• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch Donut

Can’t believe you’re going to the salty side, traitor! I’m sure whatever you come up with will be excellent though! Certainly gives me ideas…

In all fairness, dutch style (pretty much what I grew up with) never really did it for me either. Its too artificial and just seems like an expression of mans need to control everything rather then something natural. Whatever your reasons for quitting it, I get it, if your heart isnt in it. Please do share your progress on the salty side here as well! :)

Will be setting it up as a reef tank alongside the 1200. Can almost hear people shouting “traitor” already 😂

UKAPS members march to @Geoffrey Rea's house . . .

200.gif

Last edited:
In all fairness, dutch style (pretty much what I grew up with) never really did it for me either. Its too artificial and just seems like an expression of mans need to control everything rather then something natural. Whatever your reasons for quitting it, I get it, if your heart isnt in it.

Ultimately what you’ve said hits the nail on the head, it’s at the extreme end of controlled style in the hobby. You have to try these things on for size to see if they suit you or not though. Some love it and are dab hands at the Dutch style, kudos to them. Found out that personally, prefer that unexpected growth into a different area, chaotic mix, healthy jungle, competition and survival strategies playing out. The fish species here do too. Manicuring a tank relentlessly is the polar opposite of this.

Please do share your progress on the salty side here as well! :)

Will do (although I can see @Wookii is assembling the angry mob as we speak 😂)

Will be a nice mix between the freshwater AS1200, 45F shallow and terrarium alongside a saltwater reef tank and seasonal summer tub projects. Lot’s of contrasting environments to observe and learn from (and to join in the conversation about on the forum).

You asked in the UG thread @Wolf6 “is it at all entertaining for you or is it just a project/need to find out?” It’s a question that’s been sat in the background of my mind since you asked. The initial answer was crass and self centred. On reflection, remember as a kid sitting in the car for hours on end just to get to that kind shop keeper/fish breeder that used to give up hours and hours of their time to share experience and improve your chances at aquarium keeping (in a pre-internet age). It was passion driven conversation, between enthusiastic people who only stopped talking as it was time to go. Nowadays we have the internet forum and figure being on here to share any useful experience possible is a way of paying that kindness forward and serving the community.

Ultimately what you’ve said hits the nail on the head, it’s at the extreme end of controlled style in the hobby. You have to try these things on for size to see if they suit you or not though. Some love it and are dab hands at the Dutch style, kudos to them. Found out that personally, prefer that unexpected growth into a different area, chaotic mix, healthy jungle, competition and survival strategies playing out. The fish species here do too. Manicuring a tank relentlessly is the polar opposite of this.

Will do (although I can see @Wookii is assembling the angry mob as we speak )

Will be a nice mix between the freshwater AS1200, 45F shallow and terrarium alongside a saltwater reef tank and seasonal summer tub projects. Lot’s of contrasting environments to observe and learn from (and to join in the conversation about on the forum).

You asked in the UG thread @Wolf6 “is it at all entertaining for you or is it just a project/need to find out?” It’s a question that’s been sat in the background of my mind since you asked. The initial answer was crass and self centred. On reflection, remember as a kid sitting in the car for hours on end just to get to that kind shop keeper/fish breeder that used to give up hours and hours of their time to share experience and improve your chances at aquarium keeping (in a pre-internet age). It was passion driven conversation, between enthusiastic people who only stopped talking as it was time to go. Nowadays we have the internet forum and figure being on here to share any useful experience possible is a way of paying that kindness forward and serving the community.
And we all hugely appreciate your sharing , i have been busy latley and just seen this, glad your delving into the salty side as i would love to learn about that side of the hobby butwhen go on forums etc just seems so overwhelming and out of my depth. Dont get me wrong i still have so much to learn on the fresh side but salty side would he great to know the basics etc so a jurnal of some sort would be great and sure very popular and helpful for everyone keep up the good work Geoffrey

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

is that real reef rock, or what ever its called? I had Aquaroche so it took a few months to colour up

Man made rock from TMC @not called Bob

1632855987805.jpeg

Looks like it’s covered in coralline algae but will be a while before it’s coated with the real deal. Live rock seems a distant memory these days, but at least we’re into sustainable practices as the standard now.

Man made rock from TMC @not called Bob

View attachment 174825

Looks like it’s covered in coralline algae but will be a while before it’s coated with the real deal. Live rock seems a distant memory these days, but at least we’re into sustainable practices as the standard now.
I made some to go under the shop brought, took a few months in the loo tank to be sure the lime was fully washed out, so much easier just buying shapes to fit and not rummaging in the live rock vats

Very interested to see how this develops. Always had a soft spot for marine tanks but I like the green of fresh water more. And I won't think it is wise for me and my wallet to jump in to that rabithole.
Yeah, I need a new expensive hobby like a hole in the head. Sticking with freshwater, thank you very much. But damn :woot:

Back