• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best way to clean autodoser/lines?

Sammy Islam

Hey people, hope all is well.

I've been using my autodoser for a year or so and would like to clean it some how. It works fine but i'm sure over time there are deposits left by the salts in the lines.

What the best way to clean them out? I was thinking maybe some citric acid solution or vinegar, leave it in the lines for an hour or two and rinse through after. I have lots of citric acid so i'm leaning towards trying that.

I remove the tubing and submerse it in the sink/bucket of hot water. The deposit will be salts so I figure the hot water should dissolve them. Mine haven't really been dirty enough to need anything other than warm water.

They aren't dirty but i was thinking to give them a "service", mainly to clean the the two tubes from the doser itself rather than the lines. I don't want to remove the lines are they are cable tied on and don't want to do anything fiddly. So was thinking to run some sort of safe cleaning solution through.

I'll try some hot water through it and see if anything comes out, might try the citric acid too.

run some sort of safe cleaning solution through.

White vinegar could be an option, but don't let it run all into the aquarium with flushing the tubes. Let it run back into a canister.. Spilling small quantities is absolutely harmless... Some people daily add a few ml of vinegar to the aquarium because it's beneficial to plant growth.

White vinegar could be an option, but don't let it run all into the aquarium with flushing the tubes. Let it run back into a canister.. Spilling small quantities is absolutely harmless... Some people daily add a few ml of vinegar to the aquarium because it's beneficial to plant growth.
I flush mine with with water and cheap bleach every so often, run a good litre through them, then litre of tap water, then litre of tap water with capful of prime
Cool i will give it a go. Do you soak the lines at all? As in let the solution sit in the lines for a while before doing the flushing through.

Do you soak the lines at all? As in let the solution sit in the lines for a while before doing the flushing through.

well it takes some time (hours) to all go though, and have the tank end of tubing in 5litre tube, in fact it may be even more then 1 litre I flush them with sometimes, tend to do it over night.

well it takes some time (hours) to all go though, and have the tank end of tubing in 5litre tube, in fact it may be even more then 1 litre I flush them with sometimes, tend to do it over night.
Fair enough, i'll flush it with some hot water to start with, hot tap water rather than boiled and cooled? maybe make up some citric acid solution as that's what i have, not sure if i have white vinegar. Not sure how long it would take to pump a litre, probably not that long. Be good to see if it improves the flow rate as i can calibrate it after to gage.

I pull a water and white vinegar solution through mine, enough so that I know its in all The pipes and pump, leave it for half hour or so then flush out with clean water and a dose of prime.

Back