• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trigon 350L - Triumph or trouble...??

I have not managed to get any plants ordered, as my day got away from me, and I am also struggling to find anywhere with stock showing of C. Crispulata/Balansae. Will dig a little deeper this evening, but will perhaps order at the weekend so they arrive early next week hopefully.

Cheers
G!

I have not managed to get any plants ordered, as my day got away from me, and I am also struggling to find anywhere with stock showing of C. Crispulata/Balansae. Will dig a little deeper this evening, but will perhaps order at the weekend so they arrive early next week hopefully.

Cheers
G!
I'd you got any time spare try calling some of the shops. They sometimes have things that are not listed as in stock, or a shipment is coming in which they can ship straight away to you. Demand is high so some things never make it to the website in order to fulfill pre orders.

So a pre weekend update. The new crypts seem to be settling in nicely. Expected more melting than I have seen, and only one leaf has just come off just now...

IMG_20210430_202616.jpg

If anyone can confirm any of them, please let me know? Three at the left side appear to be three different species.... Think the closest one in the pic could be C. Wendtii?

IMG_20210429_141612.jpg

Think this one is C. Wendtii......

IMG_20210429_141632.jpg

Then this is a small amount that separated from one of the others....

IMG_20210429_141641.jpg

Hoping to get some more plants ordered over the weekend and hopefully delivered early next week?

Cheers
G!

So, seems I got excited about the Crypts too soon, and sure enough, some have melted... Three are pretty much just a pile of mush now (at least two different types) and the other two are showing signs of melting... All to be expected in their new environment I guess..? We'll see if they make it through the transition?! Will remove the debris left over tomorrow, and keep an eye out for new life rising from the ashes!

Managed to get some other Crypts including C.Nevelli, C. Petchii, C. Walkeri and C. Amicorum which I planted yesterday. They looked much stronger and better plants in general, though one or two leaves have already melted on those too. Anyway, I'll leave those be for now! After a weekend running up and down the M1, other than these Crypts, I managed to get the last two Tropica Gro pots from my local useless place that shall remain nameless. So I can now cross H. Zolsterifolia off the list. The rest I will now have to order online tonight. Should have done it Saturday, as some are already out of stock!

I also managed to remove the piece of wood I was unhappy with and replace it with a nice big piece! Pics to follow!

Having seen so many other 'aquascapes' that look like perfection, I was feeling quite down about the lack of imagination that my setup is taking, and the frustration trying to find decor that will work in my setup, but I have to keep reminding myself that I am primarily building a community tank with specific fish in mind FIRST, and the decor has to fit in with that, but I am learning....

More to follow....

Cheers
G!

So a quick pic of the one corner with some of the newer Crypts in and the new piece of wood. Despite several days of soaking before going into the tank, the Tannins are still leaching quickly, but water changes will take care of that....

IMG_20210504_152134.jpg

So the Crypts are a mix of C.Nevelli and C. Amicorum, and a C.Petchii behind which has rather rapidly dissolved. The C.Wendtii at the front left has also almost melted, and was one of the first that went in last week. Its done better than the others though (not pictured).

All in all, assuming the Crypts make it, I am happy with the new additions. Rest of the plants should hopefully be here by the weekend, so will get busily into planting then if so....

Cheers
G!

C.Petchii behind which has rather rapidly dissolved. The C.Wendtii at the front left has also almost melted, and was one of the first that went in last week. Its done better than the others though (not pictured).
knowing next to nothing about the plants I was about to commit to my tank, i looked them all up on the youtubes , mostly on tropica's channel but a video by Jurijs Jutjajevs from tropica's greenhouse popped up and he advised chopping off the emersed leaves (except for C. Parva) so I did with the wendtii I got first and the other 3 types (Petchii, Nevelli, and a mystery one) I have in my new cube -and it works , the only leafage I've lost was the odd stray emersed leaf, and the immersed ones sprouted up really quickly to replace them , the ones I planted 6 weeks ago look like they've been there forever, they look like nothing for a week, then the leaves start coming

knowing next to nothing about the plants I was about to commit to my tank, i looked them all up on the youtubes , mostly on tropica's channel but a video by Jurijs Jutjajevs from tropica's greenhouse popped up and he advised chopping off the emersed leaves (except for C. Parva) so I did with the wendtii I got first and the other 3 types (Petchii, Nevelli, and a mystery one) I have in my new cube -and it works , the only leafage I've lost was the odd stray emersed leaf, and the immersed ones sprouted up really quickly to replace them , the ones I planted 6 weeks ago look like they've been there forever, they look like nothing for a week, then the leaves start coming
You're a braver man than I to attempt it. I know it works in theory but I can't bring myself to do it lol. Somehow though I tend to only lose 1 or 2 leaves when moving Cryptocorynes at most.

You're a braver man than I to attempt it. I know it works in theory but I can't bring myself to do it lol. Somehow though I tend to only lose 1 or 2 leaves when moving Cryptocorynes at most
not as brave as Jurijs , I cut well above the rosette , though it's the same as with any herbaceous plant that springs from a base rosette, chop off old growth to bring new leaves, do it all the time on my hardy geraniums and they thrive on it , was a bit nervous about the whole underwater thing though

So been a crazy busy time, so struggled to get some pics up... Managed to get the tank mostly planted out, and some evidence of growth is happening...
Right side of tank with some nice Buce's (Mostly Kedagang on this side)...

IMG_20210511_145527.jpg

Then the left side with some more Buce's (Dark, Theia and another I can't remember right now? Thanks Hoggie!)....

IMG_20210511_150620.jpg

Back has an Echinodurus Ozelot Red 'Leopard', but what arrived was in terrible condition, including the central sprout, so only the two large leaves are left. I planted it anyway, but expect it won't survive, however, the place I got it from replaced it with no issues, so there is an Ozelot Red (not Leopard) behind that, which was in stunning condition on arrival albeit smaller (not sure if you can make it out? I'll get some background pics again). Then various different bits and bobs in little groupings around that, then moving into Crypt. Balansae/Crispatula on the right and Heteranthera Zosterifolia and Lindernia rotundifolia on the left. The original crypts and a C. Costata make up the midground and some Pogostemon helferi in little groupings around the foreground.

We'll see how it all develops?! Looking it starting to grow out. I may yet add something to the mid centre to give some more shelter? Have to say that a corner tank is a lot harder to plan out and make look cool while achieving the goal than a 'Long' tank.

Cheers!
G!

Last edited:
I know the struggling feeling, I have a Juwel Lido 200 and have found it difficult compared to a 3ft or 4ft standard normal tank, curves would be even trickier! Stick at it though, it looks good 👍

SO, bit of an update... Some things are growing well, others not so well...

Had a huge explosion of brown thread algae, which I have hopefully now got under control, though despite thoroughly removing as much as I can, there are still pockets of it around.

Tank May 21.jpg

My cycle had completed and stabilised for a good few days, so have now added a few fish too... Emperor tetra... Such interesting fellas! Also a couple of Normans Lampeyes in there which were very small (can't get pics of those as they shoot off very quickly).

Emperor.jpg

So one thing that is a bit frustrating, the H. Zosterifolia was labelled as a background plant, though seems to stay around the 6" mark, which in this tank would have been better for the midground. Will be trimming some of it in the next water change or so, so may try plant some of that further forward, then add something to the back left side of the tank in its place, but I will have to leave it for a few days, as my Emperors may have been spawning in them the past day or two?!

Cheers!
G!

Back