• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High amount of silicate in tap water

1609272717243.png

Although TNC is one of the better AIO ferts for value for money, if you after increasing your Mg and Fe going down the double triple dosing route TNC soon becomes costly for the few extra nutrients plus it will not address the Fe EDDHA either.

For the Mg to hit 5ppm a week for 200l

1609276838076.png

So just dry dose two teaspoons of Epsom salts (MgSO4.7H2O) after WC and that will yield the extra 5ppm Mg

For the Fe EDDHA I would keep it simple, buy 10-50grams, add it to 1litre of water and just dose your tank a few drops every day, when the water turns the slightest pink you have added enough as the the Fe EDDHA will be in excess. Your first dose you might wont to add it in 1.0ml doses till you see the slightest change in colour, if your plants use up the Fe EDDHA the colour change will go. I use it with the slightest colour change of water, which is best done looking down the length of the tank.

Hi all,

Phosphorus (orthophosphate, the PO4--- ion) is <"easy to remove from solution">, because most phosphorus compounds <"are insoluble">.

Probably not, but there is no real way of knowing, companies are <"pretty unscrupulous about what they say in their advertising material">. Phosphorus (P) is a nutrient that <"plants need in large amounts">, so if you remove all of it from solution then you won't get any plant growth.

I'd probably add <"Epsom Salts" (MgSO4.7H2O)> separately, along with an iron chelate more suitable for harder water <"like FeEDDHA">. If you did want to add "TNC Complete" 125mL in 200 litres would add 5ppm Mg and 0.5 ppm Fe.

@Zeus. will be able to tell you the relative costs <"of the different options">.

cheers Darrel
Sorry, 125ml of TNC in 200lrs weekly? Plus the 5ppm Mg and 0.5 ppm Fe?

Hi all,
125ml of TNC in 200lrs weekly? Plus the 5ppm Mg and 0.5 ppm Fe?
So just dry dose two teaspoons of Epsom salts (MgSO4.7H2O) after WC and that will yield the extra 5ppm Mg

For the Fe EDDHA I would keep it simple, buy 10-50grams, add it to 1litre of water and just dose your tank a few drops every day, when the water turns the slightest pink you have added enough as the the Fe EDDHA will be in excess. Your first dose you might wont to add it in 1.0ml doses till you see the slightest change in colour, if your plants use up the Fe EDDHA the colour change will go. I use it with the slightest colour change of water, which is best done looking down the length of the tank.
I'd just follow the dosing regime @Zeus. has provided for you, dose TNC at the recommended rate (1 mL per 10 litre per week) and add the extra Epsom Salts and FeEDDHA.

cheers Darrel

View attachment 159589

Although TNC is one of the better AIO ferts for value for money, if you after increasing your Mg and Fe going down the double triple dosing route TNC soon becomes costly for the few extra nutrients plus it will not address the Fe EDDHA either.

For the Mg to hit 5ppm a week for 200l

View attachment 159599

Eventually purchased some Epson salts. I add two teaspoons at the WC. Need to purchase the iron now but I don't want to colour my water! I like it clear. Can I purchase a branded iron fertilizer that won't colour my water?

Eventually purchased some Epson salts. I add two teaspoons at the WC. Need to purchase the iron now but I don't want to colour my water! I like it clear. Can I purchase a branded iron fertilizer that won't colour my water?
I'm still dosing 25mls of TNC daily correct?

Hi all,

I think it is only FeEDDHA that tints the water. FeDTPA should do? Someone will know. I've only ever used FeEDTA, because I use rainwater in the tanks.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel
I use RO water so I'm in the same boat as you?

Hi all,
I use RO water so I'm in the same boat as you?
Yes you are, and you should be able to use FeEDTA as <"your chelator">.

The problem with iron (Fe) is just keeping it in solution in hard, high pH water.

Many ferric (Fe III) iron compounds <"are insoluble"> so if we add an iron salt, like <"iron chloride (FeCl3)">, to the tank the Fe+++ ions are instantly mopped up and form insoluble compounds like iron carbonate, oxide, hydroxide, <"phosphate"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Its should be fine, once mixed keep the solution in the dark as Fe DTPA is light sensitive in solution
Really dumb question: How do I mix up this iron solution and know how much to add?

Usage
10g Fe 8% DTPA Chelated + 500ml water, 1ml solution per 100 l of tank water yields a concentration of 0.016ppm Fe
20g Fe 8% DTPA + 500ml water, 1ml solution per 100 l of tank water yields a concentration of 0.032ppm Fe
hoggie

@Neil6 Unless you have no choice, personally I wouldn't recommend anything below 11% Fe. My experience bieng that the lower the Fe % the more volume you need to add to obtain the desired Fe ppm which in turn increases even further the PH of the solution. Sulphur in the Fe will also tend to drop out of solution faster. This will become even worse if you try doing some All-in-one ferts.

Have a read at this and subsequent posts: DIY Fertilizer Formula Recommendation

Last edited:
As Hogan said
View attachment 160652

dose volume will depend on what target weekly Fe ppm your will aim for, my results are for 200l tank (which is what I think you have). Did two options 10 grams or dump the whole 50grams in
Just to be 100% clear for newbie. Adding 50grams into 500mls water container then add the target MLS to my tank to get the required ppm (after 50% water change)? What is the target Fe? How many MLS of Fe solution would you recommend adding?Remember I'm dosing 25mls daily of TNC Complete already. I'm sure it's not as
confusing as I thinking it is?

@Neil6 Unless you have no choice, personally I wouldn't recommend anything below 11% Fe. My experience bieng that the lower the Fe % the more volume you need to add to obtain the desired Fe ppm which in turn increases even further the PH of the solution. Sulphur in the Fe will also tend to drop out of solution faster. This will become even worse if you try doing some All-in-one ferts.

Have a read at this and subsequent posts: DIY Fertilizer Formula Recommendation
Had forgot all about that :oops:

Back