• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glide

Hi all,
I just discovered the freshwater red......and my tanks are always pretty high in hardness as my tap is 360ppm.
We have <"a thread">.

Personally I really like @EA James velvet cushion <"version">.

78d66420-5136-4df5-8ce8-87dce127c7bd-jpeg.jpg

cheers Darrel

A surprise hernia kept me bedbound for several days, by now I can stand and walk short distances again, although only aided by heavy painkillers.
I was holding plants in bags ready for planting this tank, and they were starting to decay... so with great pain I had to plant this up in a few minutes before collapsing again. Its done though. Now to wait for algae on the rock and wood...

20211125_105751.jpg

More and better pics will follow once my back is a bit better again. Thank god for oxycodon.
Intended stock will be shrimp, 10 white clouds and 6 or 8 sewelias. Any other relatively small fish that would enjoy a tank with higher flow? Preferably kept solo or in pairs.

One of the stiphodon gobies would make an entertaining addition. Stiphodon atropurpureus is a commonly seen one with bags of character. They are really easy to keep as well.

A surprise hernia kept me bedbound for several days, by now I can stand and walk short distances again, although only aided by heavy painkillers.
Hernia's are no joke! hope you are ok and you get it sorted soon!

Hernia's are no joke! hope you are ok and you get it sorted soon!
Yeah monday was absolute hell. Its a bit better now but still unable to do anything of use around the house. Staying positive and hoping this will pass soon!

Added a sicce nano 2000 and flow should now be fine. Can't wait to get the sewelias :)

Looks like a great setup!

I'm interested to see how that blyxa does in a smaller tank.

2 weeks in and the only visible algea this far is on the diffusor. Despite high lights and lots of ferts and a plantless start and plants that werent in great shape at planting ive yet to see more signs of algae. Still plenty of time though, I am sure they are well underway :)
Frontal shot:
20211203_152327.jpg

Top view:
20211203_152301.jpg

And behind the tall thin rocks:
20211203_152320.jpg

All plants except some mosses seem well under way. Mosses usually take a bit longer so no surprises there. The rest of the plants has regained colour and grown new leaves. First few sacrificial shrimp were added and doing fine, they are managing the heavy flow surprisingly well. Helps to have 6 legs:)

Sewelia and gobys are apparently known for climbing out of tanks over the glass. How would you go about making an open tank sewelia proof? I've got the big rock sticking out and was planning to have pogo growing out of the tank. Change my plans and make a net cover or does anyone have different ideas?

Few signs of algae showing at last. Unfortunately my hernia means no cartrips to the lfs to get the wcm. Not enough algae for the sewelia yet.

20211210_170130.jpg

20211210_170144.jpg

Today 5 sewelia were added, and an airpump for some extra oxygen and movement in the water. They didnt have more sewelia in the store, I will probably add 1 to 3 more. No pics yet as they went straight into hiding.

Tank and the sewellia look great @Wolf6

I wouldn’t feed them too much cucumber if I was you. It’s not very nutrient rich and they’re more carnivorous than you think. The sucker body and underlying mouth would indicate algae grazer but I found sewellia to be more caarnivorous in their feeding habits than say a gastromyzon which is an out and out algae grazer. Mine used to love any meaty tablet food and small frozen food however you may have to turn those flow pumps off at feeding time. Another good one is repashy which holds up well in the current and allows the sewellia to pick at it.

Cheers

That’s not to say it shouldn’t be included in their diet, a varied diet with any fish is key!

Its Courgette in this case, slightly more nutrition but not much. I've been trying to find repashy Soilent Green but its not available here in the netherlands somehow. Also trying algea Wafers but the current messes that up too so dont know how much of those they actually eat. I feed them little bits of live food too, I scatter tubifex through the tank which often get stuck on mosses etc which they can then eat, same with red mosquito larvea. I have frozen live foods too, I suppose I could try jamming those under a stone to see if that works too :)

I found a repashy alternative that they seem to like. Apply to rock, put rock in tank and remove when they are done.
20220111_165644.jpg

Full tank shot, algae coming along alright.
20220111_165658.jpg

Lurking, they dont trust my phone.
20220111_165637.jpg

Plants growing well save for the hygrophila araguaia.
20220111_165630.jpg

Back