small when they first hatch though. The food dispersing across the surface is enough to push them along with it.

How has these wire holders held up? Im thinking of getting some of this wire myself, but I thought I would check in with you first
They seem to be holding up fine. I think the wire is PVC coated so should hold up long term. It was wire that I took out of the 30amp circuit in my kitchen.
IMG_20220327_170953.jpg

After several months of being scared to breath near it, the buce 'martini' is starting to put out new leaves and change colour.
Full disclosure, I corrected the colour for the buce so it looks true to life. Not sure happened to the lagenandra at the bottom. I'd like it to look that red though.
Polish_20220327_184208282.jpg

After several months of being scared to breath near it, the buce 'martini' is starting to put out new leaves and change colour.
Full disclosure, I corrected the colour for the buce so it looks true to life. Not sure happened to the lagenandra at the bottom. I'd like it to look that red though.
View attachment 185265
looks great!

Just posted a question about this in the fish forum but posting it here too for my own record.
Just found 2 really small fry in with my Psuedomugil grow outs. They look like they're about a week old.
My adult Psuedomugils haven't been in the tank for >10weeks so not sure how these have appeared.
The juveniles in there are 6 weeks old, could they breed at that age?

Here's a pic to roughly show the size difference. Juvenile fry in bottom right is about 10mm. Fry top left circled is a probably 4mm.
IMG_20220327_204531.jpg

I've added CO² after years of back and forth on whether to do it. So this is just a note for myself really so that I can monitor CO² usage.

For anyone interested in DIY CO² I'm using the fzone sodium bicarb / citric acid reactor, with a Colombo solenoid at about 1.2 bps. I'm not targeting a specific ppm of CO² just seeing how the plants respond and keeping it well below what is safe for the fish. I won't be increasing lighting so no point turning it up to 11. I'm just aiming for steady but slightly quicker plant growth. I'll document how things go so that there's a record of how long it lasts.

The CO² is still going but getting near the end of the bottle so I'll update on that when it needs to be replaced.
In more exciting news the recent sudden change in weather triggered my kuhlis to spawn. Sadly I wasn't at home to collect eggs but I did manage to get some video of them going through the motions. Although I didn't get to collect any eggs I'm pleased it happened. My largest female (pic below) has been looking uncomfortably full of eggs for a while.
Polish_20220424_174402072.jpg

After @Hufsa mentioned her kuhli with a chin strap. I'm pleased I'm not the only one that looks for things in their Kuli loaches markings. It doesn't show how big she was but does show her little heart shape marking on her side.
Here are some terrible shots of the kuhlis spawning.
IMG0.jpg
IMG5.jpg

IMG4.jpg
IMG3.jpg
IMG6.jpg

Back