• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant is Melting? Should I remove or wait?

Aitch

Hi unfortunately I don't know what this plant is called but it seems to be not liking the tank. All other plants are fine. They've been in the tank for 4/5 days now. This one plant has new signs of growth but most of the foliage is slowly dying off.

Should I wait a few more days to see any progress or take it out? There are no fish in the tank yet. Temperature is 25 degrees
PXL_20210802_082111805.jpg

Looks like Elodea/Anacharis. Easy plant and super fast growing. I think it just needs to adjust to your water parameters

Damn I've only used 2 doses of Flourish Excel. Is it too late for the elodea or will it survive?
Can you recommend another alternative plant to the elodea that will work with liquid carbon

Damn I've only used 2 doses of Flourish Excel. Is it too late for the elodea or will it survive?
I think it should survive if you stop dosing. From top of my mind Excel dose lasts upto 24hours. But you will have to be patient and once new growth is long enough cut and replant.

Can you recommend another alternative plant to the elodea that will work with liquid carbon
Not aware of very close match. But Rotalas have some similarities. I'm sure some plant experts here will be able to advice you (y)

You could always use a different liquid carbon source that doesn’t have such strong biocidic properties, especially for this plant as noted by others, perhaps use one that is Fulvic and Humic acid based instead.

:)

Ok thanks for your help. I did put a little bit of Excel in this morning, hopefully it doesn't do too much harm. Will a deteriorating plant cause any harm to the rest of the tank?

You could always use a different liquid carbon source that doesn’t have such strong biocidic properties, especially for this plant as noted by others, perhaps use one that is Fulvic and Humic acid based instead.

Cool il have to look at an alternative. Il stop using it and monitor the plants health

ARKA Microbe-Lift Bio-CO2 is a safer alternative. Whatever you choose it just needs to be a long chain carbon molecule that doesn’t have too many undesirable properties of consequence such as altering water chemistry (pH, GH, KH) or acting as a biocide. The reduced remnants of other plant remains is what plants generally see/use in nature so Humics and Fulvics are not a poor alternative.

ARKA Microbe-Lift Bio-CO2 is a safer alternative. Whatever you choose it just needs to be a long chain carbon molecule that doesn’t have too many undesirable properties of consequence such as altering water chemistry (pH, GH, KH) or acting as a biocide. The reduced remnants of other plant remains is what plants generally see/use in nature so Humics and Fulvics are not a poor alternative.

Does the ARKA contain nutrients aswel or do I still need to add liquid ferts/tabs?

No additional macro or micro elements are added that I’m aware of, it’s neat Humic acids I believe, you still need to supply adequate macro and micro fertilisation from other sources, the Humic acid the bottle contains is reasonably good at chelating other elements so when the molecule is uptaken by plants it has beneficial bonus elements coming along with it.

Back