• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rhinogobius zhoui fry

MirandaB

It's taken me far too long to get to this point but finally I've managed to hatch some Rhinogobius zhoui fry!
Early days but it's a good start :)
51600394134_cdc0da3db8_z.jpg

I don't know how these fish manage to reproduce in the wild,the water must be extremely clean where they come from as both the eggs and fry are very susceptible to fungus and bacteria.
What's your set-up?

I haven't even seen these fish before, but I'm assuming on the face of it that they would be a challenge to breed!

What's your set-up?

I haven't even seen these fish before, but I'm assuming on the face of it that they would be a challenge to breed!
Just a basic hillstream set up,sand substrate with cobbles and pieces of slate set up to use as caves.
High flow with plenty of oxygenation and a temperature of 21 degrees although that rises in the Summer months with ambient temps.
Most of my other Rhinogobius species are relatively easy to breed and have large clutches but these are completely the opposite....sods law as they are one of the prettiest lol

Just a basic hillstream set up,sand substrate with cobbles and pieces of slate set up to use as caves.
High flow with plenty of oxygenation and a temperature of 21 degrees although that rises in the Summer months with ambient temps.
Most of my other Rhinogobius species are relatively easy to breed and have large clutches but these are completely the opposite....sods law as they are one of the prettiest lol
Better sense of achievement I guess!

What else are you keeping? :)

What else are you keeping? :)
Various other species of Rhinogobius,Sicyopus rubicundus,Stiphodon atropurpureus and several species of hillstream loaches not all in the same tanks though :)
With rising energy costs I'll be slowly moving away from tropical and concentrating more on the cooler temperature species which to be honest I do get the most enjoyment from.

Nice selection. If I wasn’t a renter I’d have a fish room with a similar spread in a heart beat.

It’s drilled into so many of us that “tropical fish need 25c” and in my experience it just isn’t true for the majority of fish that I’ve kept.
These days I look at seriously fish and read around and if they need warmer than 20c I don’t keep them, better still if they like it a little cooler still, my room temp is 20-22 in winter tank temp is usually around 1c warmer than ambient and 26ish on the hottest summer day and I haven’t noticed any illness, stress, going off food, white spot out breaks or anything traditionally attributed to lower temps.

Nice selection. If I wasn’t a renter I’d have a fish room with a similar spread in a heart beat.

It’s drilled into so many of us that “tropical fish need 25c” and in my experience it just isn’t true for the majority of fish that I’ve kept.
These days I look at seriously fish and read around and if they need warmer than 20c I don’t keep them, better still if they like it a little cooler still, my room temp is 20-22 in winter tank temp is usually around 1c warmer than ambient and 26ish on the hottest summer day and I haven’t noticed any illness, stress, going off food, white spot out breaks or anything traditionally attributed to lower temps.
I'm hoping that lfs will begin to stock a better selection of temperate fish as there are some lovely fish out there which can easily rival tropical fish for colour.
51601257770_7517507e83_c.jpg

Hi @MirandaB

A well-deserved pat on the back or high-five from me! Out of interest, what are you feeding the fry on?

JPC :thumbup:
Thank you @jaypeecee :) on bbs,microfex and microworm.
They are pretty slow to absorb their yolk sac,took them about a week although I had them at a low temperature in the adults tank so next lot I'll up the temperature by a couple of degrees.

A bit of a mixed update on these unfortunately as for unknown reasons exactly I messed up.
A week or so after the above photos were taken I decided to move them to a small tank of their own and within 2 days lost all but 2 of them.
The tank had a mature filter and some plants added,water tests were fine but for some reason I started to lose them 😢
In desperation I put the remaining 2 back in the breeder box in the main tank and they've been fine ever since although they are quite aggressive with each other so they are going to have to go in a bigger tank soon.
They've turned out to be female which I'm fine with as extra females is never a bad thing....unless it's a livebearer lol.
As fate would have it I have hopefully managed to source some wild caught ones so I can get a proper breeding group going (if my husband asks they cost £5 each :lol:)
P1070236.JPG

Attachments

• P1070237.JPG
    P1070237.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 134
Back