• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tap water or Rain water??

Here also thinking to get a rain barrel in the garden (after the other one broke/cracked because of the sun etc :p few years ago ) or get a RO system......
But still not sure what to do or if it will collect enough rain to do the weekly water changes etc.
RO is always so slow and lots of waste water.

if it will collect enough rain to do the weekly water changes etc.
rainwater users are OK with the runoff
Most weathered roofs are fine. A bit of bird poo is of no concern. Keep an eye out for slugs ( had an issue once, solved with a self adhesive cooper foil band around water butt and a circle of anti fouling paint.

I mix approx 50:50 rainwater to tap water (tap water moderately soft) never ran out of rain water in the west of the UK. (have three barrels in reserve but only ever used one of them)

Hope this is of some help. (never had pH crashes & I don't add buffers)

Ordered a barrel today (was on sale :) ) and will put it on a different location as before. This time in the shadow part of the garden.
Plan is to use a old pond pump which i now use inside a bucket in the sink to refill the tank.
But in the barrel i can put some fine filtering on the pump so it will collect large slug/muck etc.

Now i only need to wait for the order and rain..... :p

Used the rainwater for the first time today with a water change.
Only used 60 liters (see this post for more info Rainwater confussion )

What i noticed was that the rainwater has a little bit of a white haze in it when filling the tank/jerrycans. It wouldn't of course not be as clear as tap water. But something to do about this? Over some time/hours the filter will take it out i think, but it doesn't look that fresh when viewing the tank :p

Used the rainwater for the first time today with a water change.
Only used 60 liters (see this post for more info Rainwater confussion )

What i noticed was that the rainwater has a little bit of a white haze in it when filling the tank/jerrycans. It wouldn't of course not be as clear as tap water. But something to do about this? Over some time/hours the filter will take it out i think, but it doesn't look that fresh when viewing the tank :p
Bacterial bloom in your new rainwater butt?

Bacterial bloom in your new rainwater butt?
Could be. At least the only thing I can come up with :p
Yesterday added some extra filter floss on the intake (it was sunny outside so nice to be in the garden instead of inside :p )
Also flushed the barrel to get the bottom clean (some leftovers of the roof that came of during the heavy snow and was laying in the gutter.
Still need to add a leaf guard at the top of the rain pipe. But covid/closed stores......... They cost 1 euro but minimal cost to get a collect/pickup option is 25 euro -_- (and i only need 1 :p )

The filter socks are working (bought a 6pack of them with 100micron) :cool:
1615477953686.png

Back