• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dither fish recommendations for SAP puffer tank.

Konsa

Hi all
I am running a well matured 100l planted tank with 3 SAP puffers,some Amanos and 4 Corries in it.
The Puffers are very scatty and peaceful in nature and was thinking to add some dither fish to help them feel a little more secure as its often they injure themselves on hardscape when get spooked.
I know that many will condemn using dither fish with puffers but I can assure you mine are calm and wont show any aggressive behaviour or nibble on other fish.
I have kept them in past with Linni minnows but they needed to be rehomed as were too boisterous and I had to increase temps considerably due to stubborn ich outbreak.
Currently tank temp is 23-24°C
Any suggestions welcome
Regards Konstantin

Hi all
atm Im thinking along the lines of the below options:
10 x Nannostomus mortenthaleri (Coral pensilfish)
10 x Hasemania nana (Silvertip tetra)
8 or 10 x Pseudomugil furcatus/mellis/ luminatus(Depending on availability near me)
8 or 10 x Cherry barbs
Of coarse the classics such as Cardinal tetra or Harlequin rasbora are option too
Haven't kept the pensilfish before so not sure how confident are they in a tank.I will hate it to add another scatty fish to the tank.
Ideally looking for a confident and peaceful species that will enjoy good flow and are a relatively active swimmers as the puffers never stop ;)
Again I am not worried about the puffers showing aggression or nible on fins as their personality is beyond peaceful
As always all thoughts are very welcome.
Regards Konstantin

My go to dithers for my SA dwarfs are pencils

Personal experience with N.Mortenthaleri is that they are a bit more aggy with each other in comparison to other pencils I've kept. They are also not worth their price tag IMO

Pretty fish no doubt but I've had wild N.Eques and N.Marginatus and some of the colouration/markings were special

Pencils are considered the dither fish, but I prefer danios myself. The hard part is getting good ones, aquarium glazer sometimes have wild and when they do, snap um up.

My go to dithers for my SA dwarfs are pencils

Personal experience with N.Mortenthaleri is that they are a bit more aggy with each other in comparison to other pencils I've kept. They are also not worth their price tag IMO

Pretty fish no doubt but I've had wild N.Eques and N.Marginatus and some of the colouration/markings were special
I should have added that I've never kept puffers so I'm not clued up on what would/wouldn't work for them

Agree with @Garuf that pencils are the go to dither but there are loads of alternatives

I kept mine in large groups (30+) and even then I found that they were their most relaxed when there was plenty of floating plants covering the surface

Hi
Thanks for your thoughts.
I only put the pensilfish on the list as saw them for sale in one of my LFS.I believe the stock they had was wild caught as the colours of them were gorgeous.
I am not in a rush to get them in quickly as still not sure if I want them in.Just wish the SAP Puffers were not as scatty and if adding more confident fish will benefit them to feel more secure at all.
Regards Konstantin

Back