• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tidy Jungle II, III and IV

Sounds like a solid plan @alto

I did something very similar. A lot of advice seems to suggest daily water changes in the first week etc etc but I'm pretty sure these are often aimed at new setups and with CO2. So I'm thinking a few more frequent water changes than normal whilst everything settles in but daily will probably be excessive. Considering it's using mature filters, some plants from the old scape and is low energy.

I got incredibly lucky that my Angelfish I've had for around 8 years now is completely indifferent to any fish or shrimp. She wouldn't know the word territorial if it bit her on the tail. I've got some more Amano shrimp on order, and hoping to get to my LFS possibly this week to get some more buddies.

I added 34 Amano shrimp to the tank and I'm giving them some time to settle in before I add anything else.

I've ordered some Eleocharis Acicularis, not for carpeting but just to add some detailing to the foreground. I like that blended look of different foreground plants. Also ordered some Hydrocotyle Tripartita for more detail in the midground. I'm trying to have many different shapes, textures and shades and sizes for full on tidy jungle vibes. I'm hoping to let the Hydrocotyle Tripartita grow long and wrap around the Manzanita branches.

I also don't mind the tannins, I quite like it.

4ea04d3ab15ac336f72407bddecf13fd.jpg

I added 10 Rummynose Tetra to the aquarium today and already they've settled in quite well considering.

All brightly coloured and already feeding voraciously. I hope they all stay alive! Planning to get 10 more eventually to make them feel even more secure.

I wanted to get a dwarf cichlid (Rams or Apistos), do you think it could work? I've had cockatoos and Bolivian rams before but never with Rummynose.

66d8c4d688cdc119e96db95614e24650.jpg

I added 10 Rummynose Tetra to the aquarium today and already they've settled in quite well considering.

All brightly coloured and already feeding voraciously. I hope they all stay alive! Planning to get 10 more eventually to make them feel even more secure.

I wanted to get a dwarf cichlid (Rams or Apistos), do you think it could work? I've had cockatoos and Bolivian rams before but never with Rummynose.

66d8c4d688cdc119e96db95614e24650.jpg
I have apistogramma with rummy nose get on fine, if they both the female she sees them off but get on well

View attachment 164165stunning addition for colour as well

Thanks Earl! Yours look stunning.

Do you keep any Amano shrimp with them too? I saw some Apistos at the shop today and totally forgot that you usually buy them small and they're probably the same size as my amanos. Forgive me, it's been about a year lol.

It's one week since the setup and I've started dosing as I can see the majority of the plants putting out some sort of growth, be it leaves or roots. I'm testing out 1/10th EI so 20ml macros (without nitrogen) and 20ml micros.

Also added my beloved Angelfish. As per my predictions, she has little interest in the juvenile Rummynose Tetras or the Amano Shrimp. At first she thought they were food and drifted towards them but never followed through, and now she's completely indifferent. This is the best possible outcome tbh!

fd4530f8cca49c87eee2d7af26fd3377.jpg

It's one week since the setup and I've started dosing as I can see the majority of the plants putting out some sort of growth, be it leaves or roots. I'm testing out 1/10th EI so 20ml macros (without nitrogen) and 20ml micros.

Also added my beloved Angelfish. As per my predictions, she has little interest in the juvenile Rummynose Tetras or the Amano Shrimp. At first she thought they were food and drifted towards them but never followed through, and now she's completely indifferent. This is the best possible outcome tbh!

Lovely photo that is! Somehow enchanting!

One of my favourite fish! Next tank I have it’ll be big enough for a few of them!

Scapes looking great! Look forward to seeing it grow in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my favourite fish! Next tank I have it’ll be big enough for a few of them!

Scapes looking great! Look forward to seeing it grow in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tucker,

They're quite majestic and this one follows me everywhere when I'm in the room. I used to have 4 - this one paired up with a white one and so I had to literally divide the tank in half so the male didn't kill the others (he would have hunted the Rummynose and shrimp for sure. He once ate 8 Cardinal tetras overnight!).

e8f3810eaf1489dc2468973acdbca26b.jpg

Got some sweet tools from Aquarium Plant Food UK and I have to say it's great to plant things and have them not get yanked out immediately! The finger holes on the scissors are also rounded instead of flat so they don't dig into your skin. Pretty good value too, £25 for everything pictured.

Removed most of the pearlweed and replaced it with Hydrocotyle Tripartita since it was clearly struggling. Also added Dwarf Hairgrass and more detail stones to the foreground. Weirdly, I must be the only person in this forum who is hoping it doesn't spread, I just like the little tufts.

c4f33db21488899fce1e9f89bfdbabb3.jpg

Last edited:
Back