• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for very fine roots/branches . . .

Wookii

Hey guys,

I'm trying to source some fine root structure hardscape branches, the sort of very fine branching you would see as roots coming out of a river bank. The branching needs to be a lot finer than the usual spiderwood type branches. The closest representative image I can find is for these custom aquarium backgrounds you can buy:

1611233832878.png

I'm sure I've read that dried heather roots are like this, but I can't seem to find anything online.

Does anyone have any ideas or sources for something like this?

Calluna vulgaris, heather...
There should be some moorland near you. Best to just pick up the dead bits that aren't attached anymore, they are more suitable and won't cause damage.
Beware of bylaws and damaging operations forbidding the removal of material from private land and nature reserves.

Calluna vulgaris, heather...
There should be some moorland near you. Best to just pick up the dead bits that aren't attached anymore, they are more suitable and won't cause damage.
Beware of bylaws and damaging operations forbidding the removal of material from private land and nature reserves.

Thanks Tim. I'm not sure of where the nearest open Moorland is to us, I'll have to look that up - maybe in the Peak District.

I'm surprised it's available commercially, unless I'm looking under the wrong search terms.

Just found these that might be an option too. Senggani roots:

c08a6b6d461d4f98d1151d25754447d2.jpg

Unfortunately I can't see any available in the UK.

not sure if these would be any good?

not sure if these would be any good?
Thanks Conor

Some of their "Ramous wood" wood pieces look like they might be suitable too, though a little less 'rooty' than I was looking for.

Last edited:
Saw some at ADG in America, but again not uk.

Aquarium Design Group

Closest i have seen for sale is the ancient wood at riverwood

Yeah, it looks like it might work - but it's a little hard to tell with the only image being a bundle of it - I'm not sure what it'll look like once fanned out. Has you used the stuff?

This sort of thing?

I did see that earlier today - I’ve literally worn eBay thin with searching - it’s no really the fine root look I’m looking for.

I’m looking to simulate terrestrial roots growing down from the bank into the water.

^ I love the entrepreneurial spirit. Looks like they killed a bonsai and saw a opportunity to still make some cash.

Op do you have any shrubs? You might have one that's got good safe roots that you can use if you don't mind sacrificing part of it. I've seen people use azaleas for a similar affect.

If its submerged roots, do you have any rivers near you? You could see if some alder or similar tree could donate some clippings from roots bursting through the banks.

Unless you want the challenge of creating it yourself that custom background look good.

Ive got some of these very fine roots in my storage that I probably wont use, they are from a native hardwood tree that had fallen over one stormy night. Shipping might be a little bit costly from Norway but if you want them they're yours. I can take some pics of them if youre interested. They still have a lot of the very fine stuff attached so might need some trimming

Aquaflora scaping twigs?

You can see these in Filipe Oliveira videos, if AG is still selling Aquaflora plants, they should be able to order these in as well

^ I love the entrepreneurial spirit. Looks like they killed a bonsai and saw a opportunity to still make some cash.

Op do you have any shrubs? You might have one that's got good safe roots that you can use if you don't mind sacrificing part of it. I've seen people use azaleas for a similar affect.

We don’t have a great deal of plants and bushes in our garden - it’s set up a very minimal maintenance affair - the only candidate might be couple of Lavender bushes, though I don’t know if they are suitable for aquarium use? I obviously want to avoid anything that’s just going to rot.

If its submerged roots, do you have any rivers near you? You could see if some alder or similar tree could donate some clippings from roots bursting through the banks.

We do have several rivers near by, that’s a good idea. I’ll have to work on my tree ID skills however. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back