• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can High Temps Cause Algae?

Arturosito

So searching for the possible culprit for my thread and bba algae in both of my tanks, a possible suspect is high temp. I actually didn't have a thermometer. Have just bought one and the temp in my main tank is 85F and 88F in my nano. Could this be a contributing factor? I have good co2, EI fertilizing regyme, water changes, etc.

Only that warm water has a harder time holding on to dissolved gasses than cold water so maybe co2 level not as good as you think! Then again BBA is the type of Algae that does well for itself if every other plant is doing well and does even better if they’re not. Just keep manually removing it, you may win the battle in the end.

I didn’t get control of BBA until my CO2 was consistent and high, and I was on top of waste removal. But I would say the most help came from my nerite snails, they kept buildup to a minimum and now it’s pretty much eradicated. If it’s still there, it isn’t spreading

Scientifically, I have no idea...

But considering how green my tank went during this summer's heat wave... I'm going to say yes!

Suppose quite a few things can contribute to algae and probably every tank as it to some degree. There is a lot of opinion about ideal temperature for most plants is around 72 and most fish will be ok .Something like Discus need high temperature so narrows the plant choice down. Maybe some members ?in hot climates have experience of long hot spells. I know l have had plants do quite well in the greenhouse when it was really hot and humid

According to some (e.g. Green Aqua) it does. The theory might be like other said that the plants don't like it so much but it increases the metabolism of algae.

My tank temperature is high at the moment due to where I live and I have a fair amount of staghorn algae, but I am about to install a chiller so we will see if that helps.

So searching for the possible culprit for my thread and bba algae in both of my tanks, a possible suspect is high temp. I actually didn't have a thermometer. Have just bought one and the temp in my main tank is 85F and 88F in my nano. Could this be a contributing factor? I have good co2, EI fertilizing regyme, water changes, etc.
Hello, yes, definitely, all other things being equal, tanks with higher temperatures are more prone to algal blooms. Algae can survive in temperatures high enough to kill most plants.

As noted by other, high temperature alone is usually not a sole factor in algal blooms. Excessive lighting, poor nutrition and poor CO2, poor flow/distribution and dirty water are all contributing factors along with high temperature.

Cheers,

Back