• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for very fine roots/branches . . .

Hi all,
Vetiver grass is used in some places to help remove pollutants and excess nutrients in water treatment
It is, a quick search for "Vetiveria zizanioides" and "phytoremediation" on <"Google Scholar would pull up lots of papers">. One reason it has been used is that it is "luxury absorber" and <"can be used for phyto-extraction">.
so I'm assuming these dried roots would be aquarium safe.
That would be a little bit open to question, it would really depend on how the plant was grown.

I'm going to guess hydroponically in diluted waste water. How much the roots accumulated in terms of heavy metals etc. would depend on the waste, but if it was diluted pig slurry, for example, they may have picked up a lot of copper (Cu) etc.

I'd probably give it a miss, but that possibly is over-cautious.

cheers Darrel

That would be a little bit open to question, it would really depend on how the plant was grown.

I'm going to guess hydroponically in diluted waste water. How much the roots accumulated in terms of heavy metals etc. would depend on the waste, but if it was diluted pig slurry, for example, they may have picked up a lot of copper (Cu) etc.

I'd probably give it a miss, but that possibly is over-cautious.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel - these are being sold on Amazon for human consumption as a herbal remedy by infusion - I'm not sure if that changes your assessment? It's only text (so could be complete BS) but from the listing:

• 100% natural Vetiver Roots, dried and cleaned naturally without chemicals and sourced directly from producers in India, to ensure local communities are supported; Our Vetiver (Khus) Roots are suitable for Vegans and Vegetarians; free from Animal Testing and from Fillers and Binders;Gluten;Wheat;Lactose;Yeast;Sugars;Preservatives;Artificial Colouring

Doesn't mean it wasn't still grown in pigs#@t in India I guess 😂 - would boiling a re-drying remove excess copper if it did contain any?

Hi all,

Yes, it does totally safe.

They probably wont last very long in the tank was another thought.

No.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel - yes, longevity was a concern with all these options too.

Any thoughts on those Alder sampling roots I posted further up? (Post #33)

Hi all,

The roots would last longer, and @Dorey's palm flower longer again.

Thinking about the bare root Alder, the easiest option may be a growing plant? With its roots in front of the hardscape? <"Cyperus alternifolius"> would have the right sort of roots.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, I would intend on having some emersed growth within this design, and hopefully some naturally occuring roots would feature, but in terms of disguising the look on my muddied river bank (How to create a muddied river bank . . .) I'd like some dried version that I can add manually to start with.

Many thanks to @Hufsa foe very kindly sending me these roots, they look great. I will probabaly need to source some more, but these give me a fantastic start! Thanks again mate 👍

6C53F52F-BDD1-477E-8945-45502142BA92.jpeg

PS - that’s not weed in the bag!! 😂

Back