• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Led lights?

Scoops111

Hi all, brand new to the forum which looks really well set out by the way!
I’m looking for some advice regarding some maxspect razor LED’s that I used years ago which were fantastic on my reef tank, my question is, will they work well on a new freshwater aquascape instead of me needing to buy new LED’s.
Any information much appreciated 👍🏻

If it has white coloured light spectrum it will grow plants... :) And when you like the colour then just give it a go... You can always buy a new light if it doesn't meet expectations. I've grown plants in the past under 10000K light colour. Anything higher I'm not sure it might be to blue and simply not looking very attractive.

thanks for replying, I remember when the lights were on my reef tank they were on 100% and really bright, do you think it would be best to start at 50% and take it up from there? With a 6hr period?

No idea... :) It depends on the intensity and size of the tank... Tall tanks need more light intensity than less tall tanks.

Trail and error.

I can tell you upfront above the green and maybe red coloured plants this will look rather unattractive...
Just give it a go with placing some smaller houseplants under the light and see... That will look fairly the same as if it was above a flooded aquarium. Then decide for yourself. After it's you who has to look at it...

The razor lets you tune the colour buy reducing the intensity of the white and blue/red/green leds, running the whites at a higher % will give you a more yellow (lower K) looking light which tends to look better on planted tanks.

I would start with only the whites on, then slowly add blue until you are happy with the look, the plants won't care one bit so whatever looks good to you,

razor-led-layout.jpg

Channel A is probably all you will use and that will still be a bit err "blue".
maxfw.JPG

Attachments

• max5.JPG
    max5.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
The razor lets you tune the colour buy reducing the intensity of the white and blue/red/green leds, running the whites at a higher % will give you a more yellow (lower K) looking light which tends to look better on planted tanks.

I would start with only the whites on, then slowly add blue until you are happy with the look, the plants won't care one bit so whatever looks good to you,
Think you are considering the wrong model.. see above. And if I'm correct there is NO way to get to 8000k. Not even close.

Last edited:
Think you are considering the wrong model.. see above. And if I'm correct there is NO way to get to 8000k. Not even close.
Maybe not 8000k exactly, but all you need to do is mix the blues and whites to achieve a good colour spectrum, this is all that the K of light is anyway (a bit simplified)

Maybe not 8000k exactly, but all you need to do is mix the blues and whites to achieve a good colour spectrum, this is all that the K of light is anyway (a bit simplified)
But you can't. There is too much blue in the white channel.. 1/3 royal blue, lot of blue in the 8000k but at least some red w/ the 3000k.

ONLY ch1.. best guess..
max4.JPG

max5.JPG

10000k version would work.. not the o/p's..
Well "work" is relative.
In all fairness est. of record-able spectrum isn't always what one "sees"..

See for yourself.

Last edited:
But you can't. There is too much blue in the white channel.. 1/3 royal blue, lot of blue in the 8000k but at least some red w/ the 3000k.

ONLY ch1.. best guess..
View attachment 162648
View attachment 162650

10000k version would work.. not the o/p's..
Well "work" is relative.
In all fairness est. of record-able spectrum isn't always what one "sees"..

See for yourself.

You can tun the blues down as much as needed (or off if you wish, and just use the white leds which are a mix of 8k and 3k diodes.[/url]

Back