• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Libba's 60P

20211103_123337.jpg
20211103_133616.jpg

Any tips for ludwigia sphaerocarpa? Mine is growing pretty fast, has reached the surface so I need to trim it again, but its not the healthiest growth (algae problem on lower leaves despite it being right next to my Co2 diffuser so it gets plenty of CO2 mist) and the leaves are mostly green rather than yellow.

Any tips for ludwigia sphaerocarpa? Mine is growing pretty fast, has reached the surface so I need to trim it again, but its not the healthiest growth (algae problem on lower leaves despite it being right next to my Co2 diffuser so it gets plenty of CO2 mist) and the leaves are mostly green rather than yellow.

High light and don't let it be shaded by other plants. Mine turned very green as soon as it was shaded by the rotalas.

High light and don't let it be shaded by other plants. Mine turned very green as soon as it was shaded by the rotalas.
Ludwigia S1.jpg

Thanks. I'm slowly edging up the light 1% at a time. My lights are set at roughly 50% and 55% respectively. I took it out today to cut the top and replant as it reached the surface. Lower leaves aren't in good shape though they are right next to the CO2 diffuser and getting the CO2 mist. pH is a stable 1.0-1.1 drop at lights on.

Is that some Fontinalis antipyretica I spot there or is it another moss? :) I love that plant, just a pain to get it to attach to something properly.

Is that some Fontinalis antipyretica I spot there or is it another moss? :) I love that plant, just a pain to get it to attach to something properly.

It sure is. I received it as a freebie so threw it in to see what it would do. It seems to be growing.

View attachment 176310

Thanks. I'm slowly edging up the light 1% at a time. My lights are set at roughly 50% and 55% respectively. I took it out today to cut the top and replant as it reached the surface. Lower leaves aren't in good shape though they are right next to the CO2 diffuser and getting the CO2 mist. pH is a stable 1.0-1.1 drop at lights on.

Yeah, I'd have thought it was a CO2 issue but it sounds like you've ruled that out. If you're sure that your CO2 and flow are both adequate then maybe more light will help as you slowly adjust it up. I'm guessing you've got nutrients covered.

Yeah, I'd have thought it was a CO2 issue but it sounds like you've ruled that out. If you're sure that your CO2 and flow are both adequate then maybe more light will help as you slowly adjust it up. I'm guessing you've got nutrients covered.
rotala.jpg

Water column wise, my dosing is decent. My aquasoil is old so I've added Ferropol root tabs and Neo root tabs next to the stems as well, will probably add more and 'surround' the stem with root tabs
I have my last surviving Rotala Florida stems right next to the Ludwigias and since they are super difficult plants for me (not for you...) and seem to be CO2 hogs, I guess they act as a 'canary in coal mine', if CO2 is no good, they will wilt much earlier than the Luwidigias :) The CO2 diffuser is in the photo , and the mist travels from right to left, towards the Ludwigia.

p.s. i've said it before, but your Rotala Floridas are totally awesome!

View attachment 176336

Water column wise, my dosing is decent. My aquasoil is old so I've added Ferropol root tabs and Neo root tabs next to the stems as well, will probably add more and 'surround' the stem with root tabs
I have my last surviving Rotala Florida stems right next to the Ludwigias and since they are super difficult plants for me (not for you...) and seem to be CO2 hogs, I guess they act as a 'canary in coal mine', if CO2 is no good, they will wilt much earlier than the Luwidigias :) The CO2 diffuser is in the photo , and the mist travels from right to left, towards the Ludwigia.

p.s. i've said it before, but your Rotala Floridas are totally awesome!

Thank you. The newer growth on yours is looking nice and healthy now too with great colour.

I think Macrandra Green is a really beautiful plant under the right conditions. I've managed to get mine to turn a really beautiful bronze/slightly pink. No post-production colour editing - this is how it looks in person. I think its my current favourite plant.

20211126_145239.jpg

The Rotala green's main job is to act as a contrast for the Floridas. :)
For thin & leafy green stem plants, I like Limnophila 'Vietnam' as it grows much slower (you probably have to trim Rotala Green every week!)

The Rotala green's main job is to act as a contrast for the Floridas. :)
For thin & leafy green stem plants, I like Limnophila 'Vietnam' as it grows much slower (you probably have to trim Rotala Green every week!)

Actually not so much because I dose so lean I think it restricts growth rate. I chose HM as the plant to background my Floridas and provide contrast because it stays such a vibrant green and can grow so nice and bushy.

Back