• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to planted tanks.

1613166365078.jpeg

This is my first major dabble at a planted tank. The tank is only about 7 weeks old and the plants have been in the tank for about 5 weeks. I’m still learning and having to deal with thinks like biofilm and algae on the gravel. Since the photo I have added dwarf hairgrass to the front left of the tank. The substrate is flora pro with gravel on top. Im going to try find some red coloured rocks and replace the ones in the tank with bigger ones. The next stage is learning about co2 and possibly increasing the lighting. what’s the best beginners co2 option. I was looking at diy or fire extinguisher .

what’s the best beginners co2 option. I was looking at diy or fire extinguisher

fire extinguisher all the way - for CO2 to work well it needs to be stable, using DIY CO2/yeast is is very hard to get a the CO2 stable.

Nice start BTW, I would increase the height of the spray bar (if you can) so you get the maximum surface agitation, that will increase the 'free' CO2' uptake in the tank whilst not injecting CO2.

Nice start BTW, I would increase the height of the spray bar (if you can) so you get the maximum surface agitation, that will increase the 'free' CO2' uptake in the tank whilst not injecting CO2.
I didn't even realise that made a difference. I'll see what I can do. I too have the water flow facing up at a 45 Deg angle so there is surface agitation but I'll try change it. I am going to add a better air pump with multiple outlets so I can have various air stone options. The DIY co2 was the citric acid, bicarbonate option. It's that just as unstable.

The DIY co2 was the citric acid, bicarbonate option. It's that just as unstable.
Well it will be temp and concentration dependant as well, CO2 can/is tricky to get right with a cylinder so relaying on a chemical or yeast reaction is just asking for trouble IMO, maximising the surface agitation better/issue free option

Back