• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Choices of apisto for moderately hard water?

I've been wondering the same thing, I haven't kept cichlids before and I'd quite like to try a pair. I've a 90x30x30 to set up and my waters about the same gh (once I've cut it 50/50 with rain/ro.

What are the different species like behaviour wise? I've got ember tetra that I'll need to temp house somewhere at some point ... too small?

Not an apisto but kribensis would be perfect for your water parameters and have very similar behaviour to apistos.
They wreck havoc in a planted tank

I just checked on her this morning and the eggs have hatched! She's swimming around with fry.

Clearly they can successfully breed in hard water. 🙂
This is very interesting. Thought these were nailed on soft water apisto
I've been wondering the same thing, I haven't kept cichlids before and I'd quite like to try a pair. I've a 90x30x30 to set up and my waters about the same gh (once I've cut it 50/50 with rain/ro.

What are the different species like behaviour wise? I've got ember tetra that I'll need to temp house somewhere at some point ... too small?
It's my first try with them Fancy something different

Just a quick update. I purchased both opal and yellow head Borellii fish. Obviously kept apart for breeding purposes. Opals yet to spawn. Lost both opal females strangely. New female doing very well which was sourced somewhere else. Will move the opals to new tank soon.
Yellow heads of which there are 3 males and one female are doing brilliantly. My lack of experience in sexing apistogramma led me to buying 3 males originally which was extremely frustrating. The first spawn the parents I believe ate them. This time I removed the male.
It appears I had about 40 plus fry to, start with, probably down to about 20.
Best news is my local store will take them off me. So excited. I didn't want anything for them just the fun of rasing them.
Apistogramma Borellii are without doubt my favourite fish I've owned to date and I've owned many species. They look lovely amongst Galaxy Rasboras. So peaceful
fish fry.jpg

Last edited:
Back