• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light recommendation

Worshiper

There are numerous questions on here asking for lighting suggestions so please delete if repeated question.

I am looking for an LED light for an 80cm aquarium with a dimming option. Something to grow montecarlo and Blyxa Japonica.
I am limited with options as I have a low budget (80.00 to 90.00 GBP).:(

It is a repeated query, but that’s OK, it’s not the easiest answer to find if you do a Search :)

What are the tank dimensions?
L x W x H

Got
CO2?
Fertilizers?

80cm isn’t the most common light dimension (despite some manufacturers using this in their aquarium builds), so you’ll likely have to adjust scape to suit or go with same manufacturer light system (though some will just add adjustable “legs” to a common 60cm light system)

Thanks Alto. :)
It is 80×40×45. Not yet set up. I will use an FE co2 and daily dose fertilizers.

45cm high means that most LEDs will work fine to grow most plants :)

Chihiros is usually pretty economic - this can be ordered direct from Chihiros now (after the UK closure of Hinterland) and they offer a low cost add on dimmer
Note that most economic lighting won’t be RGB (or will be underpowered if RGB at lo cost)
(there are details in a ukaps topic somewhere - also check Aquasabi as some have reported excellent deals there)

You might also call AG and discuss light options/performance with them

Check the Swap forum for lighting

If you’re at all handy, there’s some 60cm lights in the Swap section
(Starting price on used aquarium kit is around 50% and down)

i was looking at Chihiros for my 80cm tank too but the lengths of most things were up to 75, then 90+ etc.

I ended up waiting the extra month and adding a little more for a Fluval planted 3.0 at £160

Sits nice and low to the tank but with a wide beam and really controllable.

i was looking at Chihiros for my 80cm tank too but the lengths of most things were up to 75, then 90+ etc.

I ended up waiting the extra month and adding a little more for a Fluval planted 3.0 at £160

Sits nice and low to the tank but with a wide beam and really controllable.

Thanks Chrisfraser05. The Fluval Aquasky is above my budget but I could buy the Fluval Aquasky 2.0.
Do you know what is the difference between the two?

I use Fluval lights on all my tanks. I have two of the 2.0s running right now. The main difference I can see between the 2.0 and the 3.0 is that the 3.0 has a manual off/on switch whilst the 2.0 can only be controlled via the Bluetooth app.

The high-tech tank I'm running with the Fluval 2.0 is 60x30x30cm, I have a Monte Carlo carpet in it which is not spreading quite as fast as I'd like, but I don't think the light is to blame- I've crystal shrimp in there so can't use EI dosing. The second tank with a 2.0 is a low-tech, low-light jungle tank. I've never turned the light up to 100% on that one.

I am not sure the 2.0 would be strong enough for a tank that is 45cm deep. I can't say for certain, however, as I've never tried it. I don't know if the 3.0 is stronger.

I'm also not sure if the 3.0 is worth the price difference as I just bought matching 2.0s because I am quite happy to use the app to control. There is one drawback to the 2.0- if there's a power cut, the light thinks it's midnight when the power comes back, which could be a serious problem with a high-tech tank if you aren't around to reset it using the app.

I use Fluval lights on all my tanks. I have two of the 2.0s running right now. The main difference I can see between the 2.0 and the 3.0 is that the 3.0 has a manual off/on switch whilst the 2.0 can only be controlled via the Bluetooth app.

The high-tech tank I'm running with the Fluval 2.0 is 60x30x30cm, I have a Monte Carlo carpet in it which is not spreading quite as fast as I'd like, but I don't think the light is to blame- I've crystal shrimp in there so can't use EI dosing. The second tank with a 2.0 is a low-tech, low-light jungle tank. I've never turned the light up to 100% on that one.

I am not sure the 2.0 would be strong enough for a tank that is 45cm deep. I can't say for certain, however, as I've never tried it. I don't know if the 3.0 is stronger.

I'm also not sure if the 3.0 is worth the price difference as I just bought matching 2.0s because I am quite happy to use the app to control. There is one drawback to the 2.0- if there's a power cut, the light thinks it's midnight when the power comes back, which could be a serious problem with a high-tech tank if you aren't around to reset it using the app.

Thanks Lilirose. That's very detailed and really helpful!

Chihiros is usually pretty economic - this can be ordered direct from Chihiros now (after the UK closure of Hinterland)

Sorry to hijack.

@alto do you have a link to there store? I can't see anything on the site that allows or hints at direct ordering.

Cheers

Sorry I don’t recall which ukaps member discussed this - maybe start a new topic with that query?
as I recall (perhaps incorrectly) the poster had contacted Chihiros (and depending on purchase source, warranty differed ... just the usual accredited dealer situation)

Back