• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inspirational wood-dominated aquascapes

These are probably my two all time fave scapes (wood or no).

This one for the sheer skill of building that piece of wood:

dc2010a.jpg

http://www.cau-aqua.net/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=29&page=view&catid=258&PageNo=1&key=0&hit=1

and then this one:

c1a278647.jpg

http://www.cau-aqua.net/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=29&page=view&catid=211&PageNo=1&key=0&hit=1

The 1st one is a beaut, but I'm not fond of the 2nd. Sure I can see why it would appeal to some, its just not my bag baby!

nayr88 said:
but I'm not fond of the 2nd. Sure I can see why it would appeal to some, its just not my bag baby!
probably one of the best examples of how to create depth in an aquarium ;) if you study it carefully you can learn a lot from it for various scapes ;)

LondonDragon said:
nayr88 said:
but I'm not fond of the 2nd. Sure I can see why it would appeal to some, its just not my bag baby!
probably one of the best examples of how to create depth in an aquarium ;) if you study it carefully you can learn a lot from it for various scapes ;)

I didn't comment on the depth, the depth is great, so is the health of the scape the plant choice is excellent I can see why people would love it but i do not..... ;)

LondonDragon said:
nayr88 said:
It's also photographed using an UWA lens to further enhance the illusion of depth.

In natural environments, beautiful feature pieces of drift and bog wood get covered by mosses stan, it depends more on where the piece of wood falls in than what it looks like, i do get your point about price and making value, but it is the individuals right to choose, after all it is their tank and they are going to be the main viewer.

In all forms of art there are artists that build their art on top of a beautiful base and partly cover it up in the process, i see nothing wrong with it.

I also think that scapes are dynamic. There are several I've seen here on UKAPS that started off with the hardscape skeleton very visible, and the scape looked fantastic. Over the course of a year, the plants grow in until the wood is completely obscured. And the scape looks very different, but still superb! So there is I suspect an element of enjoying all aspects of the journey for many people.

I think the use of wood has different purposes for different tanks, and all are valid. For some it is the featured sculptural element in and of itself, in others it's the structure that allows the plants to grow into their own sculpture, others again it's a mix. It can be a place explicitly for fish to enjoy and live amongst, or purely for the aesthetic. Maybe it is to make something naturalistic, or something fantastical. It can be simple or complex, large or small scale. Bought or found. You can show as much or as little as you'd like...it's all interesting, and all evolving as the tank develops. And if course these can all be mixed together too!

For me this is what is good in the hobby, everyone has their own particular point of view and their own ideas about the aesthetics and requirements of a tank, and sets about making it reality. It's a great way to create - to have a theory and try it out, and to work on the tanks to make them exactly for you and what you love. Then along the way end up learning so much and discovering things that are even better than what you set out to do.

It's not about what other people do with their tanks, but about what you do with yours. Slagging off people's work that isn't your taste to your friends is always great fun though no matter the subject 😂 It's also an important part of working out your own style, realising what you don't like as much as what you do like. When I was an art/design student it wasn't until I realised what I was against that I realised what I was for to counteract it and argue my own case.

In my aquariums I like massive wood that fills the tank and creatures sculptural drama, light and shadow contrast, and means that I can add plants at every height and depth, creating great habitats for my animals to live in. I like it with a good amount of plants growing on it, though still like to see some bare wood too to enhance the form. I also really love to see parts of the wood come out of the water creating this emergent zone, have that in all my tanks.

@Stan510 you should look up more blackwater tanks that have few plants so the (usually wood-based) hardscape is really on show. Often very nice, definitely a good one to try.

I'm all for a mixture of styles and I think there's a versatility in using natural wood pieces that you wouldn't get from 2x4s. It allows you to make changes, for example if you decided that you want more of it exposed than you had planned. If you decide to rescape, you might choose to show off the bottom half of the wood that was previously hidden and vice versa. You might want to do use that wood later down the line in new scapes where you do want the wood exposed, it's almost like an investment. If you've used chair legs in that instance you're a bit restricted. Also from my understanding wood like that isn't really suitable for being in water anyway. Not to mention how strange it would look before getting covered.

I personally like to keep some of my wood hardscape exposed and some covered to give an aged appearance without losing it completely. At the end of the day, aesthetically pleasing or not it is an ecosystem and ecosystems are dynamic and ever-changing. Some enjoy seeing plants gradually take hold.

The price that one pays for said wood is only really relevant to the purchaser! It didn't come out of my wallet.

I did go on a spending spree when Pets at Home had a 3 for2 on azalea wood a while ago most still in garage not used 😄 a couple of nice pieces from Aquarium Gardens and Scaped Nature. But plenty of locally sourced hawthorn ,oak , beech most lying about in garden. You dont get the gnarly look of manza but these woods look really natural.

I agree, what would be the point in spending lots of money for wood that you would only cover with moss, unless you liked the process of transition before and after. But also good "aqua scapers" know what parts of the wood they use will be showing and what will be covered by plants.

Back