• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal What to dooa with this.....

Looking great mate great peice of decor to have in house, i want one think i need my 900 set up before talking wife into one of these, maybe Christmas .

Were did u buy the spring tails and do they take any looking after ? And how often you mist the tank mate is it very low matainence

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Looking great mate great peice of decor to have in house, i want one think i need my 900 set up before talking wife into one of these, maybe Christmas .

Were did u buy the spring tails and do they take any looking after ? And how often you mist the tank mate is it very low matainence

Dean

Thanks Dean, they are much easier than an aquarium to maintain so it’s a good selling point, maximum impact with minimum effort. I do nothing except trim periodically. The biggest maintenance is squeegeeing the sides down so I can see in :lol:
Springtails were just from ebay and I now only mist once every few days :thumbup:
looking good @Ady34 I like the mist gives a sense of mystery to it
Cheers, id like a little less mystery :lol:

cheerio

I have looking at one of these and it's deceptive how small this fellow is!!! your photos make it look big (my brains fault I know).

The plants grew a lot and it was time to trim. Love the fact that these little terrariums can be picked up and moved so easily, makes things really easy to manage.
I didn’t really know how to tackle it so decided to just top most of the overgrown rotala bonsai and pogostemon erectus. I was surprised to find that both had formed branched multiple stems. I replanted some of the shorter trimmings to blend the heights. I considered uprooting some, however a couple of quick tugs made me realise the terrarium would have been destroyed using that technique 😬
The Monte Carlo was mowed considerably and the ranunculus thinned right back. I took the opportunity to add some aquarium water to the substrate to add extra fertiliser and moisture. Unsure wether this was necessary but felt the nutrients would be beneficial and it is still trial and error with this little system. Within a week the dooa was looking nicely formed again :)

Overgrown:

33CA4F51-37FE-4FCF-879C-F05BFD7DD610.jpeg

2938E272-D6F9-485F-91A7-638C6582E043.jpeg

there were still some stones in there....

3861A770-8E9E-4469-9D3E-DEBC5FE5048A.jpeg

trimming, I used some of the cuttings to add to the new ea600 aquascape:

7A824993-184B-4F31-90AC-CA706B72AF5E.jpeg

complete:

E66A98B2-DCC5-4BC0-88C0-1B7ADA5AEDCF.jpeg

a few days later it had regained its shape and looked a lot sharper:

331837CF-0991-422D-86A8-C6D54421788A.jpeg

Cheerio,

Last edited:
That is some seriously fast growth.

Looks great , how are you finding it what is your routine with it ? Do the spring tails try to escape and does it matter if a few jump out?

How moist do you keep it?

Do you use rain water? And what is condensation like ?

What light are you using love the baiospheres but seem expensive

Seriously want something similar now
Dean

That is some seriously fast growth.

Looks great , how are you finding it what is your routine with it ? Do the spring tails try to escape and does it matter if a few jump out?

How moist do you keep it?

Do you use rain water? And what is condensation like ?

What light are you using love the baiospheres but seem expensive

Seriously want something similar now
Dean

Hi Dean,
To be honest it gets a misting with the dooa spray every other day.
It is always misted with condensation which means you can’t see into it clearly until I’ve squeegeed the front pane :D If I left the top open more the buce and riccardia would dry out, however I’m pretty sure everything else would be good and then I wouldn’t suffer the same condensation on the glass....I’d probably need to mist daily then though which isn’t a problem.
When I trimmed it I added some tank water to the substrate. Unsure if I needed to or not 🤷‍♂️
The springtails stay put but I have noticed a reduction in their numbers, unsure why. I may add more.
The light is just a relitively cheap asta 20 on for 12 hrs per day.
Hope that helps,
Cheerio,

Hi Dean,
To be honest it gets a misting with the dooa spray every other day.
It is always misted with condensation which means you can’t see into it clearly until I’ve squeegeed the front pane :D If I left the top open more the buce and riccardia would dry out, however I’m pretty sure everything else would be good and then I wouldn’t suffer the same condensation on the glass....I’d probably need to mist daily then though which isn’t a problem.
When I trimmed it I added some tank water to the substrate. Unsure if I needed to or not
The springtails stay put but I have noticed a reduction in their numbers, unsure why. I may add more.
The light is just a relitively cheap asta 20 on for 12 hrs per day.
Hope that helps,
Cheerio,
Thanks for the info mate, i defently want something similar but the condensation puts me off as want to be able to see it

I like the look of the baiospheres aswel Nd juris says the larger one didnt mist up bit struggling to find a seller in uk.

Will keep eye out but yours looks excellent mate must be really nice to look at and something a bit different and easy.

Dean

Whilst this tall dooa terrarium came down some time ago, I never lost the enthusiasm for their simplicity.
After having my old 60cm tank temporarily housed on the kitchen worktop when we decorated the front room, I knew longer term I wanted something green on there to watch while cooking.
I wanted something super simple so opted for a smaller dooa 20cm cube which I had purchased some time ago. I added the dooa stand and magnetic light to the project for a clean look.
For constructing the terrarium I utilised two small frodo stones and a couple of pots of 1-2 grow Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba which I just chopped up in the ‘lazy dry start’ method, and sprinkled over some spare ADA version 2 soil substrate. I sprayed the substrate down until the water was level with the front substrate line. I haven’t added any extra water since planting on 31st August.
It has worked really well, with slow but healthy growth and a good transition from 1-2grow pot to emersed growth. I misted every day for a couple of weeks with the dooa wabi kusa mist, and then the frequency reduced and now I mist maybe once every 4-5 days. The lid was fully closed during the first few weeks but now is open about 5mm permanently which is great as the terrarium rarely mists up now :) it is so simple which just adds to the appeal…..I haven’t even trimmed it yet!

CB784E01-BF0A-42C3-AD54-33D2D315F4B1.jpeg

213D932D-AEF6-4A22-A710-F190DB3BCA2B.jpeg

0FD83C01-8E9B-4045-BE2C-FDBDE356B874.jpeg

Cheerio,

Last edited:
Very nice indeed and i agree i am itching for more projects and these terrariums are great low maintenance projects.

Hi,
The dooa 20x20x35 got another lease of life a long time ago in simpler form.
A bun moss creation over a terrarium mix soil to hold the moisture, with a few small frodo stones, a piece of manzanita wood and some oak leaves and gravel detail. This is super low maintenance, watering every couple of months and wiping the glass down at the same time. The near closed lid maintained humidity and the slow growing moss never needs attention…

0596B46D-9762-4F6B-AE2B-357D4C3C8077.jpeg

More recently it had a small makeover with the addition of some carnivorous drosera sp.
It’s super simple but nice and green 💚 A little more labour intensive as the lid is open more due to the wood protrusion, allowing a little extra evaporation and gas exchange so watering occurs every month now 😂… I’m considering chopping the wood down so I can close the lid over to reduce maintenance again 😁

80E5C3C8-EE90-45D6-9370-753B4C353C52.jpeg

Cheerio

Back