• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mutiple Aroids Blooming at Once

NotoriousENG

This week two different species of anubias and one buce either flowred or started putting up flower buds. This is the first time I've had any of them bloom and though it odd that so many would flower at once.

Is there a possible environmental trigger that could have caused it? Also, is it a good thing that they are flowering or an act of preservation to do stress?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

his week two different species of anubias and one buce either flowred or started putting up flower buds. This is the first time I've had any of them bloom and though it odd that so many would flower at once.
Hi @NotoriousENG My Anubias seems to decide to flower pretty much all at once as well (usually over the course of a couple of weeks - the flowers typically last 3-4 weeks).

Is there a possible environmental trigger that could have caused it?
Perhaps it might be because you're a skilled aquarist and are providing enough fertilizer, correct light levels etc. ? ... I like that explanation myself :) ... but I don't know what triggers the blooming - I would like to know though.

Please post a picture!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
My buce and anubias flower together in the same tank (but at different times in the tank a few feet away) but I'm not sure it isn't just coincidence as it seems to happen randomly through the year. The same thing happens with the peace lillies sticking out the top of the tanks.

I currently have 2 Anubias flowers... :) And this year is the first time in 5 years it is flowering... I have no idea how or what all I know is I didn't fertilize this aquarium for over a year. That doesn't say it hasn't anything, I just don't know what it has. :) And it's not me doing it...

I have Anubias and Buce grew side by side, and they tend to flower at the same time. They belong to the same family and flowering at the same time is not a surprise, but what environmental condition triggers them to flower and why they flower at all underwater are surprise as there are no aquatic pollinating insects.

I have Anubias and Buce grew side by side, and they tend to flower at the same time. They belong to the same family and flowering at the same time is not a surprise, but what environmental condition triggers them to flower and why they flower at all underwater are surprise as there are no aquatic pollinating insects.
I have read an article by Eugene Zagnitko, he says it is due to variance in water levels, and also elevated po4 levels apparently can induce flowering, he grows rare anubias including non aquatic ones according to the article. Anubias plants for beginners and hobbyists - TopTropicals.com

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I apologize for the delayed response, life has been busy recently.

Here are some pictures!

Anubias sp. unknown
20211205_173218.jpg

Buce sp. unknown also features a very bleached leaf edged with some sort of black algae that has reared its head recently.
20211205_173241.jpg

20211205_173218.jpg

Anubias Frazeri
20211205_173222.jpg

Perhaps it might be because you're a skilled aquarist and are providing enough fertilizer, correct light levels etc. ? ... I like that explanation myself :)
I would like to think so as well but my current algae outbreak begs to differ! :dead:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I apologize for the delayed response, life has been busy recently.

Here are some pictures!

Anubias sp. unknown
View attachment 178100

Buce sp. unknown also features a very bleached leaf edged with some sort of black algae that has reared its head recently.
View attachment 178101
View attachment 178102
Anubias Frazeri
View attachment 178103

I would like to think so as well but my current algae outbreak begs to differ! :dead:
Nice. I noticed one of my Buce's are blooming too... I have to see if I can take a decent picture and post.

As for the algae outbreak... Is it only (mainly) on the hardscape? I don't see much of an issue on the plants except for a bit on that Buce.

Cheers,
Michael

Nice. I noticed one of my Buce's are blooming too... I have to see if I can take a decent picture and post.

As for the algae outbreak... Is it only (mainly) on the hardscape? I don't see much of an issue on the plants except for a bit on that Buce.

Cheers,
Michael
There is certainly a good amount of algae on the hardscape including some very interesting spot algae with a purplish color. However, that's not really a new issue and I don't mind it since it's spot/dust algae and mostly dosent affect the plants.

The newer algae that's troubling me is dark black and appears on the leaf edges or older crypt and buce leaves. It's also covers some blades of hair grass in a very thin layer. It's not fluffy looking and is truly black not gray so it seems to be something other than BBA to me. I do have small amount of BBA that pops up sometimes but seems be in recession now that I've stopped messing with my CO2 and flow levels.

The buce leaves that are affected generally seem to be declining in health and appearance while the new growth looks good. Most of the buce in the tank have only been in for about a month and some change so the older leaves are from growth in another tank which might explain the decline? However, the few buces that have been in my tank for longer are also affected, but I've struggled with getting good growth out of them since the start. They are from TC and melted completely. They are finally starting to look a bit better (I hope) and are starting to ramp up growth.

My biggest theory on the mystery black algae is the tank getting more ambient light early in the morning to due the season change. To combat I have CO2 coming on earlier in the day and have been spot testing with H202 over the past week. So far I think I seeing some improvement.

including some very interesting spot algae with a purplish color.
Freshwater Rhodophyta :) very pleasing to look at it grow if you get it on the glass, it has very nice growth rings.
The newer algae that's troubling me is dark black and appears on the leaf edges or older crypt and buce leaves. It's also covers some blades of hair grass in a very thin layer. It's not fluffy looking and is truly black not gray so it seems to be something other than BBA to me. I do have small amount of BBA that pops up sometimes but seems be in recession now that I've stopped messing with my CO2 and flow levels.
Staghorn or oedgonium?

This one managed to break the surface before it opened.
324b80dfface9f390af40301a76a9a8f.jpg

Back