• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Eruption', my lockdown scape

Can ask where you get hold of the following Ascorbic Acid and Potassium Sorbate ?
eBay ;)

I am also very intered this this method of only 1 mix if it isnt to much hastle i will have a read through that thread soon thanks paulo
It just removed the hassle altogether! just one pump needed and one solution container ;)

Then you suck on the outlet tube with the Lilly pipe off.
Hiya Ed, i was just doing that, I was sucking 😅, till I turned beetroot, but still couldn't get the siphon going, finally got going after quite a few tries.

The filter is actually sat on a anti vibration mat, and I have acoustic foam panel installed around the filter to dampen the hum, its not to intrusive normally but I have been working at home like alot of people, sat next to filter. I suspected all filters will a make some noise, thou the cleaning is a pain.

I guess i could make a pre filter of some description, i seem recall seeing a post about doing this many moons ago, but suspect it would reduce the flow.

I guess if it was hidden behind a cabinet it would be better but as suggested I really like the look of it so have on display. 😂

Last edited:
I never any issues with the siphon.
When cleaning my filter I always run my spring brush thru the input at the bottom as one time I had a couple of those square charcoal sponges somehow get up inside ether metal pipe. I have several of the ADA super jets. My new tank has the ES1200. So I am always cleaning and checking them out.

check the aquael ultramax series:) , the ultramax 1000 or 1500 would be great for your 60p.

Hiya cookies, thanks for the suggestion, I've forgotten about this brand, everyone seem to talk about Oase filter these days.

Finally got round to looking at the Aquael filter, it also has a prefilter section, but you can't install an heater, so would need to keep my inline going 🤔. From some of the reviews I've read it run quite quiet which important.

I actually like the appearance of the Aquael over the Oase (it black), that's a factor as I don't have a door to that section of my base cabinet, so filter would be on show. It also cheaper so thats another factor. If I went with Aquael i would get the 1500 model the 2000 would seem excessive for my 60p, just need to check the tap/ tube sizes as I don't want to have to replace the other equiment.

Thou i do dearly love my ADA, apart from the issues I've stated, thou Ed doesn't seem to have issue i have. I guess i will put alittle more thought into it before i take the plunge.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Hiya Cockies, Just seen a review on the Aquael on the tube, apparently when you need to open the canister, alot of water dose come out, is this some you find.

I wonder dose the Oase filter have the same issue 🤔.

My tank is on the top level of my house and we have carpeted floors. I know not the best place for a tank but its the only space I'm allowed to have my tanks. 😅.

Last edited:
Hiya Cockies, Just seen a review on the Aquael on the tube, apparently when you need to open the canister, alot of water dose come out, is this some you find.

I wonder dose the Oase filter have the same issue .

My tank is on the top level of my house and we carpeted floors. I know not the best place for a tank but its the only space I'm allowed to have my tanks. .
Hi mate like i say i am a fan of the oase filters as been using mine for maybe close to a year now and love it, but i am by no means experienced with many filters i have had a eheim and a fluval g6 and oase, the whole point of pre filter is you barley ever have to go into main filter as stated george farmer hasnt for his entire tank so far and that was over 18 months as the prefilter is so good, i upgraded to the orange sponge ones as more course so better flow and still catches all detritus and purchased some spares for my next setup as only cheap so can literally remove prefilter and swap sponges then clean later in sink.

As regard to main compartment you twist the lock for pipes for prefilter and when i have removed the lid of main compartment cant rember water coming out at all. Great solid filters i think and hopefully a more powerful ones comes soon as i am hoping the 600 will do for my aquascaper 900 for now.

Hope this helps a little its just my experience so far but cant comment on the other filter your asking about as never owned.
Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ada filters are known to be noisy

I wonder dose the Oase filter have the same issue 🤔.

My tank is on the top level of my house and we carpeted floors. I know not the best place for a tank but its the only space I'm allowed to have my tanks. 😅.

Actually that’s because this YouTube guy doesn’t read the notice; to avoid that water coming out;

first turn the INLET off, then wait 5 seconds, unplug the filter, and then turn the OUTLET off. no problem then :)

As for the heater, you don’t need it as long as your tank is located in a living room and you doesn’t keep discus or rams. :)

Thanks Deano3 and CooKieS, for both your input.

The prefilter feature is one main reason I would like to change my current filter, and both if these filter have this feature.

Oase 350 turns over 1000 litre per hour
Aquael 1500 turns over 1500 litre per hour.

In both case its likely half the stated turnover after filter media, and both filter use bigger tubing so would need to install reducer in both cases which would likely reduce flow even more 🤔.

Morning :)
How about the Oase 600 and utilise the flow controls on the input and output pipes if the flow from that is just too much.

Morning :)
How about the Oase 600 and utilise the flow controls on the input and output pipes if the flow from that is just too much.

Hiya Melll, how's your lovely big big tank coming along, did you manage to catch all your fish.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is something I'm considering thou im not sure if doing will damage the pump on either these two filters in the long term🤔.

Lots to think about. 😅

Last edited:
Still at the drinking coffee and giving it a good coat of looking over 😃 I am hopefully getting some driftwood, maybe this weekend if all goes well. The part of Leicester I live in came out of lockdown last weekend...... freedom :)

I think I have a layout planned for the Big Big tank but until I do it I`m not sure if it will just look a bit naff 🤔 so trial and error on that.

Why not give Oase a call or an email to ask them? They are really nice people, I had the heater break in my biotherm600 as it was still under warranty, they were contacted, they sent me a new heater and the bung to stop up the heater hole as I mentioned I may not put the heater back inside the filter. Everything was FOC. :)

Hi all, We use them all the time in the lab., you can get a perfectly adequate "magnetic hot plate stirrer" for £50, and even less if you don't have the heating option.

cheers Darrel

Hiya Darrel, yeah I seen them for as little as £20 on aliexpress but can't acount for their reliability, I'd genuinely never heard of this device before London dragon mentioned in his journal. I thought it was quite ingenious of him to put his dosing contain on it and set timer to mix the fertiliser solution before each dose.

Hiya Melll, how's your lovely big big tank coming along, did you manage to catch all your fish.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is something I'm considering thou im not sure if doing will damage the pump on either these two filters in the long term🤔.

Lots to think about. 😅

you got flow control on the aquael too, and it’s OK for the pump as it’s designed to actually reduce the flow.;)

you got flow control on the aquael too, and it’s OK for the pump as it’s designed to actually reduce the flow.;)

Thanks CookieS,

Amazing layout on your new scape BTW, I certainly be following your journal to see how that one turns out.

I was just thinking once get the filter all I need is another 60P tank and I wouldnt need much else in terms of equiment, I could set up another tank with all my old kit , thou would have to hide that one from the misses. I wonder if that 60P i saw on another post recently is still for sell 😅😉🤔.

Last edited:
Thanks CookieS,

Amazing layout on your new scape BTW, I certainly be following your journal to see how that one turns out.

I was just thinking once get the filter all I need is another 60P tank and I could up another tank to with all my old kit , thou would have to hide that one from the misses. I wonder if that 60P i saw on another post recently is still for sell 😅😉🤔.

thanks , I would say either the oase or the aquaeI are excellent choices, with either good options (excellent Flow or integrated heater) depending of your needs. The rotor shaft is ceramic on the aquael so it’s near silent. The oase is more compact, that might be an advantage in a 60p cabinet :)

Hi all,
but can't acount for their reliability,
Pretty good I think, the impeller on a canister filter works in the same way, and you don't have the shaft etc to worry about with the stirrer. We have a few where the heating element has gone, but the stirrer bit still works.
I thought it was quite ingenious of him to put his dosing contain on it and set timer to mix the fertiliser solution before each dose
Definitely a good idea.

We use them mainly to get less soluble salts into solution, which is where the heating helps. You need a <"magnetic follower"> ("stir-bar" or "flea") and ideally a magnetic wand (just to retrieve the follower) as well.

cheers Darrel

Definitely a good idea.
Just wanted to ensure a consistant solution and not sure if any of the elements would sink to the bottom and be dosed first and then the solution would not be that accurate in the later weeks.

We use them mainly to get less soluble salts into solution, which is where the heating helps.
I saw someone using one about 20 years ago on another forum think he called himself the "mad scientist" and looked way cool! He did have proper pharmacentical containers and all that looked awesome, but those are expensive! lol

Back