• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Has anyone ever seen a female Scarlet Badis?

One definitely identifiable male fry
P1050936.JPG

Hi all,

Lovely, but hopefully they won't all be male!

cheers Darrel
Hopefully not....quietly confidant that at least 2 of the other older fry are female but time will tell 🙂
The other pair don't seem to have produced any fry and I think it might possibly be down to the fact some "cull" shrimp got in there so I've removed the shrimp to see if that was the issue.

I've got 30+ grown on scarlet badis fry now that are eating all the same foods as the adults but actually they can eat much larger daphnia and moina than I expected even when they are still very small - they just keep chewing them and spitting them back out until they're compressed enough for them to swallow. They were also able to eat worms much larger than themselves from a surprisingly small size. None have begun to show colours yet other than some blue on their pectorals but even at this size I suspect there is a perceptible difference between the head shape of males and females and the largest of the fry is not much smaller now than the female was when I got her so I think they're going to start colouring up soon.
I'm still in the process of training them onto frozen foods, some of them readily ate frozen copepods the very first time they were offered but others seem to take a bite and then spit it straight out. I'm going to try and get them feeding on decapsulated brine shrimp eggs as a non motile foodstuff that they will hopefully still recognize as food once it's in their mouth and then ultimately golden pearls.
I didn't expect to have this many, I thought it would be harder to raise them through their truly tiny phase and that the adults would eat some but in fact the ones I seperated from the adults into their own tank grew much more slowly than the rest and I've never seen the adults show any interest in eating them even when they would easily have fit in their mouths.
If anyone wants some free CB scarlet badis get in touch! I counted 30+ at once in the open today and it would seem silly not to assume that there are more hiding in the moss and plants 😅

Hi

Nice to see some other D.dario keepers!!

I have a group of Dario sp. Myanmar, and a group of Dario Dario, both groups have females in :)

I actually bought some of the female dario's from TropCo, although they were very small when they arrived, they were healthy and took to feeding straight away. They are out of Q'tine now and in with the rest of the pack, still a lot smaller than the adults but getting there!

My Dario sp. Myanmar are breeding, its very hard to see small fry in my tanks, there is a lot of debris on the substrate, many hiding holes and a lot of plants, but I did manage to get some shots of one little fry dude I snuck up on!

I'll add some pics once I have got them off the phone and onto the PC

If anyone wants some free CB scarlet badis get in touch! I counted 30+ at once in the open today and it would seem silly not to assume that there are more hiding in the moss and plants 😅

Well done Louis! Do you still have any looking for new homes? My current group have come from 2 sources, but I'd be interested in adding potential new bloodlines in if you have any left :)

Thanks

Nerys

Some of the Dario dario

Attachments

• Dario dario 001.jpg
    Dario dario 001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 145
  • Dario dario 002.jpg
    Dario dario 002.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 179
  • Dario dario 003.jpg
    Dario dario 003.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 145
  • Dario Dario 004.jpg
    Dario Dario 004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
  • Dario Dario 005.jpg
    Dario Dario 005.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 143
  • Dario Dario 006.jpg
    Dario Dario 006.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • Dario Dario 007.jpg
    Dario Dario 007.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 151
  • Dario dario 009.jpg
    Dario dario 009.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
  • Dario Dario 010.jpg
    Dario Dario 010.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
  • Dario dario 011.jpg
    Dario dario 011.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 151
Is it Dario breeding time? I managed to pick up a group of Dario dario including two females about 6 weeks ago and let them loose i my 250l tank, I've seen the dominant male mate multiple time with one or both the females but today whilst the filters were off at feeding time I was delighted to see one tiny baby. I was then thinking if he/she could survive its 5mm max so hopefully too big now to be eaten by any of the other inhabitants so finger crossed they'll make it to adulthood and that a few more will appear.

DSC_0056.jpg DSC_0055.jpg

Hi,

I know this forum is mostly for Uk residents, but I have a hard time finding these here in Canada (been looking for over eleven years now, time sure flies!) If somebody would be so kind, and ship a bunch of females here!

Hi,

I know this forum is mostly for Uk residents, but I have a hard time finding these here in Canada (been looking for over eleven years now, time sure flies!) If somebody would be so kind, and ship a bunch of females here!
I eventually managed to find a single female in a fresh batch of imports and have since had a lot of success breeding these - I'm literally giving them away for free so consider moving to Scotland.
Here's a video of some of mine just for reference in your hunt for females. It's useful to see them compared to the males in order to avoid accidentally buying sub dominant males. Once you know what you're looking for it's actually pretty easy to tell them apart.

Thanks for sharing Louis. Lovely! Any plans on visiting the Netherlands?

I was wondering if you have ever noticed a different sex ratio in offspring due to temperature differences (or another factor).

I breed Dario tigris myself. Here's a small group of juveniles in one of my tanks.

Last edited:
I eventually managed to find a single female in a fresh batch of imports and have since had a lot of success breeding these - I'm literally giving them away for free so consider moving to Scotland.
Here's a video of some of mine just for reference in your hunt for females. It's useful to see them compared to the males in order to avoid accidentally buying sub dominant males. Once you know what you're looking for it's actually pretty easy to tell them apart.

Wooow. How much can I pay you for you to consider shipping some of your babies over there??

I've been pretty unlucky so far... I've bought 200 of them but had to resell them all cause they were ALL males.

Thanks for sharing Louis. Lovely! Any plans on visiting the Netherlands?

I was wondering if you have ever noticed a different sex ratio in offspring due to temperature differences (or another factor).

I breed Dario tigris myself. Here's a small group of juveniles in one of my tanks.

They're so cute! Are Tigris and Black Tiger the same? I've actually got a few, also all males. They're beautiful little guys.

Attachments

• 20221231_124739.jpg
    20221231_124739.jpg
    998.5 KB · Views: 72
Back